I always find summer friendlies interesting, you get to see how new players interact with their new teammates as you get a sneak peak to the next season. The first “big” friendly was played out recently between Juventus and Hamburg, all of the other friendlies are against teams representing regions with the score often ending up in double figures for the Serie A teams. Other than Juve we also saw Fiorentina, Catania, Bologna, Palermo, Cesena, Chievo, and Napoli play out friendlies.
Juve’s first big test would probably be a passing grade, it wasn’t a failure, but it wasn’t a great performance. The bianconeri started with a 4-4-1-1, Storari in goal with the Italain back line (from right to left) of Motta, Legrottaglie, Ferrero, and De Ceglie. The midfield was composed of Martinez on the right wing, Lanzafame on the left wing, and Sissoko and Ekdal in the middle of the park, supporting Diego who was acting as a second striker to Trezeguet.
Things didn’t start very well, early on Guerrero hit the post after having his shot deflected by Legrottaglie, but Juventus began to wake up after that creating a great chance for Martinez, who was signed from Catania. Martinez was one on one with Hamburg goalkeeper Rost, but he began to stumble as he passed the ball to Trezeguet who also stumbled, only to have the ball taken away from a defender. A certain goal wasted by a new signing, and a player trying to return to form, not a good sign.
After that miss, it was Storari’s turn to shine, the ex-AC Milan goalkeeper completed a number of great reaction saves against Guerrero in the first half, and later also against Petric. Hamburg hit the post again with the young striker Berg (a player to look out for, very similar to Ibrahimovic), but neither of the teams were able to score, and this friendly ended 0-0.
As for looking at new signings, we got to see probably one of the strangest signings in action with Roma, Adriano made his debut for the giallorossi with a goal. Roma played a mixed team of Riscone-Brunico, and the final score was 13-0 for Roma, with the Emperor playing for 60 minutes. Ranieri is looking for revenge this season, not only against Juventus, but also against Inter Milan as he hopes to steal the scudetto from the nerazzurri.
Here are some of the other friendly results, Fiorentina beat Cortina 6-0 with Jovetic scoring a hat trick; Palermo won 7-0 against Radenthein, with 18 year-old Kasami shining with two goals; Catania were guided by Maxi Lopez in their 6-0 victory over Val di Non Monte Ozolo; Bologna beat Raliana 6-0 and Garibaldina 4-0; Chievo scored the most goals than any other friendly in their 18-0 victory over San Zeno di Montagna; and Napoli won 13-0 against US Altipani.
What are your thoughts on these friendlies? Share your thoughts below by commenting.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family