Berlin (AFP) – Bayern Munich central defender Mats Hummels says the club’s powerful position going into their Bundesliga home tie with Hamburg this weekend is a good measure of coach Carlo Ancelotti’s ambitions for the season.
After Robert Lewandowski last gasp equaliser saved their 2017 unbeaten record in Berlin last weekend, Bayern are five points clear at the top, and 5-1 up against Arsenal in the Champions League Last-16.
Unbeaten in 16 games against Saturday’s visitors Hamburg, Hummels, who joined from Dortmund last summer, says their position of strength is a natural state of affairs.
“We’re where we want to be, five points clear, that’s in keeping with our ambitions, we want to win it all,” he said.
He also asserted that the new coach and his avuncular attitude were going down well in the dressing room at a crucial stage of their campaign, despite Ancelotti’s middle finger gesture to fans in Berlin after their equaliser for 1-1 at Hertha last week.
“He seems to exude peace and calm. This doesn’t mean that he fails to intervene if he sees the need, but he does this in his own way,” Hummels said.
The Bayern forward line, who hit eight goals past Hamburg in a 2015 Bundesliga game, will look over their shoulders as former France international forward Franck Ribery resumed training after a seven weeks lay off.
But Ancelotti will not rush Ribery back as he wants him and Arjen Robben fit for the latter part of the season.
Hamburg were once considered Bayern’s bogey team and have gone four games unbeaten going into Saturday’s clash.
Elsewhere Saturday Borussia Dortmund travel to unpredictable Freiburg without midfielders Andre Schuerrle and Mario Goetze, who combined to score the World Cup winner over Argentina out in Brazil.
Third-placed Dortmund coach Thomas Tuchel has called for consistency and can usually count on striker Pierre Emerick Aubameyang, who was off the score sheet last week in the 3-0 hammering of Wolfsburg.
Two teams that might have been expected to challenge Bayern this season Wolfsburg and Werder Bremen, clash Friday in record setting form.
Poor form that is, as both clubs have set their own record low points tally for this stage of the season Wolfsburg on 22 and Bremen 19.
Second-placed RB Leipzig snapped a two match losing streak last weekend to maintain their eight point gap on Dortmund, and the newcomers are relieved one of their chief sources of goals is back from suspension.
Emil Forsberg has nine assists and scored his sixth goal of the campaign last week against Monchengladbach.
“That’s the Emil we all came to know during the first half of the season, The goal was like a release for him,” Leipzig head coach Ralph Hasenhüttl said.
The Swede, whose father and grandfather both played international football, signed a one-year extension until 2022 last month.
Schalke are on a run in both Europe, after a midweek win over PAOK in the Europa League and in the Bundesliga and have won their last five games against Hoffenheim, who they play on Sunday.
Bundesliga fixtures (all times GMT)
Wolfsburg v Werder Breman (1930)
Bayern Munich v Hamburg, Bayer Leverkusen v Mainz, Darmstadt v Augsburg, Freiburg v Borussia Dortmund, RB Leipzig v Cologne (1430), Hertha Berlin v Eintracht Frankfort (1730)
Ingolstadt v Borussia Monchengladbach (1430), Schalke 04 v Hoffenheim (1630)
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find Atlas vs. Cruz Azul on US TV
- Where to find Philadelphia Union vs. NYCFC on US TV
- Bale confirms MLS move to Los Angeles FC
- Bale heading to MLS with LAFC move: reports
- Where to find Austin FC vs. FC Dallas on US TV
- Nominate best soccer coverage across video, audio & written word
- Forest sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Union Berlin
- Where to find River Plate vs. Lanús on US TV
- Where to find USWNT vs. Colombia on US TV
- World Cup tickets on sale and in high demand