Zagreb (AFP) – Croatia’s 2018 World Cup qualifier against Kosovo was abandoned midway through the first half in Zagreb on Saturday because of a waterlogged pitch.
The game was level at 0-0 when the players went off and will be replayed on Sunday.
“The #WCQ match between Croatia and Kosovo has been abandoned due to adverse weather conditions and postponed for Sunday 3 September,” FIFA said on Twitter.
The abandonment means that Croatia, temporarily at least, lose top spot in Group I of European qualifying.
Ukraine jumped up from fourth to first thanks to a 2-0 home win over Turkey as new Borussia Dortmund winger Andriy Yarmolenko scored a brace.
Iceland, who were second going into the day, saw their hopes of reaching Russia take a hit with a surprising 1-0 loss in Finland.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- New Brentford book captures heart of club: Just a Bus Stop in Hounslow
- Spurs midfielder Lo Celso joins Villarreal on loan
- African players in Europe: Dream home debut for Awoniyi
- Where to find Juventus vs. Sassuolo on US TV
- Where to find Liverpool vs. Crystal Palace on US TV
- Famous clubs battle for Champions League group slots
- Alaba free-kick gives Real Madrid win to start title defence
- Roma squeeze past Salernitana, Immobile fires Lazio to Bologna win
- Chippa inflict first loss on Orlando Pirates’ new ‘plumber’ coach
- Alexis Sanchez makes Marseille debut in Brest draw