AC Milan seemed to have found the right combination in the Champions League against Auxerre. A simple 2-0 win with Ibrahimovic scoring both goals supposedly solved all the problems around the rossoneri. But after the match, Ibrahimovic decided to insult Milan legend Arrigo Sacchi, and show everyone what a difficult character he is to deal with. His debut at the San Siro can be described as disappointing, and a 1-1 draw against a resolute Catania side can’t be seen as a positive result for this Milan side.
Fiorentina also experienced some disappointment in their home stadium, the Stadio Artemio Franchi. A 2-1 loss against Lazio continues Fiorentina’s poor run this season, and fans are beginning to get impatient with Mihajlovic. Three matches in the Serie A, one draw, and two losses, a very bad run for a group of fans who were hoping that the team could return to the Champions League.
The match started well with Jovetic’s replacement, Adem Ljajic, tucking away a penalty with ease. The 18 year-old Serbian was on our list of the 8 best prospects of the Serie A. Then, Lazio struck back with Ledesma, the Argentinean’s shot was deflected leaving Fiorentina’s keeper, Sebastian Frey, out of position. Then Lazio found the winner with 21 year-old Libor Kozak (another one on the list of the 8 best prospects of the Serie A) tapping in a great shot by Hernanes. Fiorentina were unable to equalize, and this loss leaves them with only one point in the Serie A out of a possible nine.
As for AC Milan’s result, things looked to start just like they did last week against Cesena, Catania were in front 27 minutes in. It was a truly spectacular volley which gave Catania the lead, Capuano directly hit the ball with force into the bottom right-hand corner. It was truly an unsaveable shot, and Abbiati already looked shaky on Catania’s previous chances on goal. The rossazzurri played smart, defensive, counter-attacking football against an AC Milan side which had trouble creating chances.
It wasn’t Ronaldinho who grabbed the equalizer, and it wasn’t Ibrahimovic either. It was the indomitable Filippo Inzaghi who salvaged a point for AC Milan. His impeccable positioning provided him the tap-in from Ronaldinho’s pinpoint pass. The rest of the match was disappointing to say the least for any AC Milan fans, you’d think that the rossoneri, in their home stadium could find a way to score a winner, but they didn’t. Catania fought well and earned an important point away from home.
What were your thoughts on AC Milan’s loss? Share your thoughts by commenting below!
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Iran national team stands in solidarity after nation erupts in turmoil
- USWNT roster announced ahead of October friendlies
- 2023 Women’s World Cup tickets go on sale from October 6th
- MLS killed the TV star: A farewell to MLS regional broadcast crews
- 5 fundamental questions MLS must answer before Apple TV launch
- Study shows Premier League clubs hit hardest by injuries
- Todd Boehly in talks to purchase Portuguese club
- Qatar affirms COVID-19 tests requirements ahead of World Cup
- Cristiano Ronaldo should have taken outrageous Saudi offer
- FIFA 23 needs to focus on things beyond Ted Lasso