Madrid (AFP) – Barcelona president Joan Laporta described the European Super League as a “necessity” on Thursday but said the final decision would be given to the club’s members.
Barca, Real Madrid and Juventus are the only clubs yet to withdraw officially from the breakaway competition, which lasted just 48 hours before the project imploded.
Nine of the 12 clubs involved have pulled out.
With total debts of more than a billion euros, Barcelona are struggling to keep up with Europe’s elite, making the prospect of a hugely lucrative new tournament particularly attractive.
But Laporta said Barca’s members would have to approve the idea in a vote.
“We understand it is a necessity but on the other hand, the members will have the last word,” Laporta told Catalunya Radio.
“It is absolutely necessary the big clubs are able to express our opinion about the distribution of wealth given we contribute a lot.
“It has to be an attractive competition based on sporting merit. We are open to dialogue with UEFA.”
La Liga president Javier Tebas seemed keen to ease tensions with Spain’s three breakaway clubs when he said football’s governing bodies were looking for “protective measures” instead of punishments.
Atletico Madrid announced they had pulled out of the European Super League on Wednesday.
“We’re not talking about sanctions,” said Tebas in a press conference. “Everyone wants to cut everyone’s head off but we have procedures. We dont need to rush into things.
“The most important thing is these clubs have been sanctioned by their own fans. The sanction is the hit to their reputations.”
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family