A quick review on two excellent trivia volumes that were sent our way from Apex Publishing.
The first is The Tottenham Hotspur Quiz Book, which was compiled by John DT White and includes a foreword written by two Spurs legends – Gary Mabbutt and Pat Jennings. The 1,250 questions in this quiz book cover every aspect of Spurs’ long history, including players, managers, opponents, scores, transfers, League positions, Cup competitions, and much more. Didn’t know that Spurs were UEFA Cup winners in 1972? Or that they won the European Cup Winners Cup back in 1963? This book will sharpen your knowledge about Spurs. One thing I learned from this book was the meaning of the Spurs slogan “Audere-Est-Facere” — “To Dare Is To Do,” Yes, I suppose I could have looked it up on Wikipedia but having a trivia book in front of me, my curiosity about the club and respect for their history grew.
Tottenham are a club with a tremendous history, being the first club in the 20th century to achieve the League and FA Cup double. Their Cup Winners Cup victory in 1963 made them the first British club to win a major European trophy — four years before Celtic would claim the European Cup. Their recent fortunes have not been so rosy but with another venture into Europe this season and a bright manager at the helm, who knows what lies ahead.
In much the same way, The West Ham United Quiz Book was compiled by author Chris Cowlin also got me to learn a bit more about West Ham. Cowlin has compiled several dozen quiz books for other English football clubs like Sunderland, Watford, Norwich and many others. The book contains 128 pages of questions and answers that will stump even the most ardent West Ham supporters.
All in all there are 1000 trivia questions related to the club’s achievements, its famous managers and star players past and present. Didn’t know Harry Redknapp was once manager of West Ham? Or that English internationals Jermain Defoe, Frank Lampard, Michael Carrick and Rio Ferdinand all came up through the West Ham ranks? The book not only reveals those facts but tests you on their time at the club. A must for any fan that has the West Ham claret and blue running through their veins.
Both books are excellent for stumping your friends when they come over to watch the next big EPL clash or even if you are down at the pub having a pint with your pals. What’s truly excellent about both books is that £1 from each sale is donated to the Willow Foundation (www.willowfoundation.org.uk), which sponsors special days for seriously ill young adults.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Vinícius and Foden should be in the ‘best young talent’ talk
- US Soccer releases report detailing abusive behavior in NWSL
- Book review of ‘How to Win the World Cup’ by Chris Evans
- Manchester United defeat highlights Ten Hag’s need for rotation
- 5 must-see Champions League games in matchday three
- Where to find Leicester City vs. Nottingham Forest on US TV
- Will FOX broadcast the World Cup in 4K?
- Where to find Chicago Red Stars vs. Angel City FC on US TV
- Where to find Portland Timbers vs. LAFC on US TV
- Where to find Man City vs. Man United on US TV