Paris (AFP) – Lazio fans have been banned from attending this week’s Europa League match at Marseille, although the French government’s order produced an angry response from the Italian club on Monday.
The decree issued Sunday forbids supporters of the Serie A side from travelling to Marseille for Thursday’s fixture at the Velodrome in the French south coast port city.
The ban mirrors one put in place by the Italian authorities preventing Marseille’s fans from attending the first leg in Rome on October 21.
The French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin justified the ban because of repeated “violent behaviour” of Lazio supporters and their frequent use of fascist chants and Nazi salutes.
The Serie A club called for an explanation from “the French authorities”.
“Lazio cannot accept a gratuitous insult against all its supporters and against the club itself which has always campaigned against violent behaviour and all forms of discrimination in and outside stadiums,” the club said in a statement.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- New CEO aims to make Bundesliga world’s ‘most digital league’
- UK government in talks with ‘international partners’ over Chelsea sale
- West Ham’s Bowen named in England squad for Nations League
- Bayern sign right-back Mazraoui from Ajax
- BBC apologises to fans after ‘Manchester United are rubbish’ gaffe
- Former Bayern boss Kovac to coach Wolfsburg
- Ancelotti ‘respects’ Mbappe decision, says Real Madrid focused on final
- UK police to take no action after Vieira ‘kick’ at Everton fan
- West Ham’s Kurt Zouma pleads guilty to kicking pet cat
- Top-tier Chongqing latest Chinese football club to fold