Fullerton’s Titan stadium is the venue for a clash that will determine who will win Group B of Superliga. New England merely needs a draw to win the group, Chivas a victory and a Pachuca loss or draw. The winner of this match is guaranteed passage to the next round. For the loser, elimination is not certain but nor is passage. Should be a great night of football from Superliga 2008.
After an early attempt by Sainey Nyassi on goal and a good save by Dan Kennedy, Chivas once again takes control of the match with New England looking tired from their heroic ordeal on board an American Airlines flight the other day and the Revs get burned by Ante Razov’s sixth goal in six games. Incidentally no other Chivas player has scored in the last month.
New England begins to push guys forward and makes two tactical changes leaving themselves exposed at the back. But given New England’s quality and ability to control matches this season, do we really expect Chivas USA to win this match? I certainly don’t but right now am being proven wrong. Honestly, New England is likely to score at any point. Shalrie Joseph and Stevie Ralston were both quiet in the first half but now they seem to want to assert themselves on this match and as we know when they both are playing well, the Revs are tough to beat.
New England continues to use slow, patient build up to create chances and finally they score a goal on a nice Ralston corner right to Joseph’s head. Dan Kennedy probably could have saved the shot, but honestly I think the man marking was really poor by Chivas on the corner.
Now that it’s tied and Joseph and Ralston are playing well, I expect New England to kill this game off holding the ball as much as possible and giving Chivas very little possession. As it turns out Chivas gets more possession than I expected but it wasn’t exactly good possession and New England as expected gets the draw and advances as Group B Champions. The Goats now await their fate: a Pachuca win or draw versus Santos Laguna and they are eliminated. A Santos win allows Chivas to advance to face Houston. Santos Laguna has been eliminated.
Not much to say about this first half other than this match is providing us with very little in the way of good football. Matt Reis made the play of the first half with a diving save on a nice left footed shot by Jesse Marsch while New England’s best chance came via a wonderful through ball from Shalrie Joseph to Kheli Dube which left Dube in space potentially one on one with Dan Kennedy, but Dube had an awful touch and the ball went over the touch line harmlessly for a goal kick. New England’s back line has been poor while Chivas has controlled the midfield but run out of ideas in the final third.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ViX+ reveals pricing details and soccer coverage plans
- Get a Paramount+ one month free trial for a limited time
- Who should host the World Cup Final in 2026?
- Where to find Orlando Pride vs. Racing Louisville on US TV
- Ronaldo wants to leave Man United – reports
- Kylian Mbappé can shock the world again at World Cup 2022
- What is the best soccer stadium in the world?
- Where to find Santos vs. Flamengo on US TV
- Where to find Fluminense vs. Corinthians on US TV
- Romelu Lukaku homecoming provides opportunity at Inter Milan