Connect with us

General

Which Premiership Teams Will Be Relegated?

Despite the criticism of the Premiership so far this season, it’s refreshing to see that all of the teams in the league have double digits after Charlton’s last minute win last night against Blackburn.

Last year, if you remember, it seemed that Sunderland were stuck on single digit points for the majority of the season. The Black Cats ended up with 15 points. Bottom team Watford, right now, has 10 points.

But between now and the end of the season in May, there’s still so much to play for. Only ten points separates Watford from eleventh place Manchester City. Sadly, the number of teams that could fall into the relegation trap far outnumber those Premiership sides that have a chance of winning the title.

So who do you think will be relegated? I’m still going with my original picks (made before the season started): Charlton, Sheffield United and Fulham.

I still believe Watford has what it takes to survive in the Premiership. I see that hunger in them and their perseverance. If they can get a win or two under their belt, they should be able to regain their confidence. Right now, they’ve been rocked by injuries with goalkeeper Ben Foster and forward Marlon King just two on the physio’s table.

Fulham, meanwhile, are on a slow downward decline. Watching them play in person against Reading, Luis Boa Morte looks like he’d rather be home than on the pitch. And he’s the bloody captain! Defensively they look weak (which was exposed in Saturday’s match against Blackburn). And defensively is where they’ve been the strongest in years of late. In midfield they lack the creativity and imagination. The midfielders seem too predictable. Hence the reason why Brian McBride isn’t getting the service he needs to score.

The race to avoid the Premiership relegation battle could be one of the closest in years with the parity of mediocre teams this season. Who are your picks to go down and why? Click the ‘Comments’ link below and tell us.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
10 Comments

10 Comments

1. Ruby

June 6, 2009 at 11:58 am

Can anybody answer dis question for me….what is the only team in the premiership that has never been relegated…??

2. hellsuxx

February 3, 2007 at 1:54 am

Fulham will not get relegated. so who cares? we lost against the damn blades, but we hant lost the last matches
    us whites will prevail

3. Anonymous

December 15, 2006 at 8:07 pm

Watford and Charlton, for sure. Maybe M’boro.

4. Anonymous

December 9, 2006 at 12:42 pm

It’s naive to think Watford will stay up and a bit stange to think Fulham will go down. But stranger things have happened. Charlton was a good pre-season pick. With their squad I It’s naive to think Watford will stay up. I desperately want to bang Jessica Simpson, but it’s not gonna happen. Sticking with Fulham at this point is strange; when they get it together, they are a good side. But stranger things have happened. Charlton was a good pre-season pick. With their squad I would have thought they’d stay up. But I think they’re doomed along w. Watford. The third team anybody’s guess. It’s not going to be the Blades. They’ve only started to play well and win at home. I think they’ll end up around 15th. Boro are always good for a relegation pick. I have a hard time believing either of Blackburn or West Ham to go down, but neither of them have it together at the moment ( a good point about West Ham’s run in, Scout) If Man City’s home form collapses over Xmas, they might find it hard to survive. So, it’s anybody’s pick, but I’m going for Boro at the moment.would have thought they’d stay up. But I think they’re doomed along w. Watford. The third team anybody’s guess. It’s not going to be the Blades. They’ve only started to play well and win at home. I think they’ll end up around 15th. Boro are always good for a relegation pick, I have a hard time believing either of Blackburn or West Ham to go down, but neither of them have it together at the moment ( a good point about West Ham’s run in, Scout) If Man City’s home form collapses over Xmas, they might find it hard to survive. So, it’s anybody’s pick, but I’m going for Boro at the moment.

5. Anonymous

December 6, 2006 at 1:05 pm

Sheff Utd, Charlton & Watford

6. Anonymous

December 6, 2006 at 12:40 pm

Now looking at the table, every team after Tottenham is a relegation candidate. Watford, Sheffield United are my picks and Boro/West Ham/Charlton being strong candidates for the third spot.

7. Simon Burke

December 6, 2006 at 11:45 am

Watford and Charlton will go –
    a toss up for the rest – Boro, Newcastle, the Hammers and Sheffield United. Personally I hope its West Ham. But i fancy it will be Boro.

8. The Scout

December 6, 2006 at 11:12 am

Watford do not look to have the squad depth to compete in the Premiership. Despite their willingness to work and scrap, I think they will go down. I had hoped they would have a better run but they have not strengthened the squad sufficiently.

I hate to say it but if West Ham do not start picking up more points they could be in big trouble. Their final stretch of games includes Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Everton, Bolton and Wigan

Either Charlton or Newcastle could be one of the “established” clubs to go down. Newcastle just can’t get it together despite spending millions and millions in the transfer market and a relegation might be the time to do a major housecleaning and start fresh.

9. Anonymous

December 6, 2006 at 10:34 am

Anonymous – typical comment from a no mark!!
    Watford Charlton and Middlesborough are out – Up the Blades – a team and set of fans with loads of passion,belief and no little intelliance.
    Worksop Blade

10. Anonymous

December 6, 2006 at 9:56 am

Watford are going down. The hunger may be there, but the talent isn’t-it’s that simple. Fulham will stay up just b/c of their amazing manager- Cookie Coleman is the most underrated coach in the league and he manages to stay in the premiership w/ team made up of very mediocre players. He will do it again. I hope Sheffield United is the other team to go down. The third team? tough call-there are waaay to many candidates.