Glasgow (AFP) – Giorgos Giakoumakis scored his second hat-trick in five games as Celtic moved six points clear at the top of the Scottish Premiership with a 4-0 thrashing of 10-man Ross County on Saturday.
The Hoops had the points wrapped up within 26 minutes as Giakoumakis headed home Jota’s cross at the far post, thrashed home his second from close range and then nodded down for Daizen Maeda to make it 3-0.
An uphill task for County was made impossible when Kayne Ramsay was shown a straight red card from a lunge on Tom Rogic on 28 minutes.
At that stage Celtic would have expected to add many more goals to their significant goal difference advantage over Rangers, which could prove vital with two Old Firm clashes to come in the final seven league games of the season.
However, there was just one more in the second half as Giakoumakis completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot to take his tally for the season to 12.
Europa League quarter-finalists Rangers can cut the gap at the top back to three points when they travel to bottom-of-the-table Dundee on Sunday.
Dundee will also be desperate for the points after Callum Hendry’s double in a 2-1 win for St Johnstone over Motherwell opened up a four-point gap at the foot of the table.
In the battle to make it into the top six for the end-of-season split, Dundee United were the big winners as a 96th minute strike from Mark McNulty beat St Mirren 2-1 to move Tam Court’s side up to fourth.
Aberdeen also remain in the hunt for a top-six finish after coming from behind to beat Hibernian 3-1 thanks to two Lewis Ferguson penalties.
Hearts now have a 14-point advantage in third place after they beat Livingston 2-0 at Tynecastle.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Rangers and Frankfurt roll back the years for retro Europa League final
- Klopp confident Salah, Van Dijk fit for Champions League final
- Newcastle blow up Arsenal’s Champions League dream
- Clint Dempsey joins FOX Sports for World Cup 2022 coverage
- Newcastle blow up Arsenal’s Champions League dreams
- Chiellini says goodbye to Juve fans as last-gasp Lazio make Europa League
- Blackpool’s Daniels ends 32-year wait for gay UK male footballer to come out
- Liverpool assess Salah, Van Dijk ahead of Southampton clash
- African players in Europe: Mane has last laugh on Mendy
- Anti-homophobia group demands PSG explain Gueye absence