London (AFP) – Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is not interested in “bargain” bids for the Premier League club and remains fully involved at Stamford Bridge, according to chairman Bruce Buck.
The Russian billionaire is not believed to have attended a home match since the spring of 2018, having taken Israeli citizenship after encountering visa renewal issues in Britain.
Plans for a new 60,000-seat stadium were shelved around the same time, but Buck said Abramovich has no intention to offload the club.
“So far as I know, absolutely not. To the contrary — I have never heard a word from Mr Abramovich: ‘Let’s get this ready for a sale,’ or something,” Buck told the Guardian newspaper.
“Because of the political situation, there are people who think they might want to buy Chelsea Football Club at a bargain. We do get enquiries and we really have nothing to say to these people.
“In terms of being involved, in looking at new players, talking about whether to extend players’ contracts, do we buy this player, do we sell this player, (Abramovich) was always intimately involved in that from day one and is just as intimately involved now.
“He talks to Marina (Granovskaia) — the board member who supervises the football operation — several times a day, every day. Marina has been doing that for seven or eight years. That hasn’t let up or changed at all.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- FOX Sports to feature US Soccer float in Macy’s Parade
- FOX says US-England could rank in top 5 biggest games ever
- Umbro’s USA away kit better than Nike’s World Cup effort
- Man City vs Man United: TV coverage details
- Potter magic seals first league win as Chelsea boss
- Bundesliga in talks with private equity firms to sell media rights
- Gareth Bale debuts own craft beer ahead of World Cup
- Arsenal extend Adidas kit deal until 2030 on eve of derby win
- Where to find Crystal Palace vs. Chelsea on US TV
- Where to find Liverpool vs. Brighton on US TV