Members of the 20 Premier League clubs will convene in Leicester today and tomorrow for their annual meeting. At the top of the agenda will be a topic that could have a profound impact on the future of the game — determining the league’s global expansion plans.
According to The Press Association, a watered down version of the 39th Game concept will be considered which proposes a number of key friendlies between Premier League clubs around the world each preseason. Possible sites mentioned are South Africa, United States, Asia and Middle East.
If the Premier League does decide to embark on such a concept, I believe the clubs are making a big mistake by compromising so much that the league is left with a friendly tournament that is basically a warmed up version of its current Barclays Asia Trophy competition.
When the world is their oyster, why be so conservative? Why not shoot for the stars and develop an original idea that will excite Premier League fans worldwide? Think big.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season