SAT, 7AM ET
SAT, 10AM ET
NEW
CRY
SAT, 10AM ET
QPR
SUN

gus johnson returns Gus Johnson to Make His Return To Commentating On Soccer With Barca Bayern Match

UPDATED: Gus Johnson has returned from the wilderness.

Controversial soccer announcer Gus Johnson will make his return to soccer commentating on Wednesday, May 1 for the return leg between Barcelona and Bayern Munich. The game will be shown live on FX beginning at 2:45pm ET.

FOX Soccer 2Go will be offering two streams of the commentary — one with Gus Johnson and one without (using the Sky Sports feed instead).

According to FOX Soccer’s press release, “Coverage is highlighted by the return to Europe of FOX Sports renowned play-by-play announcer Gus Johnson as he calls Wednesday’s match live from Camp Nou alongside former England international standout Ian Wright. Johnson’s broadcast schedule is punctuated by a series of highly anticipated fixtures including the Barclays Premier League encounter between newly crowned champions Manchester United against Chelsea on Sunday, May 5, the FA Cup Final and the UEFA Champions League Final on Saturday, May 11 and Saturday, May 25 respectively, on FOX.”

The last time Johnson commentated a game was March 5, when he was at Old Trafford for the Manchester United against Real Madrid match.

Barcelona lost 4-0 to Bayern Munich in the first leg on April 23.

What’s your opinion about Gus Johnson returning to the soccer airwaves? Share your feedback in the comments section below.

Thanks to reader San Franciscan for the news tip.

This entry was posted in FOX Soccer, Gus Johnson, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Gus Johnson to Make His Return To Commentating On Soccer With Barca-Bayern Match

1. Garry says:

I thought (hoped) FSC had gassed this failed experiment. Guess not. So much for listening to your subscribers.

2. Cantona says:

This is such an an embarrassment fr Fox… They don’t even realize it.. They actually think viewership increased because of him.. Forget the fact the last time we had to endure this amateur it was the two biggest teams on the planet… This train wreck should be interesting since we have Gus worshipper Ian Wright along with him… Probably the worst co-commentator out there… Fox has just programmed real fans to find alternate means.. Fox is increasingly becoming irrelevant in my and other fans football viewing.. Maybe they can covert the Villanova basketball fan…but most people aren’t buying it.

Johnson=crap

Cantona—-

3. San Franciscan says:

I’m confused on the video as well, isn’t the match on May the 1st? There goes my Wednesday.

4. Fog says:

May Day!!! May Day!!! We’re going to crash!!!

5. The American Voice of Soccer says:

Thanks for all the love EPL Talk fans! I’m going to knock your socks off!

Barka and Bayren – I can’t wait.

• Ivan says:

I am so happy that NBC is getting the rights of EPL, so I don’t have to listen him. I have never seen more unprepared announcer in my 24 years of watching soccer ( I am 30 years old ).

Hey FOX Soccer, you should get next time Joe Buck to announce a EPL game.

• The American Voice of Soccer says:

Actually, you may get your wish. We are considering using Joe as my co-commentator for Wednesday.

He is a huge fan of Barka and the Las Leagua. Me, I prefer Bayren and the Bumbasleagua.

6. Frank says:

Fox just won’t quit with this experiment. Someone should tell Fox the experiment has failed. Move on. Stop forcing the issue!

7. Mufc77 says:

For me It’s simple if FSC drop GJ I might be willing to keep the channel for champions league games.

If they keep GJ in canceling my plan as soon as the final whistle goes in the FA cup final.

• The American Voice of Soccer says:

That’s great to hear that you are keeping FSC just to hear my call of the Soccer Association cup final. Thank you for your support.

• CTBlues says:

Well next season’s UCL will be on Fox Sports 1 so you wont have to worry about keeping FSC.

8. Pete says:

Well, it was nice while it lasted. Guess I’ll be using FoxSoccer2Go this week.

Although…I am looking forward to reading about how Johnson mangles another match commentary.

He’s had some time to work on some new catch phrases. I’m sure he’s going to break them out to impress the masses.

• The American Voice of Soccer says:

I’m glad that I can add to the company’s profits by having fans invest in FS2Go. That is what I am here to do.

You can count on some jewels…I’ll be bringing them from the parking lot.

9. Sometimes, you guys take this stuff way too seriously.

Eric Shanks may have rushed “Mr. Rise and Fire” into calling big “football” matches before he was 100% ready, but Shanks really didn’t have a choice. FOX Soccer is going away soon.

Shanks does have John Strong ready as a capable #2 in case “Mr. Rise and Fire” can’t get his act together by the time the 2015 Women’s World Cup on FOX rolls around.

In any case, I do find “Mr. Rise and Fire” and his former partner “Mr. Ohions Double Order” useful (starting at the 3:50 mark of the video in the link below):

10. Marc L says:

I think the “Oliver Tse Productions” spambot up here would do a better job as commentator than Gus.

Good lord, Faux. Talk about not going gently into that good night. The day when you have less of your vile fingers around the neck of our beautiful game cannot come soon enough.

11. Dust says:

What on earth are they doing? The commentary s for both games using the sky feeds were great….

More people will be watching these second legs anyway… I’m sure fox will attribute it to the return of Gus… Unbelievable… Thank goodness they lost the BPL

12. Leafsfan305 says:

In other news, the NBC Sports app which will have the EPL games next season is now available to Dish Network customers. So it’s just those of us with DirecTV ( the leader in sports or so we are told) who are on the outside looking in.

• The Gaffer says:

Do you have a link or source for the info re: DISH Network doing a deal to make NBC Sports Live Extra available?

There are far more TV providers than DirecTV who don’t have a deal yet although I hope the number decreases significantly over time.

• Leafsfan305 says:

I’m sorry I don’t have a link for this. But what I so have is the app on my iPad which clearly shows Dish Network as one of the providers. This means the big providers, Xfinity, Fios and Dish are covered as well as five other companies. And, as I said in my initial comment, the only really big company NOT there is DirecTV.

DirecTV tends to ne pretty unresponsive to requests from customers, so I’m not sure what more people can do to ‘encourage’ them to sign on.

• The Gaffer says:

Thanks Leafsfan about the info about Dish.

As for DirecTV, all their customers can do is to continue to hit them up — especially on Twitter. The campaign and questions asked to DirecTV needs to be more visible so the public can see that subscribers are upset and are asking DirecTV to respond. They can’t ignore that.

13. Transic says:

Well, they’re going to take this through the end, I guess. This also has to mean he’s like to call the final. We all have our coping methods, so we should be prepared to use them.

• The American Voice of Soccer says:

You got it, I’ll be there at Wimbely for the Soccer Association Final.

Why don’t they have it at Old Tratford, I liked that place. Especially when I met my good friend Sir.

14. WorstAnnouncer Ever says:

As I have already let Fox Sports know, any game that Gus Johnson announces I will not watch, even if it is my team in the finals. I urge all of you to contact Fox and let them know your displeasure with Gus Johnson’s inability to do ANYTHING with a football match. He clearly has no clue what the game is about, he has no idea what a player is doing with the ball, and unless he is carried by an amazing color commentator, he will single-handedly ruin the game – as he has done on the 2 other appearances I have seen. Worst.Announcer.Ever

15. Scrumper says:

So we’ll have Fox pouring out the drivel making sure we all realise just how passionate our Gus really is and how he’s going to get the hang of this game by studying hard and looking at lots of pictures.

Unfortunately it won’t be this century. Go buy another stupid hat.

• Guy says:

Aww, you’ve done it now, Scrumper. It will be your fault when IN THE SIX shows up in a “real” basque beret.

• The American Voice of Soccer says:

Actually, I was considering wearing a Raspberry Beret – The kind u find in a second hand store.

Look it up kids!

16. rkujay says:

Gus is useless. Fox further adds to its own misery with its promo announcers. You know the one who call Cagliari…Kag lee airy…or the one who refers to a derby as a Durby…pronounced like the hat. The list goes on, but my real question is, has the American education system faltered to the point where we are all functioning illiterates or is it that Fox figures we are???

• rkujay says:

Just heard the promo jerk talk about Borussia …bore russ ia…russ as in rust. And don’t forget the ‘Mercy side Durby’.Does Fox hire these guys from high school?

I am beginning to feel that Fox is deliberately trying to p*ss everyone off.

• Sorry says:

Sorry to ruin your rants, but this thread’s shelf life has expired and no one is reading it any longer.

I only got here because I followed the directions on Google Maps.

17. Duke says:

This Gus fiasco is horrible….Fox: give it up. Please….Let British announcers work the games.

18. tropicjm1899 says:

Who cares if Gus Johnson is doing a game? Is he relevant? It’s a shame that one of the biggest games of year has Johnson and Ian Wright. I have to watch the match on mute because Wright has to be the worst ever! Can’t even understand him. Way to go Fox!

19. Nick says:

Gus Johnson may be the worst commentator I’ve ever heard. His voice is piercing and he flat out does not know the game or the players. As I’m watching the match now, he just mistook Javi Martinez for Mario Mandzucic (spelling?). One plays a defensive holding mid field role and the other is a center forward. How do you mistake two players who play 25 yards away from each other?? He has called Dani Alves “Pique” – really? Pique is 6’4 and Alves is 5’7. Dani has dark skin as he’s Brasilian and Pique is very pale, as he’s Spanish.

Why can’t they just allow the generic English broadcasters handle this like Andy Grey or Ian Darke? Hell, I’ll take Phil Shane over this guy.

20. Jack says:

At least give us a Spanish language alternative. Gus and Ray Hudson are alike – bad. At least Beinsport offers the games in Spanish. Nb: I do not speak or understand Spanish, I only want to see the game and ger the crowd noise.

21. rkujay says:

Hey Gus, you moron. Who is Ianesta? Oh, and please take a lesson or two on how to pronounce Hispanic names…Aidreano???

22. ic says:

Bloody unbelievably bad commentary from Gus Johnson. What the hell? @rkujay – I was wondering the same thing about the mispronunciation of Iniesta. RIDICULOUS!!! Gus doesn’t know crap about this game. You have no passion for the game. Have you ever actually played soccer? Spare us all and stop commentating soccer games. Stick to what you know.

23. Rick says:

Gus Johnson is horrendous. I’ve been sending emails to Fox Soccer Channel begging them to get him off the air. I’m going to start complaining to their sponsors. How can we persuade FSC to get rid of this buffoon?

• The Gaffer says:

From what I’ve heard, it was FOX Sports’s decision to hire him, not FOX Soccer. So you may be better off complaining to FOX Sports directly.