London (AFP) – Tottenham Hotspur hinted that Harry Kane could return before the end of the season as they confirmed the England striker had suffered ankle ligament damage in last weekend’s FA Cup win over Millwall.
“We can confirm that @HKane sustained ligament damage to his right ankle during Sunday’s FA Cup win against Millwall,” the Premier League club tweeted on Tuesday.
Kane, who has scored 19 goals in the Premier League last season, had to come off after just 10 minutes of a match Spurs won 6-0 on Sunday.
There were fears the 23-year-old would miss the rest of the season as a result but Spurs did not put a timescale on his recovery.
They did however say the injury was not as serious as a similar one suffered in September that ended up keeping him out for seven weeks.
If Kane can get match fit again within six weeks, the England forward could feature in the FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea on the weekend of April 22, which marks the start of a potentially decisive period in Tottenham’s campaign.
“Harry will continue to be assessed by our medical staff while he undergoes his rehabilitation at our training centre,” Spurs added.
Kane is certain to miss Sunday’s Premier League match at home to Southampton, as well as England’s fixtures against Germany and Lithuania later this month.
League matches in April against Burnley, Swansea City, Watford and Bournemouth are also likely to come too soon for the forward.
30+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes TUDN, GolTV, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more