Beijing (AFP) – Former Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has been appointed by China’s Hebei Fortune, the club announced on social media.
“Welcome Pellegrini”, the club — which is based in the northeastern port town of Qinhuangdao — posted on China’s Twitter-like Sina Weibo, together with a picture of the Chilean.
Pellegrini, 62, who has managed clubs including Real Madrid and Malaga, has been without a team since he left Manchester City, where he spent three seasons. He was replaced by Pep Guardiola this summer.
He is the latest significant signing by a Chinese Super League team, many of whom have spent lavishly to attract star players from abroad.
Hebei have recently splashed out 18 million euros for Roma forward Gervinho and 5.5 million euros for Paris Saint-Germain’s Ezequiel Lavezzi.
Other well-known managers in China include the Brazilian Luiz Felipe Scolari at Guangzhou Evergrande and Swede Sven-Goran Eriksson at Shanghai SIPG.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ