Former France international Franck Ribery is suing the magazine Closer for 400,000 euros ($434,000) over an article which claimed he was implicated in a prostitution case. The 32-year-old is suing Mondadori Magazine France, which publishes Closer, for “serious prejudice to his image and dignity,” according to a document seen by AFP on Monday. Closer had claimed Ribery was going to be in contact with a court of law over a prostitution case — in fact he was only a witness.
The winger, who returned to action for his German club Bayern Munich at the weekend following a nine-month injury layoff, had previously been charged with paying for sex with an underage prostitute in 2009, although he was exonerated last year.
“Franck Ribery has once again been the victim of serious schemes committed by the French media with no aim other than to sully his reputation and throw it into the mud,” said the document.
Ribery was interviewed by police on Nov. 26 as a witness, a police source told AFP last Wednesday.
However, Closer deny having done anything wrong.
“Closer published information that was verified and confirmed by police,” the magazine’s lawyer Delphine Pando said in a statement sent to AFP.
“(Closer) took care to clarify that he was released and that no charges were brought against him.
“Closer’s editors insist that this information, which was presented as a rumour, was confirmed by Franck Ribery’s lawyer.”
Pando added that no summons had yet been received by the magazine.
- Lewandowski honored by Guinness Book of Records.
- Lahm, on Guardiola departure: ‘Another excellent coach will come along.’
- Bayern’s heights mean Guardiola might need a new puzzle.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, FS1, FS2, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $4.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ