Valencia (Spain) (AFP) – La Liga’s top-of-the-table clash between Valencia and Barcelona on Sunday was overshadowed by the league’s refusal to embrace goal line technology as Barca’s Lionel Messi was denied a clear opening goal.
Valencia goalkeeper Neto let the five-time World Player of the Year’s effort slip between his legs in the 30th minute and than tried in vain to scoop the ball to safety before it crossed the line.
However, to Messi’s amazement neither the referee or his assistant signalled for the goal to stand.
Unlike in Europe’s other major leagues such as the Premier League, Bundesliga and Serie A, La Liga president Javier Tebas has refused to introduce goal line technology due to concerns over cost.
It is not the first time Barca have paid the price for Tebas’s reluctance as they were also denied a clear goal in a 1-1 draw at Real Betis last season.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Lukaku completes return to Inter on loan from Chelsea
- German club wins inaugural European refugee cup
- Where to find Orlando City SC vs. Nashville SC on US TV
- Summer transfer market shakes up power dynamic among elite
- Where to find Vélez Sársfield vs. River Plate on US TV
- Lukaku ‘very happy’ as he arrives in Milan ahead of Inter return
- Iniesta’s Vissel fire manager after less than three months
- UEFA do not lack ambition for women’s Euro, says Kessler
- Are World Cup tickets available for Qatar 2022?
- Minamino leaves Liverpool for Ligue 1 club Monaco