Norman Hubbard of ESPN Soccernet has written an interesting article on who he thinks have been the worst players of the season so far. Personally, most of the article is spot on but there are a few choices that I don’t agree with.
Liverpool – Peter Crouch.
Has Hubbard not seen Sissoko play this season? I’d easily nominate him ahead of Crouch for worst player. Hubbard also cites Crouch for a poor performance against Marseille but fails to mention that Crouch has scored 4 goals in 6 CL appearances this season.
Manchester City – Darius Vassell. Vassell is probably the last of the Man City forwards that I would nominate though certainly the whole crew deserve a nomination. Vassell has been stuck out wide as a right winger and you can hardly fault him for that. He’s simply going out there and working as hard as he can in the role he’s been given. A better choice may have been either Samaras or Bianchi who are usually quite anonymous and don’t appear to be working too hard when given an opportunity.
Aston Villa – Curtis Davies. I concur that Davies has not had an impact on the club as of yet but he has been solid in Villa’s recent matches. To say that Zat Knight has made a rather quicker impact is not telling the whole story. I think the rest of the defensive unit around Knight has helped him tremendously but that has not prevent him from looking poor at times (particularly against Manchester United and Chelsea). I would have nominated Stillian Petrov who has only shown brief flashes of what he is capable of doing.
Who would you nominate and why?
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Qatar World Cup’s perplexing personal safety concerns
- Nottingham Forest need penalties to reach playoff final
- Liverpool beat Southampton to take title race to final day
- Frankfurt boosted by Lindstrom return for Europa League final
- Manchester United 2022/23 shirts leaked ahead of new season
- Senegal’s president supports Gueye after homophobia accusations
- Roofe gives Rangers cover for Europa League final
- Lucky trousers, big dreams as Glasner leads Frankfurt to Europa League final
- Hamburg relishing play-off bid to return to Bundesliga
- Houghton picked in provisional England squad for women’s Euros