Vienna (AFP) – Austrian captain and Leicester City defender Christian Fuchs announced his retirement from international football on Wednesday, after his team unceremoniously crashed out of Euro 2016.
Touted as dark horses before the tournament, Austria failed to reproduce their impressive qualifying form, losing 2-1 to Iceland in their final group game last week to seal their fate.
“The match against Iceland was my last one in red-white-red,” said Fuchs, 30, in a video message posted on his Facebook page.
“I’m very proud of the 10 years I spent with the national team, I did everything with passion,” the former Schalke player added.
The left back signed a three-year contract last summer with Leicester and played a key role in their shock run to the Premier League title.
A full international since 2006, Fuchs earned 78 caps for his country and scored one goal.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ