London (AFP) – Football Association chief executive Martin Glenn claimed on Wednesday that the new England manager won’t be a “short-term mercenary”.
Glenn is on a three-man panel tasked with finding a replacement for Roy Hodgson and the group have so far formally interviewed Sunderland boss Sam Allardyce and Hull City manager Steve Bruce.
Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe and USA coach Jurgen Klinsmann are also reported to be on the FA’s shortlist, but Glenn made it clear the new man must be someone who is passionate about the role and willing to help build a strong identity throughout all the England teams.
“Everyone we’ve spoke to about the job is massively enthusiastic about the prospects for England,” Glenn told Sky Sports News.
“We’re not after a short-term mercenary, someone just to do the job for a couple of years.
“I want someone to come in to the England role to really work with not just the senior team but to make sure all the great work with the Under-16s, 17s, 18s – look at how well the Under-19s are doing now – and to knit all that together.
“We want someone to do a great job for the England national team but as well make sure all the development teams are laddering up to something more effective.”
Allardyce is reported to be the FA’s leading contender to replace Hodgson, who stepped down following England’s humiliating Euro 2016 exit against Iceland, and Glenn will deliver an update on the search to an FA board meeting on Thursday.
Hull and Sunderland are both frustrated that the FA have yet to make a decision, but Glenn won’t be hurried.
“It’s only been three weeks since the hunt started,” Glenn said.
“We’re making good progress and we’re clear about what we’re looking for. We’re pretty encouraged about what we’ve seen.
“It’s the manager of the England national team, we’ve got to get that right and got to make sure we’ve covered all various alternatives as best we can.
“I can’t be specific on timetable, we just want the right choice.”
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family