Los Angeles (AFP) – Los Angeles Galaxy defender Robbie Rogers, the first openly gay male athlete to play in a major North American sports league, announced his retirement on Tuesday.
Rogers, 30, confirmed his retirement in a statement released through the Galaxy, ending a professional career that spanned 11 seasons and included stints in England, the Netherlands and Major League Soccer.
Rogers has not played since suffering a season-ending ankle injury in May which left him with nerve damage requiring surgery.
“It is with mixed emotions that I announce my retirement from the game of soccer,” Rogers said.
“It is through this game that I have experienced some of my greatest achievements both professionally and personally and I am forever indebted to the numerous individuals — coaches, teammates, staff and fans — that have helped me during this journey.
“I will remain deeply connected to this sport and its surrounding community.
“I leave the game full of pride of what I have accomplished as a person and a player. I am looking forward to the next chapter of my life.”
Rogers netted 15 goals and had 24 assists in 184 career MLS games (160 starts) with the Columbus Crew (2007-11) and Galaxy (2013-17).
The fullback won two MLS Cups in 2008 and 2014 and two MLS Supporters Shield trophies in 2008 and 2009.
He also earned 18 caps with the US men’s national team.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Liverpool assess Salah, Van Dijk ahead of Southampton clash
- African players in Europe: Mane has last laugh on Mendy
- Anti-homophobia group demands PSG explain Gueye absence
- Where to find Newcastle vs. Arsenal on US TV
- Frankfurt ready to rock Rangers in Seville under Borre’s influence
- Late goal spree takes Moroccan club Berkane to CAF Cup final
- Brentford duo report racist abuse of family at Everton
- Mbappe says decision ‘almost’ made over PSG future
- Martinez brace ensures Inter take title race to final week
- Suarez bids Atletico farewell as Sevilla qualify for Champions League