The Week 16 numbers look like this…
|5 year comparison|
|Week 16||124 GP||YTD|
|YTD – 124 Games|
Here are the attendance comparisons to 2009:
|MLS Attendance – Equal # of Home Games|
|Att||Cap %||Att||Att +/-||GP||Cap %||Cap|
|Real Salt Lake||16,045||76.46%||16,277||1.45%||8||84.16%||19,340|
|N.Y./N.J. Red Bulls||11,385||45.20%||16,277||42.97%||8||64.62%||25,189|
My disclaimer about the capacity calculations
For my calculations, I’ve taken the 3 teams playing in Amercan football stadiums, DCU in RFK, Houston in Robertson and New England in Foxboro and assigned maximum capacities at 22,500. I took the 22,500 number from an approximate average of the soccer specific stadiums in use.
The week began in Columbus on Wednesday with a crowd of just over 11,300. On Thursday, DC United had a middling turnout of 13,700+. On the weekend, Columbus did 3,000 better than their midweek match. Colorado and Dallas had underwhelming crowds in big heat. Philadelphia had a good showing of 17,200+ but I was expecting sellouts for at least the first several home matches at PPL Park. DC United closed out the week with a good showing of over 17,600.
RSL has played 4 weekday(M-F) home games, more than any other team. Interestingly, their 4 weekday matches are averaging 16,944 while their 4 weekend matches are drawing 15,610. They played 6 home weekday matches in ’09 and 5 in ’08.
Rookie Watch: Teal Bunbury scored his first MLS goal for the Wizards. Andy Najar continues to look bright for DC United while Jordan Graye was exposed on defense a few times. Zach Schilawski scored for the Revs in the N.A. SuperLiga.
|Week 16 Games|
|Columbus||0||Columbus Dispatch – Crew XTra|
|Kansas City||1||Kansas City – Hillcrest Road|
|DC United||0||DCU – Steve Goff – Soccer Insider|
|Kansas City||1||Kansas City – Hillcrest Road|
|Philadelphia||2||Philadelphia Union Talk|
|Columbus||2||Columbus Dispatch – Crew XTra|
|RBNY||0||Red Bulls Reader|
|FC Dallas||2||3rd Degree – Buzz Carrick|
|Real Salt Lake||0||RSL – Behind the Shield|
|DC United||1||DCU – Steve Goff – Soccer Insider|
|Los Angeles||2||LA – Official Blog|
|Real Salt Lake||16||9||3||4||28||13||1.75||0.81||1.88||30||15|
|NY Red Bull||16||8||2||6||18||19||1.13||1.19||1.63||26||-1|
- RSL are unbeaten in their last 18 regular season home games.
- Houston are winless in their last 6 games.
- Dallas are unbeaten in their last 6 games.
- Dallas are also unbeaten in their last 6 road games.
- Toronto are unbeaten in their last 15 regular season home games(7 in ’09).
- Los Angeles are unbeaten in their last 10 regular season home games(3 in ’09).
MLS Throw Ins
- There have been 29 draws compared to 43 in ’09 thru the first 124 matches.
- There have been 79 clean sheets in the first 124 matches, counting scoreless draws as 2.
- Through 124 games: goal scoring is down around 5% from 2009, 2.41 vs 2.54.
- RSL has lost only twice in its last 37 home matches. They lost only once in ’08 and ’09, a feat matched by Houston.
The participants in the 2010 N.A. SuperLiga and their respective finishes in the last completed season are …
|Chicago(1) v Monarchas Morelia(5)||Toyota Park, Bridgeview, IL||Wed, Jul 14|
|New England(1) v Pumas UNAM(0)||Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, MA||Wed, Jul 14|
|Houston(2) v Pachuca(1)||Robertson Stadium, Houston, TX||Thu, Jul 15|
|ChivasUSA(1) v Puebla(2)||Home Depot Center, LA, CA||Thu, Jul 15|
| Chicago(0) v New England(1)|
Morelia(2) v Pumas(2)
|Toyota Park, Bridgeview, IL||Sat, Jul 17|
| Houston(1) v Chivas USA(1)|
Pachuca(1) v Puebla(3)
|Robertson Stadium, Houston, TX||Sun, Jul 18|
|Chicago v Pumas||Toyota Park, Bridgeview, IL||Tue, Jul 20|
|New England v Morelia||Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, MA||Tue, Jul 20|
|Houston v Puebla||Robertson Stadium, Houston, TX||Wed, July 21|
|ChivasUSA v Pachuca||Home Depot Center, LA, CA||Wed, July 21|
The time stretches below start and end with a full week(minimum) between games at the front and back end.
- In a 29 day stretch, Houston and ChivasUSA will play 9 games, between MLS, US Open Cup and SuperLiga.
- In a 24 day stretch, Chicago will play 7 games, between MLS, US Open Cup and SuperLiga.
- In a 24 day stretch, New England will play 6 games, between MLS, US Open Cup and SuperLiga.
In 4th round action, Columbus(MLS) defeated Charleston(USL-2), ChivasUSA(MLS) defeated Houston(MLS) and Seattle(MLS) defeated Los Angeles(MLS).
The winner will compete in the 2011-12 CONCACAF Champions League.
The last 4th round match (ET)
- 7:30pm Harrisburg City Islanders (USL-2) at D.C. United (MLS) Maryland SoccerPlex – Boyds, MD
In the semifinals, Columbus will play the winner of the DC United/Harrisburg match and Seattle will play ChivasUSA on Sept 1, 10 p.m. ET @ Starfire Sports Complex, Tukwila, WA.
|Summer of Soccer Attendances|
|Houston v Chivas USA/Pachuca v Puebla||Robertson Stadium, Houston, TX||Sun, July 18||SuperLiga||5,007|
|Celtic v Seattle||Qwest Field, Seattle, WA||Sun, July 18||Friendly||45,631|
|Club America v San Luis||Cowboys Stadium, Dallas, TX||Sat, July 17||Friendly||27,061|
|Bolton v Charleston||Blackbaud Stadium, Charleston, SC||Sat, July 17||Friendly||5,249|
|Manchester City v Portland Timbers||Merlo Field, Portland, OR(cap 4892)||Sat, July 17||Friendly||5,018|
|Tottenham v SJ||Buck Shaw Stadium, San Jose, CA||Sat, July 17||Friendly||10,712|
|Chicago v NE/Morelia v Pumas||Toyota Park, Bridgeview, IL||Sat, July 17||SuperLiga||16,117|
|Man U v Celtic||Rogers Centre, Toronto, CA||Fri, July 16||Friendly||39,139|
|Houston v Pachuca||Robertson Stadium, Houston, TX||Thu, July 15||SuperLiga||10,400|
|ChivasUSA v Puebla||Home Depot Center, LA, CA||Thu, July 15||SuperLiga||12,617|
|Chicago v Monarchas Morelia||Toyota Park, Bridgeview, IL||Wed, July 14||SuperLiga||11,009|
|NE v Pumas UNAM||Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, MA||Wed, July 14||SuperLiga||7,201|
|Bolton v Charlotte||Transamerica Field, Charlotte, NC||Wed, July 14||Friendly||2,383|
|Portsmouth v Club America||Qualcom Stadium, San Diego CA||Wed, July 14||Friendly||9,800|
|Celtic v Philadelphia||PPL Park, Chester, PA||Wed, July 14||Friendly||???|
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family