On the newly re-launched Third Half podcast (a roundup show for all the Talk web sites), I had a great discussions with host Jonathan Starling about the goings-on of Match-day 2.
It was a Match-day that saw debutants BATE Borisov and CFR Cluj pull off draws (and one might say they were unlucky to not win outright) against their more experienced opponents.
Were Real Madrid, Juventus and Chelsea guilty of not coming prepared for their opponents? Real Madrid seemed to feel they could sit on their 2-1 lead after bossing the early going. Zenit had other ideas and attacked relentlessly in the 2nd half and were unlucky not to get something from the match.
Juventus came out flat against BATE and quickly found themselves two goals down. They struck back and leveled things before the end of the first half but seemed content to play for the draw in the 2nd.
Chelsea were fortunate in many ways to escape with a draw. Cluj played a very disciplined, organized game and did not let themselves get played off the park. Chelsea had a slight advantage in ball possession but not too the point where I felt they dominated the bulk of the match. The matches are only going to get tougher for the new teams and I don’t think anyone is going to be underestimating them anymore.
Match-day 3 should be fascinating as some of the ‘second-tier’ clubs face off against one another and we should start to see some patterns emerge from the groups.
Enjoy the podcast and I’ll be back next week with more news and analysis.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Chile name Argentine Berizzo as new coach after World Cup qualification failure
- Canada Soccer cancels Iran football friendly: statement
- Paris readies for Liverpool fan invasion
- How to watch Champions League Final for free without cable
- Aston Villa to sign Sevilla defender Diego Carlos
- RB Salzburg midfielder Aaronson joins Leeds
- Real Madrid remain Europe’s most valuable football club: studies
- Man Utd banking on Ten Hag to lift mood at Old Trafford
- Why possession is not the key factor in 2022 Champions League Final
- Bronze to leave Women’s Super League club Man City