It’s now possible for football supporters to watch most of the major foreign and domestic leagues either on television or on the Internet. As a result, the number of clubs that a supporter follows has presumably grown from one to many.
So, what clubs do you support from the different leagues around the world, why, and how did you become a supporter of that club?
Click the comments link below to share your favourites. I’ve listed mine here:
- Premier League: None
- Football League: Swansea City (my local club I’ve supported religiously through the good and the bad since 1979)
- Welsh Premier League: Newtown AFC (the town where I spent many summers with my grandparents, when they were alive, and where I fell in love with the club from Latham Park)
- Major League Soccer: None (formerly Miami Fusion)
- USL: Miami FC (my local team who are floundering with tiny attendances, but who I remain faithful to)
- National teams: Wales (my birthplace and where I grew up), England (my father is English and most of my relatives are English), and the United States (my new homeland; I’ve followed and supported the national team since the mid-1980s).
In addition to the above leagues, I also follow La Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A — but I watch the games to enjoy the football and don’t support any specific clubs.
It is interesting how football fans have become more cosmopolitan over the last decade with the prevalence of foreign football on our television sets and via the Internet. I’m curious to hear from you, the readers, to see what clubs you support — and whether any of the European visitors have MLS teams you follow.