Paris (AFP) – Bayern Munich captain Manuel Neuer said his team paid for missing several chances in the first leg after the German side’s Champions League title defence ended with a loss on away goals to Paris Saint-Germain on Tuesday.
Despite a 1-0 quarter-final second-leg victory at the Parc des Princes, Bayern were dumped out of Europe after a 3-3 aggregate draw.
“It wasn’t tonight that saw us knocked out,” Neuer said. “The 1-0 win here was deserved but it was the result in Munich (3-2 loss) which wasn’t good. We were in a bad position at kick-off.”
Bayern dominated for long periods over the tie, especially in the first leg when they had 31 attempts at the PSG goal but could only convert two of them without injured top-scorer Robert Lewandowski and winger Serge Gnabry.
“It was annoying to have missed so many chances in the first leg,” added Neuer.
“Was Lewandowski missed? We missed all the players who weren’t there tonight. Against a classy team like PSG, it’s difficult.
“But the players who were on the pitch gave it their all.”
Hansi Flick’s Bayern will now turn their attentions to winning a ninth straight Bundesliga title, with the Bavarian giants sitting five points clear of second-placed RB Leipzig in the table.
“We have a good chance of winning the Bundesliga, at the end it will still be a positive season,” insisted Neuer.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Iran national team stands in solidarity after nation erupts in turmoil
- USWNT roster announced ahead of October friendlies
- 2023 Women’s World Cup tickets go on sale from October 6th
- MLS killed the TV star: A farewell to MLS regional broadcast crews
- 5 fundamental questions MLS must answer before Apple TV launch
- Study shows Premier League clubs hit hardest by injuries
- Todd Boehly in talks to purchase Portuguese club
- Qatar affirms COVID-19 tests requirements ahead of World Cup
- Cristiano Ronaldo should have taken outrageous Saudi offer
- FIFA 23 needs to focus on things beyond Ted Lasso