NBC Sports Premier League host Rebecca Lowe has been named as host of the 2014 Winter Olympic Games that will be held in Russia early next year, according to a report by Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated.
Since August, Lowe has hit the ground running hosting NBC’s Premier League coverage that has generated record high ratings on NBC. Lowe was approached regarding the position of host and was asked whether she would be interested.
“When they asked if I would be interested, I was floored. I wasn’t expecting it. It is very easy to pigeonhole people and I think being a female back in the UK, I was pigeonholed as one of the females who does football (soccer) only. It’s very difficult to show people that you can actually do other things and why wouldn’t you be able to do so? I’d like the opportunity to say maybe I’m not just all about soccer, even as much as love the sport. Fingers crossed, I’m hoping I can show that.”
Coverage of the Winter Olympic Games runs from February 6-24, 2014, but Lowe will — no doubt — be in Sochi earlier than that to prepare. While it’s bad news that Lowe won’t be hosting Premier League soccer on NBC for 3-4 weeks or more, the good news is that Steve Bower has been selected as Lowe’s temporary replacement. Once the Games are over and Lowe has “recharged her batteries,” she’ll step right back in behind the desk at NBC Studios while Bower will return to England.
What games will Lowe miss while she’s in Russia hosting the Winter Olympic Games? Some key matches include Manchester City-Chelsea, Liverpool-Arsenal, Swansea-Cardiff, Arsenal-Manchester United, and possibly Man City-Man United (on either March 1, 2 or 3).
While we’ll be sad to see Rebecca Lowe go for a month, congratulations to her on a well-deserved achievement. It’s a perfect example of how flawless she and the entire TV experience has been for the Premier League this season. We can’t wait to watch her hosting the Winter Games!
It’s also a very smart move by NBC Sports to bring in Steve Bower. It’s obvious that NBC Sports is listening and reading the feedback of soccer fans who have almost unanimously raved about Bower.
Here’s our video showing a behind-the-scenes tour of NBC’s studios in Stamford, CT, as well as an exclusive interview with Rebecca Lowe on a recent Premier League Saturday:
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Silva says Man City know what he wants amid Barcelona links
- Zamalek president jailed for insulting rival
- Peacock TV wishlist of improvements to enhance streaming service
- ‘Very good’: Werner says Flick encouraged him to return to Leipzig
- Alexis Sanchez joins Marseille after leaving Inter
- CAF launches new Super League to boost clubs
- Qatar World Cup start brought forward to November 20: sources
- Qatar World Cup to start a day early on November 20: sources
- Everton succumb to injuries and lack of talent early on in season
- Where to find the MLS All-Star Game vs. Liga MX on US TV