PER CONCACAF here is the preliminary squad the US submitted, I believe yesterday to the Confederation. This squad will be trimmed to 23 players next week.
Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan, Marcus Hahnemann, Troy Perkins, Luis Robles
Defense: Jonathan Bornstein, Danny Califf, Steve Cherundolo, Jay DeMerit, Clarence Goodson, Eric Lichaj, Chad Marshall, Michael Orozco, Michael Parkhurst, Heath Pearce, Marvell Wynne
Midfield: Freddy Adu, Davy Arnaud, Ricardo Clark, Benny Feilhaber, Eddie Gaven, Stuart Holden, Pablo Mastroeni, John Thorrington, Jose Torres
Forwards: Jozy Altidore, Conor Casey, Kenny Cooper, Charlie Davies, Jeremiah White
Omissions: Marco Vidal played a key role in taking Indios from possible relegation to the semifinals of the Mexican Clausura. In a Yanks Abroad interview last month he lobbied for a Gold Cup call up. One of Bob Bradley’s best traits on this job has been hisability to pursue and win the services of key Mexican-American footballers featuring in the FMF. Two, Michael Ororzco and Jose Torres have chosen the US largely because of Bradley’s persistance.
Jimmy Conrad still may be the second best American central defender but seeing this squad we must simply assume his national team career has ended. Conrad hasn’t earned a non January camp call up since the Copa America two years ago.
Positives: The timely recalls of Jeremiah White and John Thorrington have rebuilt some of my faith in Bob Bradley. The wide play from the US has been atrocious this year, except when Jose Torres has played, and it seemed like Bradley had lost track of what these two skilled attacking players who can drift wide were doing at their clubs.
Davy Arnaud can also play on the right side or in the middle. His call up would be welcomed. Stuart Holden has earned this opportunity also. Kenny Cooper has been called up but from my perspective it’s insulting that his last call up with a bonafide US “A” team was in March 2007.
Eric Lichaj hasn’t broken into the first team at Aston Villa but is a skilled defender and given the perennial clumsiness of the US defense and holding midfield under Bradley, it’s good to see his call up.
Brad Guzan who I believe is not one of the top five American keepers will continue to feature regularly as long as Bradley is the manager. That’s unfortunate but I am thankful Marcus Hahnemann is still in the picture and can be called upon quickly if Tim Howard happens to be injured next year.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family