Connect with us

General

NBC TV Show Community Features Man Utd vs Liverpool Storyline

Not since Manchester United found its way on to an episode of Entourage in 2007 has a mainstream television sitcom in the United States had a Premier League match as it’s storyline. That is until last night when NBC’s show entitled Community, starring Chevy Chase and Joel McHale, had a sub plot focused on a match between Manchester United and Liverpool.

In the episode, actor John Oliver – who was raised in Liverpool – invites McHale to watch a Manchester United against Liverpool game together on a big-screen TV. Actor Ken Jeong joins the soccer-watching party along with a few other uninvited guests.

Thanks to reader Nicholas Muldoon for the news tip.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
10 Comments

10 Comments

1. King Eric

February 12, 2011 at 12:16 am

would have been more believable if he spoke with a scouse accent being a liverpool supporter and if it wasn’t on at night, but then again i guess only us fanatics would spot such details.

2. The Gaffer

February 11, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Before this morning, I had never heard of the show or seen an episode. It was pretty good. Not something I would tape to watch, but if I came across the show again, I’d definitely give it another shot. I like John Oliver and Chevy Chase, and the other actors are decent too.

3. Nick

February 11, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Hah, awesome this got posted, I found the kick-off time odd too but they needed it to correspond with the dance, so whatever.

I just liked that they actually picked up on a real rivalry, big match, and had the right gear. Also while it pains me, I think John Oliver, who I love, is a real Liverpool fan because he mentioned them on his podcast before and there was a bit during the World Cup they did on The Daily Show where John Oliver was wearing his Liverpool jersey.

4. Ringo

February 11, 2011 at 11:45 am

“I’ve been forcing myself to be into soccer since 2004.” Great show.

5. SirKev

February 11, 2011 at 11:39 am

No I thought the best part was that two of the more detestable characters on the show were Liverpool fans. The only thing better would have been if Pierce said he supported Liverpool. LOL

But the timing did seem off. Maybe this was the future where the Premier League added game 39 and this was in Asia or a night game in NYC.

6. Dan

February 11, 2011 at 11:02 am

Not a fan that they take this time to diss soccer on tv though, 0-0 comment.

7. Dan

February 11, 2011 at 10:53 am

It’s almost sad how well we picked up on 6:30, or grave diggers biscuits :P, being a wrong time. Realistically they should have my life, waking up at 8am exhausted and waking up my neighbors screaming at a TV.

8. Fernando

February 11, 2011 at 10:38 am

@Greg, That’s the first thing I thought when they were watching the game!! Odd kick-off time, all Sky’s fault.

Best line is when Chang gets to the door and Oliver’s character says to let him in b/c he’s wearing the right colors.

9. Rollo

February 11, 2011 at 10:16 am

I noticed the time of the game was odd, then thought of how funny it is that only major football fans would realize that the time was off. Perhaps it was the first showing of the game on TV in Colorado for a game on delay (stretching, I know)?

10. Greg

February 11, 2011 at 10:05 am

Why would the game be on at 6:30pm, especially given that the show takes place in Colorado?

/Nitpick