MON, 3PM ET
SHA0
ATH1
TUES, 2:45PM ET
PSG3
AJA1

2010-11 Premier League Table Predictions

Where do you think the 20 teams in the Premier League will end up at the end of the season? It’s a question that EPL Talk has asked for several years running when we give our predictions. And, at the same time, we always invite you to share your predictions too.

It’s always difficult to pick the top 20 especially when the August transfer window hasn’t ended. Plus, if Blackburn and Liverpool are taken over, that could significantly change the course of their seasons. And then there’s always the threat of injury and how that can ravage a team.

So, drumroll please, here are my predictions for the 2010-11 Premier League season:

1. Manchester United (C)
  13. Bolton Wanderers
  14. Wigan Athletic
  15. Fulham
  16. Wolverhampton Wanderers
  17. Blackburn Rovers
  18. Newcastle United (R)
  19. West Bromwich Albion (R)
  20. Blackpool (R)

Chelsea, I believe, will have a good run in the Champions League this season which will mean that the Premier League form will suffer. Sir Alex Ferguson’s Manchester United is motivated to win the title again this year so they can overtake Liverpool and win their 19th title. Arsenal, if they can fix their goalkeeper situation, will be reinvigorated by a stronger back four and aided by Marouane Chamakh up front.

For Liverpool, it’ll be a transition year and the groundwork will be set for an improvement in the 2011-12 season. At White Hart Lane, I believe Harry Redknapp will be able to keep the team focused and motivated on doing well all season. They finally have the confidence they need.

Manchester City, ahh Manchester City. I fear for them in the early part of the season. Reason being is that due to the unloading of players and trying to sign new ones, there has been very little opportunity for the team to bond together on the field. Yes, the club’s owners can buy some of the best players in the world, but it takes time for players to adapt and to, most importantly, play as a team. I haven’t been impressed with City in preseason and they have a tough schedule to begin the campaign. It’s going to take time for this City side to find its feet and to turn around.

As for the other clubs, I see West Ham United improving under Avram Grant, Aston Villa having a difficult transition year without Martin O’Neill and Birmingham and Stoke doing as well as they did last year. Sunderland and Bolton will start strong but falter during the end of the season. Wigan, with their new signings, will improve. Fulham punched above their weight last season and their players are not getting any younger, so I see them slipping this season. Wolves will battle hard and will deservedly avoid relegation. Blackburn, if no new owner is found, will struggle.

At the bottom of the table, I simply don’t see how Blackpool, West Brom and Newcastle will be able to crack the Premier League. All three clubs feature decent teams but they don’t have the depth they need to mount a serious challenge to other Premier League clubs. Newcastle continue to be cursed by Mike Ashley. It’s only a matter of time before he meddles in the team this season. And while Chris Hughton did tremendously well last season, the Championship wasn’t a strong league last season. Newcastle United, I feel, will start off well and get people thinking that they’ll have a good season. But it’ll all come undone at some point and the team will begin to unravel.

What do you think? Please list your predictions for the 2010-11 Premier League season in the comments section below from number one through number twenty. And at the end of the season, we’ll go ahead and identify which readers got their predictions the closest to being correct. Good luck and have fun!

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

126 Responses to 2010-11 Premier League Table Predictions

1. Martin says:

Looks about right.

How often do ALL 3 recently promoted teams get relegated the very next season though?

2. Simon Burke says:

Brave pick on City to finish 7th. They started last season quite well… I hope you’re right. I have West Ham to go down which looking at your table makes me wonder if I am crazy!

3. A says:

has it ever been more obvious that the writer of this is a United fan? City 7th, you’re having a laugh!

• Jerry says:

What is more obvious, is that you aren’t a frequent visitor to this site.

The Gaffer is a Liverpool fan.

• Gaz Hunt says:

Strange. Then why does he have Liverpool finishing outside of the top four?

I’m a Liverpool fan and try to resist bias as much as possible but still can’t keep myself from having them in the top four again.

• The Gaffer says:

Jerry, I’m a Swansea City supporter. I don’t support any Premier League clubs.

• Clampdown says:

It’s funny how many times you have to state this, Gaffer.

• The Gaffer says:

I know. I sound like a broken record sometimes! It’s amazing how sensitive supporters can be at times. Whenever I criticize a team, many readers automatically think that I support that team’s rival.

In a way, I sometimes think I’ve cursed Swansea. If they ever get back into the top flight again, it would be hard for me to be objective about them and many readers may think I’m too biased towards the Swans and against other teams. As it stands now, with Swansea comfortably in the Championship, it allows me to be unbiased.

4. Alex says:

Maybe it’s typical preseason homerism, but I have a good feeling Liverpool finish in the top 4. It will be really tight in that 3-4-5 area, though.

And while it’s hard to argue with the logic of The Gaffer, I agree with Simon. It’s hard to imagine all three newly-promoted clubs going right back down. I’d probably say Wolves get relegated instead of Newcastle.

Can’t wait for it to get started.

5. Brandon says:

Not bad picks…. I don’t see City in the top 4, they just keep changing their team too much. I think Newcastle will stay up, I see Wolves possibly going down.

6. Gaz Hunt says:

Here’s our chance to look like a genius or an idiot come the end of the season (or even January).

1. Chelsea
    13. Birmingham City
    14. Newcastle United
    15. Bolton Wanderers
    16. Blackburn Rovers
    17. Wolverhampton Wanderers
    West Ham United (Down)
    West Bromwich Albion (Down)
    Blackpool (Down)

Bonus:
    FA Cup – Liverpool
    Carling Cup – Manchester United
    Europa League – Bayer Leverkusen
    Chamption’s League – Chelsea

• patrick says:

West Ham going down…. hmmm.

I don’t think so. They have added some quality this summer and held their best players. The rest I don’t really care about.

• Gaz Hunt says:

Held the players that got them a 17th place finish last year? Added Ben Haim (on loan) and Frederic Piquionne?

We’ll see – I would like to see the club stay up but just can’t see it.

• patrick says:

Thomas Hitzlsperger Captian’d Germany Wednesday
          Pablo Barrera Winder, played on the Mexican team at the WC
          Miralem Sulejmani on a year loan Serbian international
          Winston Reid Kiwi hero from the world cup

and a new manager

• Gaz Hunt says:

I respect the faith in your club but are you really thinking those players will have West Ham doing that much better than last season? Hitzlsperger would be my stand-out and he already failed in the PL with Villa in the past.

Just my opinion, though. And I’m often wrong. :)

• CTBlues says:

Gaz,
      I would love to see the Chels win another double and a harder double at that.

7. Robert says:

That is the worst prediction I have seen. Man and I really respect your opinion. Lets just hope your very wrong.

I personally see Man City closer to first than seven. I figure them for 3rd. They have the second best squad in the league. Yes I know they need time to gel, but it wont take 10 games. They have Europa, and Carling cup games to also help their transition. I am sure your taking at look at the preseason here in the states to base you opinion since you said they were the worse team you had seen. Remember because of world cup and new transfers, they have six players (could be 9) first teamers that never played in the States.

8. Scott says:

I don’t see Birmingham City repeating last year’s form and Wigan are definitely not the 14th best team in the league.

• Gaz Hunt says:

Agree with the comment about Birmingham City. However, I have Wigan 12th and I could be wrong but look at the teams I put below them.

You can’t see them getting more points than the following teams?

Birmingham City
      Newcastle United
      Bolton Wanderers
      Blackburn Rovers
      Wolverhampton Wanderers
      West Ham United
      West Bromwich Albion
      Blackpool

• Scott says:

My issue w/ Wigan is # of new players and Martinez’ style of football. And in order to get anywhere close to 12th, that -42 goal difference is going to have be cut down significantly.

• Jeremy says:

If Wigan could just avoid playing in London, they’d be alright. Last year they had a -19 goal differential in their 5 matches in London and -23 for their other 33 matches. Those actual numbers may not be exact but their pretty close- they had the embarassments at Spurs and Chelsea and got beat pretty good at Arsenal.

9. Angus says:

Really don’t buy this whole “league form suffers for Europe” thing. Seems pretty much every year champions league winners are also winners of their respective leagues. Can’t really see top 7 changing much from last season. Possibly Liverpool move up villa down but not much else

10. Patrick says:

If West Ham end up 8th… I’ll be very happy. Thinking more like 49 pts 10 place.

And I think you have Man City and Spuds mixed up…

11. OleGunnar20 says:

Newcastle isn’t going to get relegated. Their talent level is way to high to see the drop and far above plenty of other teams likely to fight to go down. And this is from a United fan who would love to see them suffer more indignity.

And United (as of today with no Ozil or Lassana Diarra) do not have the midfield quality or depth to win the league. I am tipping, as much as I hate to, United for a drop outside of the top 4.

The title will come down to Arsenal and Chelsea. City will get third safely and 4th will come down to Tottenham/Everton/United/Liverpool with Everton my surprise pick to pip in at 4th. The remaining three will get the Europa spots.

Blackpool is going to make Derby County of 2003/2004 look like Real Madrid. I am tipping them for single digit points and maybe zero wins this season.

As for the other two to go down it is a crap shoot, and frankly a crap shoot that most neutrals couldn’t care less about, so I will throw out there WBA and Wolves which are just as likely as any of the EPL bottom feeders.

12. Cricketlover says:

Here’s how it’s going to end up. The Octopus told me :) .

1. Arsenal
    2. Liverpool
    3. Manchester City
    4. Chelsea (Champions League winners)
    5. Manchester United (FA Cup and Carling Cup winners)
    6. Everton
    16. Blackburn Rovers
    17. Newcastle
    18. Wolves
    19. West Brom
    20. Blackpool

• Leonard Anyanwu says:

1. Chelsea (champions league and carling cup winner)
      2. Arsenal
      3. United
      4. Manchester city (FA winner)
      5. Liverpool
      6. spurs
      7.astonvilla 8.birmingham 9.everton 10.fulham 11.wigan 12.sunderland 13.bolton 14.newcastle 15.stoke 16.westham 17.blackpool 18.blackburn 19.westbrom 20.wolves HERE’S HOW IT’S GOING BE. GOOD DREAMER

13. john says:

I’m an Arsenal fan but I’m kinda shocked anyone would pick them 3rd………horrible defense that might have gotten worse this year (not better) plus crappy GK. Unless changes are made….I see another 3rd place finish.

14. somervillain says:

City seventh? You’re having a laugh, mate.

If you want to make a point, why stop there? Go on and be a man about it. Predict City to finish bottom.

• The Gaffer says:

Somer, I have nothing against City. In fact, I recently wrote how I would pick them as my team if I was “reborn.” See http://epltalk.com/which-premier-league-club-would-you-support-if-you-were-reborn/22224

Predictions are predictions. There are always going to be surprises every season. My analysis is that City will do worse this year than last.

Please share your predictions and we’ll see who ends up being right at the end of the season.

• somervillain says:

Now there’s always the chance I have conflated your writing with some of the writing by others that you publish here, but it’s been my experience in reading this blog regularly that the overall general attitude toward City on here seems one of sneering contempt.

In any case, my predictions for this season:
        1. Arsenal
        16. Wigan
        17. Wolves
        18. West Brom
        19. Newcastle
        20. Blackpool

• The Gaffer says:

Somer, thanks for posting your predictions. I have nothing against City, but I was very disappointed by how lacklustre they looked during their preseason games. Most of their players look as if they don’t care about wearing the City shirt. Mancini has a lot of work to do beginning this Saturday.

• somervillain says:

While City certainly have looked less than impressive this preseason, it must be pointed out that the starting front line played together for the first time this past weekend against Valencia, where City looked very good. Look at who Mancini played in the matches on the American tour. Many of those players won’t be registered for the Premier League this season, let alone start a league match.

Also, I would point out last summer’s City preseason was even more unimpressive, with some really poor losses to South African sides. And yet when the season kicked off, City hit the ground running, taking a 100-per cent record into Old Trafford in the fifth match day.

• Gaz Hunt says:

“Letting personal feelings and agendas get in the way of predictions is a great way to end up with egg on your face come May.”

City supporter, I take it. I have them 5th but I’d suggest you take that advice yourself before you start talking in absolutes, mate. The difference between 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th is a few draws.

• somervillain says:

Maybe if your experience with Premier League football is limited to last season.

Over the history of the Premier League, the point difference between fourth and seventh places is 10.4. Hardly “a few draws.”

• Gaz Hunt says:

Not my first season but I appreciate the need to dig at the knowledge-base of someone that happens to disagree with you. :)

Don’t you think this season will look more like last season than any other season in history? I’m guessing 2010-2011 will look more like 2009-2010 than 2010-2011 will look like 1978-1979, 1950-1951, etc. Is that just me?

In addition, 10 points is a few draws instead of wins. One team draws five games and gets 5 points while the other wins five games and gets 15 points. And that’s the difference between 7th and 4th – the difference slims when the table gets closer.

Not taking anything away form teams that get that much desired 4th spot, but I just think those spots (4th to 7th) could basically be any of 6 teams in any order imaginable based on luck, fixture schedule, and determination of the players to turn a draw into a win.

• pungentjoe says:

16.newcastle
    17.westbrom
    18.west ham
    19.wolves
    20.blackpool

16. Alex Sorokin says:

I really hope Liverpool find themselves back in the big four.

17. Raatzie says:

Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Manchester United
    Liverpool (completely wishful thinking)
    ____________________________________________________________________Spurs
    Everton
    ____________________________________________________________________Man City
    Sunderland
    Fulham
    Aston Villa
    Stoke City
    Birmingham City
    ————————————————————————————————
    Blackburn Rovers (FA Cup runners-up)
    ————————————————————————————————
    Newcastle United
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    West Bromwich Albion
    Blackpool (also completely wishful thinking – like rooting for the little guy)
    ____________________________________________________________________
    West Ham United
    Wigan
    Bolton

Promoted:

Sheffield United (1)
    Nottingham Forest (2)
    Swansea City (5; playoff winner (Middlesbrough, Reading and Preston North End also reach playoffs))

18. Raatzie says:

Because the lines translated poorly:

Spurs 5 (Europa)
    Man City 7 (no Europa; spot taken by Blackburn as FA Cup runners-up)

Also forgot to pick Arsenal to win the FA Cup.

Could care less who wins the Carling Cup. It should be abolished. But that’s for another thread.

19. [OPTI]Madschester United says:

Wigan Athletic
    Stoke City
    Wolverhampton Wanderers (R)
    Blackpool (R)
    West Bromwich Albion (R)

20. Sir Guy says:

I know, I know, this is a “Fan” comment, but I look for Fulham to actually improve on last year without the Europa matches getting in the way. They will continue to have trouble scoring goals, but I certainly don’t see them in the “hunt” for relegation that a 15th place finish would seem to indicate.

I’ll leave the rest of it to those who actually seem to know what they’re talking about. I’m shaky even predicting the sun will come up tomorrow.

21. Sammzii says:

How can you place arsenal third there defence is a shambles. City 4th

22. DK says:

My top 5

1. United
    2. Chelsea
    3. Tottenham
    4. Arsenal
    5. Man City

Also, Drogba looking good in the pick bra in the photo.

23. jonathan says:

13. Bolton Wanderers
    14. Wigan Athletic
    15. Stoke
    16. Blackburn Rovers
    17. Newcastle United
    18. Wolverhampton Wanderers(R)
    19. West Bromwich Albion (R)
    20. Blackpool (R)

24. Steve says:

with all due respect Gaffer, I know you know your stuff, but I’m leaning towards thinking you threw this picks out there just to stir up some talk.

Man City 7th? Wow. Preseason results mean nothing….MLB, NFL, NBA champions routinely stink up the joint in “exhibition” season. Top players really don’t care about W-L’s. They have no incentive to win, just to stay healthy and get loose and ready for the season. It’s hard to fathom with City’s quality that they will go backwards this year.

My attempt at a table, done in groups with each club in a particular group easily moving up or down within that group depending on injuries, January additions and just plain luck

1. Chelsea

16. Wolves
    17. Newcastle
    18. Wigan
    19. West Brom
    20. Blackpool

• The Gaffer says:

Hi Steve, I definitely believe in my predictions and didn’t purposefully put teams in certain positions to stir up some talk. I think Manchester City has potential. But right now they’re a bunch of prima donnas who Mancini will have a hard time pleasing (look at Real Madrid). There are a ton of question marks surrounding City and I don’t see the chemistry in that team right now.

They may buy some classy players but things don’t happen overnight.

• steve says:

well I do agree that they will have some rough patches early getting the chemistry done, but this is really an underwhelming year at the top. a top club can afford to start slow (ie – work on the kinks) and catch up. Man City’s quality will shine through over the long haul.

ManU and Chelsea haven’t added much and have some guys who are aging. L’Pool is too reliant on Torres staying healthy…and iffy proposition. And Arsenal, well, who knows what to think of the Gunners. If healthy all year and if they can find a reliable keeper, I can easily see them winning the title. But that’s been said the past couple years as well and something always seems to derail the train.

I love T’Ham’s squad, but having to deal with the PL, 2 Cups (which are more important to them than others at the top) plus now the CL….that’s just going to be too much for them. They’ll drop the odd game here and there just from the sheer volume of matches.

Everton and Villa just aren’t deep and strong enough to challenge and no one else can even be in the discussion.

So, IMO, over 9 months, even with initial chemistry issues, it’s just hard to see 6 clubs outperforming City.

• somervillain says:

“(look at Real Madrid).”

I’m not sure how holding up Real Madrid getting pipped to the La Liga title by The Team of the Decade despite RM’s highest league point total in their long and storied history is supposed to be support for an argument that City will fail miserably this season to the tune of seventh freaking place.

It’s funny how Real Madrid’s Galactico projects often are cited as examples for how money can’t buy you success. I know a few Arsenal supporters would would love that kind of success right about now.

25. mouchezdm says:

SAF knows what Man Utd need… Strong striking force and that is what he has focused on this summer… The defense is solid. The team morale is high. they want to win the trophy back.

Chelsea currently are out of form and by the time they gain form Man Utd will have gone far.

Arsenal has goal getters but there are a lot of questions in their backline.

Man city have sent big they will break into the top 4 so lets see how this will work out

1. Manchester United
    13. Bolton Wanderers
    14. Wigan Athletic
    15. Fulham
    16. Wolverhampton Wanderers
    17. Blackburn Rovers
    18. Newcastle United (R)
    19. West Bromwich Albion (R)
    20. Blackpool (R)

come across the post on http://soccer.mynucleus.org

26. Hammerin' Man says:

West Ham ain’t going down. We have added good depth across the pitch and as soon as we nail down a solid RB, should be top half to mid table. In Avram we trust, the crusty bastard. IRONS!!!

27. Redmenace says:

16-Newcastle
    17-Stoke
    18-Wolverhampton
    19-Blackpool
    20-West Bromwich Albion

28. Double D says:

Fulham 15th??? A confident Zamora and no Europa.
    At best 8th, at worst 12th. Gaffer why such a huge drop
    in your eyes? Without Europa last year Fulham finishes Top
    10.

• Matt says:

Honestly, Fulham were a club who were always involved in the relegation scrap before Hodgson (or essentially relegated at halftime on that fateful day at Eastlands in 08). I think Hughes will do a good job at Fulham, but 15th is a pretty fair approximation of where I see them ending up (personally, i would say 12th too).

• Double D says:

Well said Matt. Don’t forget without the Europa last year we probably add at least 2 wins which would have taken us to 9th. Definitely a team in flux, but this isnt a team of the past. Odds wise I would say we probably have just as good chance as finishing 8th then we do 15th.

29. Graeme Stevenson says:

16. Blackpool
    17. Wolverhampton Wanderers
    18. Bolton Wanderers
    19. Birmingham City
    20. Wigan Athletic

Remember that table!!

I think the gap between Premier League and Championship is closer than ever and therefore all 3 promoted teams will survive. You also have to remember Newcastle are a lot more humble now than they were last time around, and I would argue a season below has benefited their team spirit greatly. Obviously, it suits Blackpool that they are already relegated in everyone’s eyes, including the teams that will be playing them. Birmingham overachieved last season, a lot of games they won by just 1-0, and I think second season syndrome will affect them greatly. Wolves to pull off a dramatic final day escape, and boy I can’t wait to see the look on Phil Gartside’s face when Bolton are dragged into it in the last few games before finally going on the last day.

In terms of the title, Arsenal’s youngsters will finally mature and wrench the prize from Man Utd’s transitional side but it will still be a close run thing. As for Liverpool, you have to remember that the side isn’t that different from the one that finished 2nd two seasons ago, I think last season for them was a freaky bad season in the same way that it was a decievingly good one for Birmingham. Chelsea are an aging side and I think the end of last season came at just the right time for them.

Everton are a dark horse for the top 4.

30. WTF says:

6.Spurs

18.Sunderland
      19.West Brom
      20.Blackpool

Extra:
      FA.Cup- Man.UTD
      Carling.Cup- Everton (cuz no good club would bother)
      Champions League- Barcelona

12-West Ham
    13-Blackburn
    14-Newcastle
    15-Bolton
    16-Wigan
    17-Stoke
    18-Wolves (signing Hunt was a sure sign they’re going down)
    19-West Brom
    20-Blackpool

32. Brian Perceful says:

I’m are hardcore Arsenal supporter but I just don’t see how we finish any better than last season. This is the most pessimistic I’ve been in a while. Our keeper situation is perilous and we didn’t really upgrade our back 4. We’ll score a lot of goals though.

33. Soot says:

What do I get for being most correct? A free subscription? Too much love for Man City and hating on Spurs.

1. Manchester United
    2. Chelsea
    3. Tottenham Hotspur
    4. Arsenal

5. Liverpool
    6. Manchester City (FA Cup)

8. Bolton Wanderers

16. Stoke
    17. Sunderland
    18. West Brom
    19. Wigan
    20. Blackpool

35. THE FOOTY PLAYER says:

This is my table you cant realy argue but if you can please reply.
    1. Man U (C)

F.A Cup Chelsea
      Carling Cup Man-U
      Champions League Real Madrid
      Europa League Ajax

36. Tom Hingley says:

Jamie Redknapp’s predictions:

Interesting that he says he would be “amazed” if Wolves get involved in a relegation battle. ;)

For me:

1) Man Utd
    2) Man City
    3) Chelsea
    4) Arsenal

18) Newcastle
    19) West Brom
    20) Blackpool

37. Jason Gatties says:

Last season, I picked Fulham to finish 12th. First time ever I got that right. The rest of my table was screwed up though.

Let’s go

12.Sunderland
    13.Blackburn
    14.Newcastle
    15.Bolton
    16.West Brom
    17.Wolves
    18.Wigan (I should point out, I pick Wigan to go down every year)
    19.West Ham
    20.Blackpool

38. SantaClaus says:

This is going to be a year of surprises. Since we’re making predictions before the transfer window closes and teams are still not sorted out fully, the following is based on each team’s squad as of today.

1. Liverpool
    16. Blackburn Rovers
    17. Newcastle
    18. Wolves
    19. West Brom
    20. Blackpool

39. Jeremy says:

As an Arsenal supporter I’d love to believe this, but without some surprising moves in the next few days I can’t see second place as a realistic possibility. If Mancini decides to strengthen his rivals and sells/loans us Given, then maybe. Schwarzer too would be a step up from Fab and the clown, but not a big one. The fact is, based on pre-season selection at least, we’re getting dangerously close to Fabianski being our #1.
    Secondly, I don’t know where you get the idea that the Arsenal back four is stronger this year. Gallas and Campbell out, Koscielny and Djourou (by Wenger logic) in? Koscielny is an unknown quantity for me but I can’t see him being anything but a step down from Gallas, and our defense was already shaky as hell last year. Again, my faith in a title challenge dwindles as the end of the transfer window draws nearer.

40. Jeremy says:

1- Arsenal (with lots of 4-3 wins along the way)
    2- Man U

12. Blackburn Rovers
    13. Fulham
    14. Birmingham City
    15. West Ham United
    16. Newcastle United
    17. Wigan Athletic
    18. Wolverhampton Wanderers (R)
    19. West Bromwich Albion (R)
    20. Blackpool (R)

FA Cup: Chelsea
    Carling Cup: Man City
    Champions League: Barcelona
    Europa League: Man City

42. Scott Alexander says:

we don’t even know who will be playing for who… let’s wait until the window closes

• Scott Alexander says:

15 Wigan
      16 Birmingham
      17 Blackpool
      18 Wolves
      19 WBA
      20 West Ham

Chelsea & Man U could easily flip 1 and 2, if Chelsea get to a heart-breaking CL semifinal or better, Man U probably wins and Chelsea could even drop to 3rd. Man City and Tottenham could flip as well. As bad as Liverpool are, they’re too good not to get into Europe. Pains me to put Everton in 7th considering how bad they look and their anemic window but Moyes does it every year. Bolton and Sunderland look to challenge for Europe. More proof that Coyle is one of the top young manager talents available. Fulham stays pretty much where they were without the European adventure. Stoke improved to get back to where they were. Villa feels the loss of O’Neill and early clues are that they want someone with premiership experience who presumably is without a high profile job right now. That probably means that they are going to hire someone incompetent to average. Newcastle looks to have benefited immensely from having gotten their affairs in order via one year down. Wigan sets a new record for goal difference without being relegated? Birmingham slips a bit without Hart but still stays up? Blackpool and Wolves battle for 17th? WBA needs a bit more for Roberto Di Matteo to work with. West Ham makes top 5 worst teams in premiership history?

43. Matt says:

15) Blackburn
    16) West Ham
    17) Wigan
    18) Wolves
    19) Blackpool
    20) WBA

Honestly, if Arsenal got themselves a solid centerback to pair with Vermaelan and at least a respectable goalkeeper, they would be my title winners, sad as it is.
    Everton was the team to beat once most of their lineup was healthy. Then Arteta came back, and they were even better. If they had signed Donovan, i would feel like this CL pick would be much less of a gamble, but what the heck.
    Until City get a cohesive back four, they will keep drawing and losing to the lower level sides. And those types of results will keep them out of the CL, and not losing 2-1 to Spurs or 4-3 to United.

44. BONG YI HAO says:

13. Birmingham City
    14. West Ham United
    15. Wolverhampton Wanderers
    16. Blackburn Rovers
    17. Bolton Wanderers
    18. Wigan Athletic (R)
    19. West Bromwich Albion (R)
    20. Blackpool (R)

13. Newcastle United
    14. Wolverhampton Wanderers
    15. Sunderland
    16. Blackburn Rovers
    17. Bolton Wanderers
    18. Wigan Athletic (R)
    19. West Bromwich Albion (R)
    20. Blackpool (R)

Predictions guaranteed 100% wrong.

46. UpTheBlues says:

20. Blackpool (r)

FA Cup: Chelsea
    Carling Cup: ManUre

47. dlink09 says:

my prediction:
    1) Arsenal
    i don’t care about the rest.. mainly spurs :)

48. Huh says:

14. Newcastle United
    15. Wolverhampton Wanderers

16. West Ham United
    17. Wigan Athletic
    18. West Bromwich Albion
    20. Blackpool

Like Steve I have also used groups as it’s a good idea! Explanation of some of my picks below:

Chelsea/ Utd top because its easy to pick these two and likely to be true.

Man City 4th Because I’m a City Fan and have seen years of under achievement so I just can‘t bring myself to say more than this, although if they hadn’t filled me with pessimism year after year I’d say they could do much better especially as the defence was improved by just the arrival of Bobby Manc and his stopping them raining forward all the time (18 goals conceded in 21 games compared to 33 goals conceded in 17 games by Hughes).

By the way Gaffer in my opinion pre-season has nothing at all to do with the real games (hence me putting Chelsea in No1 spot) or I’m sure City would have lined up 6 or 7 Airtricity xi’s to play or at least played anything like the B team against the American opposition instead of blooding the youth players and giving some fringe players a chance to put themselves in the shop window.

Arsenal poor defence for the top end of the table and I don’t see even a new keeper making a huge difference.

Everton will I feel have a better year than last which started badly for them so a good start for them is needed.

Liverpool, I don’t think that Hodgson will handle the big names well and that Torres will not stay fit, so not to much difference from last year.

Spurs are very good side but they will want to make a impression in the Champs League this may lead to them struggling in the League a bit as the CL will become a priority for them. So maybe the quicker they are out the better for their League position.

Villa, it could be a lot worse than this with the O’Neil walk out and more players possibly moving on.

Bolton will be much improved on last year with new man Coyle in charge on top of Petrov and Klasnic being there
    Fulham will improve going forward but because Hughes likes to push people forward a lot will not be as effective in defence.

Wigan managed to stay up last year but have sold a lot of top players in the last few years, down or very close again.

Newcastle, a huge and loud home crowd will make their home wins enough to save them and a touch more.

49. Mark says:

As Andy Brassell would say “I prefer to make my predictions after the season.” Or that a Tim Vickery line?

1. Pensioners
    19. Baggies (R)
    20. Tangerines (R)

50. Trant says:

Premier League 2010

1. Manchester United
    2. Chelsea
    3. Manchester City (R.I.P Careers of Barry, Milner and Taylor)

4. Liverpool
    5. Tottenham Hotspur
    6. Arsenal

8. Aston Villa
    9. Fulham

10. Wolverhampton Wanderers (suprise package of season)
    11. Stoke City
    12. West Ham United
    13. Fulham
    14. Newcastle United
    15. Blackburn Rovers
    16. Wigan Athletic

17. Bolton
    18. West Bromwich Albion
    20. Blackpool

A very close title race between United and Chelsea, City to threaten early on but as soon as the form dips they will probably sack Maldini and spend another £300 million in January – half of which will be flops.

Liverpool to have a solid, promising season blooding plenty of youngsters.

Arsene Wenger to have his last season in charge of Arsenal – the club are going backwards in terms of the squad strength – will not benefit from 25-man rule.

Wolverhampton Wanderers are my surprise package of the season.
    A lot of very good signings in the right areas, I also liked the look of Doyle who seems to be crying out for another high-quality striker – duely delivered by them signing Fletcher.

• Huh says:

Not Bad Trant but Bolton to go down? They will have the Coyle effect continuing from last year and have secured some decent players, sorry can’t agree on that!

Barry is 30 in feb 2011 so most of his career is gone already. he has played many times for England and is one of the first names on the team sheet he will play in many games this year for City, not a bad career as it stands eh?
      Taylor never had a career anyway he has spent most his football life as a loanee or someone’s third choice keeper!
      As for Milner he doesn’t even play for City yet! But if he doe’s he has every chance of a great career depending on how he plays because there will be no free career rides at City, if he’s in he will have to be good. I take it from these statements you are a Villa fan.

I think Wolves will be ok too, maybe not as high as 10th though. Someone on here has said that the signing of Steven Hunt is not a good one, I beg to differ he is a great signing (I wouldn’t even mind him at City) aggressive, direct and always 100% he never stops.

• Trant says:

I put Bolton in the mix to be relegated because they have been there-or-there-abouts for the last four seasons.. teams around them have made big improvments to the squad this summer (i.e. the likes of Stoke, Fulham, Wolves, West Ham etc)

also, dont forget when you swap Hull and Burnley for Newcastle Untited and West Brom, I think that the lack of (any?) signings this summer will see them strugle.

And also their Chairman is one of the FA big-wig clowns so i would love to see them go down on a personal note! :P

• Wiggy says:

Mancini will be OK then if they sack Maldini!
      You forgot Birmingham in your league table I would suggest you make them 8th and move your 8th placed team to the number you have missed out 19th, that would them save Bolton from the drop …..more realistic too since M O’N departure.

51. Michael says:

A very close race for the title between the top 2, Tottenham qualifies for CL again, MC just misses out on CL(again) and 2 of the promoted clubs go down along with the Wolves.
    1. Manchester United (C)
    16. Newcastle United
    17. West Ham United
    18. West Bromwich (Down)
    19. Wolverhampton (Down)
    20. Blackpool (Down)

52. John Gregory says:

West Ham is going to be out of the relegation battle this year. 8th would be a big leap, but I definitely see Grant taking the helm and their quiet-but-important improvements in personnel (as well as more stability on the bench and in the front office) equaling somewhere in the 9th to 12th place range. Hopefully the possibility of gaining a new stadium could motivate the team. I see them back in Europa contention inside of two seasons.

Perhaps the dominance of the Big Four will finally be broken. Chelsea could be in for a big letdown in the league (as could Man U), with City needing to prove their expenditures were worth it, and Tottenham must prove last year was no fluke.

53. Michael says:

3. Man City
    4. Arsenal

18. Wolves
    19. West Brom
    20. Blackpool

55. TheKop says:

Personally I do think that top two will be either Man U and Chelsea again. Leaving the other two Champion League spots to grab between Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and City.

56. Sarhan says:

14.Blackburn
    15.Wolves
    16.Bolton
    17.West Ham United
    18.Wigan athletic
    19.WBA
    20.Blackpool (and they will concede the most goals)

FA Cup – Tottenham
    Carling Cup – Chelsea
    Champions League – Manchester United
    Europa League – Liverpool

58. Brickthrower says:

I’m gonna say Arsenal, Man U, and Chelsea fight it out til the last match day for first. Man City will stun Chelsea, Bolton will draw Man U, and Arsenal will beat West Brom to take it. West Ham, Villa, Blackburn, Newcastle, and West Brom will all be near the potty. Tottenham will disappoint, Everton will reemerge.

Oh and Blackpool will sit about 10 points in last.

59. Frank says:

Love how the idiots put Newcastle in their bottom 3.

60. Ryan Jones says:

17. Blackpool
    18. Wolves
    19. Wigan
    20. WBA

FA Cup – Blyth Spartans

62. Danny.W says:

Machester United will win, last year was just a flook
    Chealsea – 86 This year Man.UTD on top and chealsea way under
    Man. UTD – 85

63. Trant says:

Revised table after day one of the season.

1. Manchester United
    2. Blackpool
    3. Chelsea
    4. Manchester City

5. Liverpool
    6. Tottenham Hotspur
    7. Arsenal

8. Everton
    9. Aston Villa
    10. Fulham

11. Wolverhampton Wanderers (suprise package of season)
    12. Birmingham City
    13. Stoke City
    14. West Ham United
    15. Fulham
    16. Newcastle United
    17. Blackburn Rovers
    18. Bolton

19. Sandwell Town

20. Wigan Athletic

64. james dinnis says:

i think liverpool,chelsea and man.u and maybe arsenal have all got a chance of winning cups this season.so heres my prem table 4 10-11 season-
    1.chelsea(champions league winners)
    2.arsenal(carling cup runners up)
    3.liverpool (carling cup winners,fa cup runners up)
    4.man.u
    16.blackburn
    17.newcastle
    18.wolves
    19.blackpool
    20.west brom

65. wiggy says:

Where does that Villa idiot Trant think Blues will finish?, has he missed them as he thinks they will over take his team with a Europa League challenge this term!
    I note he has remembered to include Birmingham in his revised table after the credible 2-2 at Sunderland, who he has now forgotten to include with Fulham finishing 10th & 15th?

A more realistic prediction:

16.Wigan
    17.Newcastle
    18.West Ham
    19.West Brom
    20.Blackpool

68. THE FOOTY PLAYER says:

mark what on earth is that table of nick names

69. Brad says:

1) Chelsea
    2) Manchester United
    3) Liverpool
    4) Manchester City
    ———————————————–
    5) Arsenal (Miss out on 4th on goal differance)
    6) Spurs

22) Preston (R)
    23) Portsmouth (R)
    24) Barnsley (R)

LEAGUE 1
    Southampton
    Huddesfield
    Charlton (Via Playoffs vs Sheff Wed)

Hartlepool
    Notts County
    Dag & Red
    Rochdale

LEAGUE 2
    Torquey
    Wycombe
    Chesterfield
    Aldershot (Via Play-offs against Port Vale)

Stevenage
    Barnet (Just survived last year by the skin of their teeth)

Blue Square

Grimsby!!!
    Luton (Via Play-offs who beat Crawley and York in final)

Histon
    Hayes & Yeading
    Barrow
    Newport

Blue Square North
    Boston & Gainsborough

Blue Square South
    Baisinstoke & Dover

F.A Cup = Arsenal
    Carling Cup = Man City
    F.A Trouphy = Luton Town
    Europa League = Laverkusen
    Champions League = Inter Milan

Cheers Guys drop a comment if you agree/disagree on my prediction!
    Up The Mariners, Neil Woods Black & White Army

18. Blackpool
    19. West Brom
    20. Wigan

Championship..
    Champions – QPR
    Runners Up – Cardiff
    Playoff Winners – Middlesborough ( Beat milwall in Semi final And Leeds In Final)

71. thomas says:

17.wigan
    18.blackpool(rel)
    19.west brom(rel)
    20.wolver(rel)

please comment if u disagree or agree p.s im 12

72. Brendan says:

Arsenals defence is very stong this year and combined with fabregas, theo walcott[ who has matured greatly over the past year] and arshavin, not to mention many other good players they will be pushing for 2nd in the table. The only team to overcome arsenal will be chelsea and they have shown they will be a formidable foe to play against with 2 6-0 wins in the first 2 games. Man city and man united are both well rounded team with their share of great players. Man united have rooney,ferdinand,scholes[who is still an amazing talent] and berbatov. Not to mention new player hernandez. Mancity however have tevez, milner and probably the most suprising player to shine is backup keeper joe hart who will be Englands new keeper in the near future. The fight for 3rd and 4th will be between man city and man united. Liverpool will be lucky to get 5th place with thier players not being able to gel porperly. Even with star players such as gerrard, torres and reina they have been playing horribly and recently got shown up by man city 3-0 revealing to everyone that if you know liverpools weaknesses they fold easily. Blackpool is a guaranteed team to be relegated, even with 1 win under their belt they got killed by arsenal 6-0 showing that there is no chance that they can compete with high level teams and will just end up being embarrassed by the end of the season with 3-4 wins if they are lucky. Totenham will be contending with liverpool for 5th place and by the recent results they have shown in the premier league including a draw against man city with which they should have won and a win against stoke, they will be tough for liverpool to deal with on the table.
    PREDICTIONS:

Newcastle
    Blackpool
    Wigan
    West Brom
    West Ham

76. sam says:

Arsenal ( CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, League CUP)
    Chelsea

1. QPR
    2. Forest
    Play-offs – Cardiff

Champion’s League – Barca
    Europa League – Liverpool
    FA Cup – Tottenham
    Carling Cup – Manchester City or Tottenham (Can’t decide)

78. Jay Harris says:

By the way I’m a Spurs fan: (Top 10)

Chelsea
    Man UTD
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Aston Villa (Nothing without O’Neil)
    Everton
    Birmingham
    Fulham

Champions League: Barcelona
    Runner Up: Real Madrid / Chelsea

Europa League: Sevilla
    Runner Up: Liverpool

FA Cup: Man UTD
    Runner UP: Aston Villa

Carling Cup: Man UTD
    Runner Up: Arsenal

79. All my predictions might make some people fill it real. Here r my predictions-
    1. Man utd
    19 wolves
    20. West ham

Champions league- man utd
    Fa cup- chelsea
    Carling cup- man utd
    Uropa league- juventus

Pls if u agree with my predictions than pls try to make me a new octopus

80. Elliot says:

20) West Ham

Champions League – Inter
    FA Cup – Chelsea
    Carling Cup – Manchester United
    Europa League – Manchester City

81. RonPeace says:

Arsenal have always disappointed their fans, the same might happen this season-Trophy less.
    For United i think this is one of their best starts of the term, 2nd half of the term may favor them, hence the favorite.
    Chelsea never consistent, therefore may only do well in Champions League
    Liverpool will get back to the top four, city and spurs not promising at all. they will play Europa

82. K.O says:

1 ARSENAL 2 MAN U 3 CHELSEA 4 MAN CITY 5 NEWCASTLE 6 TOTTENHAM 7 BOLTON 8 LIVERPOOL 9 SUNDERLAND 10 WBA 11 BLACKBURN 12 EVERTON 13 STOKE CITY 14BLACKPOOL 15 ASTON VILLA 16 BIRMINGHAM 17 FULHAM 18 WOLVES 19 WIGAN 20 WESTHAM

83. ben says: