Bayern Munich have started the search for Pep Guardiola’s replacement since it is becoming increasingly unlikely the manager will extend his contract past the summer of 2016.
According to various reports, Bayern executives have identified Borussia Monchengladbach coach Lucien Favre and former Mainz 05 boss Thomas Tuchel as possible successors to Guardiola.
Favre has been recognized at the best Gladbach coach in modern times and this season has seen his stock skyrocket due to the team’s rising fortunes. In four years, the Swiss coach has taken the club from the relegation play-offs to the Europa League and now to the brink of Champions League qualification for the first time in its history.
Just last weekend, Favre lead Gladbach past Bayern Munich 2-0 in what one publication described as a “manager win”. Gladbach’s defended deep without being negative or passive, defended as a unit, left Bayern with no option other than to play long balls from the back and hit the German champions with precise counter-attacks while sending them to a shock defeat.
While Favre is under contract with Gladbach, Thomas Tuchel is currently on gardening leave after leaving his post at Mainz 05 in May 2014.
The 41-year-old West German native is reportedly eyeing up a move to Hamburg but he’s also in contention to be Guardiola’s replacement at Bayern.
He recently moved to Munich with his family which has only fueled the rumors he will be joining the Bundesliga giants in the near future. There are reports suggesting Tuchel will be brought along as Guardiola’s assistant next season in order to get to know the dressing room and learn the methods of the former Barcelona boss.
Tuchel took charge of Mainz 05 between 2009 and 2014. He directed the club to a fifth place finish in 2011 but surprising asked to be released from his contract prematurely last season after finishing in seventh place. The club refused to release him from his deal and the manager ultimately left his position in May 2014.
Another name being linked as Guardiola’s successor is Borussia Dortmund’s Jurgen Klopp.
However, the BVB manager remains unavailable and the relationship between the two German clubs has soured recently after comments made by Bayern officials during the Marco Reus transfer saga.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family