Rome (AFP) – Nigerian striker Victor Osimhen inspired a 2-1 win over Udinese to help Napoli climb level on points with Serie A leaders AC Milan on Saturday as an ultra-tight fight for the title heats up in Italy.
Osimhen was the hero of the hour as his two goals on 53 and 63 minutes sealed the win at the Stadio Maradona in Napoli for Luciano Spalletti’s rampaging side.
After his double at Verona last week got Napoli back to winning ways Osimhen, still wearing a face mask to protect his injured cheek bone, levelled the scores with a header after Gerard Deulofeu’s opener midway through the first half for the visitors, before his cross shot put them ahead.
Napoli now have 63 points, level with AC Milan, who play at Cagliari later, and four points ahead of Inter Milan who have played two games less and take on Fiorentina at home also on Saturday.
Udinese had Pablo Marri sent off on 82 minutes as the visitors came under growing pressure, but saw out the match without further damage.
Napoli are chasing a first Serie A title since the days when Diego Maradona inspired them to their only Italian league titles in 1987 and 1990.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Guardiola adamant winning Premier League harder than Champions League
- Klopp refuses to dream of stunning Premier League title triumph
- Berkane sink Pirates on penalties to maintain Moroccan dominance
- Ecuador World Cup spot at risk after potential ineligible player
- Real Madrid look to Liverpool after goalless draw with Real Betis
- McKennie back in US squad for June friendlies, Nations League
- FIFA to announce 2026 World Cup host cities in June
- Rangers seek Scottish Cup silver lining after Europa pain
- Rangnick to meet Ten Hag as Man Utd seek Europa League salvation
- EPL commentators on NBC: May 22