The English FA fined and suspended Leeds United manager Jesse Marsch following an incident earlier in the month. Marsch, 48, received a one-game touchline ban. Moreover, the FA handed Marsch a fine of $11,500. This stems from a heated argument with officials in Leeds’s 5-2 loss at Brentford on Sep. 3.

The FA claimed that Marsch was punished for breaking rule E3 in the book. Also, it asserted that he acknowledged wrongdoing. “The manager admitted that his language and behavior during the 64th minute of that game was improper,” read the official statement.

Leeds manager Marsch fined and suspended for clash with referee

At the time, Leeds trailed hosts Brentford 3-1. The center official waved away a penalty claim from the Whites. Defender Aaron Hickey appeared to commit a clumsy tackle on Leeds winger Crysencio Summerville inside the box. A penalty, however, was never given and VAR did not intervene.

Marsch was shown a red card by referee Rob Jones in the subsequent minutes after the controversial incident. The manager was clearly fuming at the decision not to award his team a penalty. He then voiced his opinions to the fourth official. Brentford went on the win the match comfortably.

After the match in question, Marsch did not let up on his frustrations.

He was initially upset when Brentford benefited from penalty in the first half. He felt as if the his team’s penalty claims were actually stronger.  “When I saw it at half-time, I didn’t believe it’s a penalty and if it is, it’s an incredibly soft one,” claimed the manager.

“Then there’s an action where I think Summerville is actually more of an egregious foul and it doesn’t even get looked at for VAR, I’m clearly dissatisfied. I’ve got to figure out how to have discussions with the League or with referees to help understand how some decisions get made.”

That suspension would have occurred this upcoming weekend against Manchester United. However, due to a necessary police force required in London with The Queen’s funeral, Leeds will next host Aston Villa on Sunday, October 2nd. Marsch will have to wait an extra week, or at least game, to make his return to the sidelines.