Los Angeles (AFP) – Former US international Steve Cherundolo was named as the new head coach of Los Angeles FC on Monday, the Major League Soccer club announced.
Cherundolo, who has spent the past year as coach of LAFC’s United Soccer League affiliate Las Vegas Lights, replaces Bob Bradley, who left the club in November after four years in charge.
The 42-year-old Cherundolo moved into coaching after a 15-year playing career with German club Hannover 96.
The former right-back won 87 caps for the United States, and appeared in World Cups in 2002, 2006 and 2010.
“We know what works for LAFC and also what works in MLS, and Steve has a unique blend of international and domestic experience at the highest levels that matches those needs,” LAFC general manager John Thorrington said.
Cherundolo, who obtained a coaching license from European governing body UEFA in 2020, said he was relishing the chance to test himself in MLS.
“Having been a part of the club for the past year, I was able to see firsthand that the fans, city, and organization are all extraordinary,” he said.
“Furthering the club’s endeavors on and off the field are my main focus and I can’t wait to get started.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Ukraine will be ready for World Cup play-off: Scotland boss Clarke
- Avram Glazer defends Man Utd reign after troubled season
- Mbappe says he consulted Macron over PSG deal
- West Ham’s Zouma in court over ‘cat abuse’ video
- Mbappe says he will not overstep role as a player under PSG deal
- Dortmund name Terzic as new head coach, sign Ozcan from Cologne
- Man City’s Mendy pleads not guilty to nine sex offences
- New Man Utd boss Ten Hag aims to smash Liverpool-City duopoly
- Teenager Fati summoned by Spain for Nations League matches
- Guardiola hails ‘legends’ as Man City prepare to party