Lyon (AFP) – Lyon have completed the signing of Swiss international midfielder Xherdan Shaqiri from Liverpool, the two clubs announced on Monday.
The 29-year-old moves for an initial fee of six million euros, rising to a potential total of 11 million euros ($12.9m) with bonuses, Lyon said, and has signed a contract until 2024.
Capped 96 times by Switzerland, Shaqiri played for Basel, Bayern Munich and Inter Milan before moving to England in 2015 when he signed for Stoke City.
He then joined Liverpool in 2018 and made 63 appearances for the Anfield club over the last three seasons, leaving with winners medals in the Premier League, Champions League, Club World Cup and UEFA Super Cup.
“Everybody at Liverpool FC thanks Xherdan for his contributions over the past three seasons and wishes him the very best for the rest of his career,” said a club statement.
He is the second player to move to Lyon from the Premier League in recent days after Italian international left-back Emerson Palmieri signed on loan from Chelsea.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Real Madrid look to Liverpool after goalless draw with Real Betis
- McKennie back in US squad for June friendlies, Nations League
- FIFA to announce 2026 World Cup host cities in June
- Rangers seek Scottish Cup silver lining after Europa pain
- Rangnick to meet Ten Hag as Man Utd seek Europa League salvation
- EPL commentators on NBC: May 22
- Marsch expects to stay on even if Leeds are relegated
- Bad blood stirred by scarf row ahead of German Cup final
- Gerrard only has eyes for Villa despite Premier League drama
- Stones, Walker returns boost Man City for final-day decider