The FA and Premier League have both ruled out any possibility of a minute’s silence as a tribute to former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher who died yesterday, aged 87.
That means there will be no minute’s silence for Thatcher at this weekend’s Premier League and FA Cup matches. However, it remains a possibility that individual clubs may request one with Wigan and Reading chairmen Dave Whelan and John Madejski respectively both in favor of a tribute to Thatcher.
Should The FA and Premier League reconsider their decision and force a blanket-wide minute’s silence for Thatcher this weekend before each match? While it’s argued that Thatcher had few connections to football, and those ties that she did have were meddlesome, what would happen when Queen Elizabeth II passes away? Would The FA and Premier League rule out a minute’s silence given that the Queen has few connections to the sport?
Share your opinions below.
Here are tonight’s Premier League news headlines:
- Football organisations rule out minute’s silence for Margaret Thatcher — The Independent
- Dave Whelan requests minute’s silence in memory of Baroness Thatcher — The Guardian
- Chelsea expect Demba Ba back for FA Cup semi — Evening Standard
- Phil Neville wants to play on in the Premier League after leaving Everton — The Telegraph
- Swansea want Romelu Lukaku on loan from Chelsea for next season — The Mirror
- Arsenal leading the chase to move for £15m Stoke City goalkeeper Asmir Begovic — The Telegraph
- Look back at Arsenal’s visit to Indonesia in 1983 — Arsenal FC
- Manchester United may be in the market for midfield reinforcements — The Guardian
- Swansea City set to hand Michu striking role against Southampton — Wales Online
- Rafael Benítez says he will return to manage Liverpool one day ‘almost certainly’ — The Telegraph
- Football Association pleased by FA Cup attendances — The Guardian
- Julio Cesar: I’m staying in London, even if QPR go down — The Mail
- FIFA payments to top executives have soared 81% in four years — Pro Soccer Talk
- Senior officers retiring to escape Hillsborough discipline is shameful — Hillsborough Disaster
- Spurs again linked with Dutch based defender Douglas — Tottenham Blog
The Nightly EPL is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s British newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly EPL on EPL Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family