London (AFP) – Scottish giants Rangers have allowed their foreign players to return home while the football calendar is suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Manager Steven Gerrard, who will also split his time between Glasgow and home in Liverpool, believes his foreign contingent are best to spend the shutdown nearer their loved ones if they can travel, with restrictions on border crossings across the world.
Football in Scotland has been indefinitely suspended to help halt the spread of the coronavirus.
“Players from out-with the UK have been allowed to return home but are on strict programming including diet recording,” Rangers said in a statement.
“Some players have decided not to return home and have remained in Glasgow.
“The club’s management are in daily dialogue with each player and are monitoring the ongoing situation regarding the virus.
“The manager will continue to balance his time between Glasgow and home during this period of uncertainty.”
Sonia O’Neill from Rangers women’s team has already flown home to Canada.
“A huge thank you to the staff of @RangersWFC for getting me on the next flight home,” O’Neill posted on Twitter.
“Extremely thankful to be home, it’s crazy to see how many people are stuck overseas but I hope to be back in Glasgow soon and this all passes over.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Benfica, Kyiv, Eindhoven and Rangers into Champions League play-offs
- Youngsters Fernandez, Araujo help Benfica into Champions League play-offs
- Berkane set to face Nigerian club in quest for third CAF Cup title
- Former Man Utd star Giggs ‘headbutted’ ex-girlfriend in face, court hears
- Chelsea’s Werner returns to RB Leipzig
- Nigerian clubs out of luck in CAF Champions League draws
- ESPN renews English Football League rights deal
- Giggs assault trial: ex-girlfriend details ‘red flags’
- Everton sign Belgium’s Onana from Lille
- 2022/23 Serie A prediction: Who wins the Scudetto?