Rome (AFP) – Sergej Milinkovic-Savic and Ciro Immobile gave Lazio a deserved 2-0 win over bitter city rivals Roma in the first leg of their Italian Cup semi-final at a half-full Stadio Olimpico.
The result made Lazio the favourites to reach the final where they are likely to face Juventus who beat Napoli 3-1 in their opening leg 24 hours earlier.
Serbian midfielder Milinkovic-Savic had already seen one effort saved by Brazilian keeper Alisson before he found the target on the half-hour mark.
Felipe Anderson created the goal, sprinting down the left and past hapless defender Federico Fazio before pulling the ball back for Milinkovic-Savic to score from close range.
Roma almost equalised straightaway but an Edin Dzeko header trimmed the crossbar.
Roma’s Egypt international Mohamed Salah also saw a shot hit the post in the second half before Lazio grabbed their second goal in the 78th minute.
This time Senegalese winger Keita Balde was the inspiration, sprinting away from a host of defenders to cross for the unmarked Immobile to sidefoot the ball past the out of position Alisson.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ