As if their lead was not wide enough, Barcelona could really seem uncatchable with only two weeks left in the first half of the season. It’s not going to be easy for the blaugrana as they will face current cellar dwellers in Osasuna. These are the kinds of matches that can be very tricky for a team like Barca. Remember the old adage… hunger and necessity always trump history. Right now Osasuna are in danger of relegation and justa point against the league leaders will be more than enough at the Reyno de Navarra. There is a chance that they could get all three as El Rojillo are one of those teams that have given Barcelona fits in recent years.
The win will keep pressure on the peloton that are behind them; but there are certain results that must emerge. Valencia know that only a win will help as they have Real Madrid and Sevilla breathing down their necks. Los Ches will host a Yellow Submarine that have quickly deep-sixed in the past two months. Villarreal are winless in their last four league matches and have struggled since their last road win at Recreativo on November 30th.
La Liga history will be made on Sunday. Real Madrid head to Mallorca to face another relegation-compromised side; and there is no pleasure in this trip. For Madrid, the Mallorcans are a tricky on the road. Raúl will make history in Spanish football this weekend as he will become the sixth player in league history to play in 500 games. He will also become the youngest to reach that number. The last player to reach this milestone was a former teammate of the Madrid demigod, Nano Soler. The veteran journeyman achieved this in the 1995-96 season when he was in the final stage of his career defending the colors of Mallorca. If all goes well for the Madrid striker he could surpass his former teammate in the when they travel to Gijón in February.
1. Andoni Zubizarreta (622)
2. Eusebio (543)
3. Paco Buyo (542)
4. Manolo Sanchís (523)
5. Nano Soler (504)
6. Raúl González Blanco (500)
9. Xavi Hernández (300)
Sevilla seem like they are going through déja vu as they play Deportivo again. Baby Depor could end up in third place by the end of the weekend if they win and Madrid and Aleti loses to Athletic Bilbao. In La Coruña, this team is starting to reminisce about its teams from back in the 90’s and earlier in the decade.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more