WED, 12PM ET
JUV2
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV0
MON1

Wayne Rooney’s Overhead Kick Against Man City: Video

Video: FSMD: Righteous Rooney

Wayne Rooney scored one of the goals of the season Saturday to defeat Manchester City in the hotly contested Manchester derby. In a drab game that had several uneventful spells mixed with possession-football by both sides, chances were few and far between.

So it took a moment of brilliance from Rooney to score an absolute peach of a goal past Joe Hart and to give all three points to United.

How good was the goal, and what are your thoughts regarding the game itself? Share your feedback in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

68 Responses to Wayne Rooney’s Overhead Kick Against Man City: Video

1. Slugs says:

GOAL OF THE SEASON!

Glory, Glory!

2. RedMD says:

Take a bow, son.

3. truth says:

fantastico

4. rooneyfan1 says:

rooney is bakk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

5. Dave C says:

I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that that goal is the stuff dreams are made of – local derby, top of the table clash, and a late winner from a perfectly executed over-head kick. Makes me wish I was 13 years old so I could go out and try and recreate it in the park.

6. Evan says:

Disappointed. A draw would have been a fairer result. Rooney’s strike was amazing and deserved to win any game though. Good job City.

7. canyid says:

Amazing. FIFA 12 programmers, take note.

8. what an absolute failure of marking.

• tonyspeed says:

no, it’s called patience. rooney was bullied and stiffled the entire game by centre halves the entire game, and the one time they forgot he was there … glory

9. Fitter says:

Amazing goal. I actually was speechless.

10. Dennie says:

Rooney nicely done.
    Rooney rating without goal = 6
    Rooney rating with goal =10
    check out http://soccer.mynucleus.org

11. Troy says:

Manchester is red and that’s a fact..
    Our midfield bossed today and Smalling was a brick wall.
    Took a fluky goal to make it a game.
    Feels good man. Real good.

12. Ross_kebab says:

Simply…

Messi

13. I guess Rooney is getting back his groove. Kudos to him

14. Nick says:

Can you explain how this was a drab game compared to the hailed Chelsea/Spurs game that you guys said was a reason to love the premier league?

I thought it was by no means a classic but I thought it was a pretty damn good game compared to all the very tedious encounters we’ve had between the Top 5 this season, the only one that comes to mind as being superior was the North London derby between Arsenal and Spurs. City were up for it from the first whistle and actually didn’t just shell into defense, there were some great opportunities, great midfield play from City, some good saves, one good goal from Nani, a lucky goal for City but one well earned after the way they’d played and one of the best goals of maybe the last 10 years from Rooney right there. And at no point did either side look to retreat, maybe it wasn’t El Classico and tiki taka football but it was a pretty exciting fixture.

15. Bob says:

That will be on the season higlight reel

16. Nard4Reynard says:

Slowly but sure, ManU took Manchester City down. Rooney’s goal is really an uppercut for Manchester City. Great job! MU will be the champion this year! :)

17. Scott says:

What an awesome goal. I’ve doubted Rooney since the contract negotiation issue. I still believe he’ll be sold in the summer, but no one can question his desire or skill with this bicycle kick. What a crucial time to score, too! Eat that, Tevez.

Also, btw, I was glad to not see DeJong out there today. He would have made a difference for City.

18. King Eric says:

one of the goals of the season?! i agree w/fergie in that it was one of the greatest united goals that i’ve seen live all time (yes up there w/the greats), especially given the scenario and occasion.

• Troy says:

when you take into account everything around it (the contract, the team, the poor form, the derby, the timing and the title race), i agree 100%

19. SoccerLimey says:

Rooney’s goal today for me signifies his pending return to form. He looks to be shedding those feelings of self-doubt that have haunted him since last summer.

I have been advocating his benching in favor of Hernandez for some time now as I think the Mexican is performing at a higher level. Until today.

Ferguson has shown why he does what he does, and why I do what I do, where Rooney is concerned. He realised that the only way to force Rooney’s form to improve was to play him until it returned. Simple stuff but it seems to be working.

United just signed their player back !

20. Why? says:

What people seem to forget is Rooney has for over a year been trying to get goals and failing miserably! He has attempted the spectacular many times they have to come off sometime unfortunately for City it was yesterday lol. There are many lower div players who do this to and never get a mention, but not every week or even near just like Rooney. For the rest of the game he was less than average some may say ‘as long as he scores like that who cares’ but the fact is he won’t and he doesn’t or definitely not enough, besides one exceptional season has never been world class just a media golden boy, these always seem to come from one of the top sides and are usually massively overrated just like him and the country pins its hope on them even though the England team is clearly crap.

City more than took this game to Utd and in my opinion looked the most likely winners for most of the game in fact in most of the reds that I know though this to! They were separated by a world class goal taken by a decent player albeit an out of form one (something like 5 goals in 40 games?). There is no longer any difference between City and Utd on the playing side of things (City are still improving all the time while Utd are at there peak, this has taken two years!) but City still have a way to go in shall we say in terms of gaining the respect of ref’s and also how the opposition play against them this comes with many years of winning same as the pool in the 80′s it is seen as luck or biasness by supporters but is more like over respect maybe not fair but it’s life all the same. Something City will never get though is the biasness and favouritism of the media that has been in love with Utd for over 6 decades which not even the likes of Liverpool have seen even though they had won much, much more than Utd, they truly are the darlings of the media. Here’s some examples of this, a TV report before the game stated City were being defensive by playing one up front and 5 in mid as they have done for 80-90% of the season but didn’t bat an eye lid at the fact Utd were doing the same something they certailly don’t do every game or even near! Also how about the focus also on how much City have spent yet before they had money say when Stuart Peirce was in charge the City team cost about £9m and Utd’s came to about £190m but they never mentioned this they just say City haven’t won for so and so years this is typical of the Utd loving British media. It was pretty much the same as the game at Eastlands Utd came not to lose and played defensively but it was all City’s fault for being negative even though Utd played the sam way!!

You may not agree but this is my opinion of the game. City would have more than deserve a point had it come but it did not, all in all two very similar quality of teams out there one aging in need of new finacial backing (if this doesn’t come soon they will be in trouble) that has had millions upon million spent on it for decades breaking transfer record after transfer record more than any other team a fact conveniently forgot by the media, while the other has had similar amounts spent in a much shorter time which is still waiting these players to fully settle and gel, but should have for the start of next season (many only signned this year)they just have to get rid of Hughes’s very poor signings with the exception of Tevez and De Jong and they will be a team to be feared in the next few years, mark my words no amount of luck will change this!

• Why not? says:

Could it be that we have Mike Summerbee commenting on EPLTalk? because I feel like i have seen this before…

For someone who seems to hinge quite a bit of their argument on Man Utd’s luck, you seem quick to forget just how City were able to bundle home their lone goal….

• Why? says:

Ha, I have seen the mike summerbee interview but even funnier is the fact that the stats they (SKY) bring up at the end are totally different to their web page an hour later how can that be??? What happened? Did the facts change after the game? So I think he has a point when he mentions the so called stats unless Mr Why not? you can explain how the same people can come up with two totally different sets of stats which are also different to the BBC’s check them out if u don’t believe me!! Say a lot about the stats doesn’t it! basiclly they are wrong or at least two out of the three must be which ones?
        I don’t hinge any argument on Utd’s luck what are u on about? I say they have over respect from Ref’s because of who they are they get away with much more, this was no different to Liverpool of the 80′s it’s just how it go’s when a team is so successful they get the ‘homer’ treatment to there games when it comes to ref’s you may not no what that means and that wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

• Nick says:

A) Your bitterness is really amusing

B) You’re right, City bossed are midfield the whole match, our defense were about comparable. I thought about for some nice passing play by Tevez and one moment of genius from Rooney, both are strikers were rather anonymous. I think both Silva and Nani were probably Man of the Match for most of the 90 minutes.

C) I dunno where the f**k you’ve been but, it’s not been over a year since Rooney was in form, it’s been about 9 months, that’s not even a year, let a lone “over” a year. I hate to quibble words but you’re implying something very different. Rooney has been brilliant for years now, getting better and better the last 3. Many players go on dry runs, I don’t think Torres is s**t because he wasn’t scoring, I didn’t think Drogba was s**t when he didn’t, but Rooney has faced more setbacks to returning to form than either of them. At his best, he’s one of the best in the world and I think Tevez is as well, but yr seriously deluded if you think Rooney is average at best.

• Troy says:

I would argue that Smalling or Vidic could have earned MOTM as well. (I would have really liked to see what Smalling could have done if he got the ball while breaking down the middle on that counter late in the match.) Hopefully, this will be the end of Johnny Evans. And despite my skepticism when the lineups were released, O’Shea played a really strong game as well. I just wish Evra would quit thinking he was a winger instead of a fullback, he’s gotten burned on that a couple times this season (especially with the missed overhead clearance that led to a goal in the match at Anfield).

• Why? says:

Nick, Utd defence were good in this game your right. Also Nani and Silva were the best two players on the day well spotted.
        I tell you were I have been for the last year watvhing Rooney fail misrablay since before April the 7th last year when Fergie said he had an ankle injury that he did not to get him out of the limelight then I watched he be one of england’s worse players in the world Cup the he was just as bad for Utd, Now what the date today oh were half way through Feb and he lost form in April of last year how wrong was I eh? 2 weeks out oh my. I think the question should be were have you been for the last year lol. How has he been any better the any other decent prem strrker? NO top striker go on dry runs for a year get real!! I dont mean a season I mean a year! Torres has been injuried on and of without a run in the team and Drogba of form has near enogh double Rooney’s tally for this season! and he’s at the end of his career not at near enough the peek! I say Rooney is decent never world class with the exception of ONE SEASON. Hopefully this will explain where I have been for the year, where the f**k u were god knows!!

• Troy says:

You mad? Cause it sounds like you mad…

Citeh were beaten. You can cry and complain about everything you want, but it won’t change the result. Did it take a spectacular goal to do it? Yes. But that’s one more spectacular goal than MCFC had. Maybe Mancini should just go back to throwing ten men behind the ball and playing for draws, at least then Citeh would get some points that way.

As for the day tripper comment, if you paid any attention, you would know that I’ve been posting MUFC stuff on this site for about the last year and a half under the same tag. Seems like my friend, that you are the butt-hurt Citeh day tripper that stumbled onto EPL talk and got your little feelers hurt because a player who has been out of form for about nine-months just created a highlight that will live in infamy at the expense of your rent boys.

As I said before. Feels good man. REAL GOOD.

• Why? says:

No Troy I’m a season ticket holding Man City fan I did not choose my team cos they were the best. My family has a history with the club that goes back over a 100 years I live 100 yards from where Anna Connell the Man City founders house is, my Grandfather was a scout for Utd in the 50′s but he was still a City fan, City are in my families blood and the and reason I support them is because of this and not what they have won, do u see the difference? It is easy to support a team when the only reason is success but don’t worry your not a day tripper cos you haven’t even been near Old Trafford so I was wrong about that. I’m not mad just stating facts that u don’t seem to understand. I’ll bet your other team is Barcelona . P.S. mine are City reserves.

• Troy says:

Cool story bro…
          funny how you feel compelled to validate your fandom. Personally, I wouldn’t give a d*mn if you own Citeh, it doesn’t make you any less of a prick. Also, I like how you assume that I’ve never been to OT, just like all your other retarded assumptions that I’ve been subjected to all day. Just because I didn’t grow up with my d**k stapled to the ground doesn’t mean I can’t be a fan (and to be honest, the fact that I’m annoying you so much that you have to try to make asinine points to prove why I’m not a fan, just proves that, in fact, I am). Why don’t you head over to the bluemoon boards and cry with your boyfriends about how an “over-the-hill” striker did your sorry club in (just like late in the 2nd leg of the CC last season, or how about geriatric Scholes’ winner at wastelands last year). One is luck, twice is a coincidence, three late winners just means United are better. Get over it.
          P.S. Continuing to make you mad because there’s nothing you can do about it……FEELS REAL F’N GOOD MAN. I’m gonna enjoy this win allllllll week.

• Why? says:

I know u haven’t been within a 500 hundred miles of Old Trafford u tool simply cos of the words u use!! U are a glory hunter simple as, and sad as fuk to boot. I have been puttin knobs like u down on this site for time my friend, longer than u been calling urself troy here u plumb ask the Gaffer if u don’t believe this. U are all that’s wrong with football if you had said I follow such and such cos my family originate from there much respectto u, but the truth is u follow cos they win u gimp and u know it ifthis is not true I double dare ya to to prove otherwise u sado!
            I haven’t complained or moaned about the result once I simply state the fact that both clubs are now level! U have no grace at all and are as plastic as cling film u tit, u don’t know what I’m on about do u? LMFAO. Now go and have a pop at my grammar u knob end.
            Why do u support Utd then let’s hear your story mong is it like this-” I grew up in New York and somtin was always missing I was a loser so I decided to follow some winners?” LOL u sad sack you are a fan but will never be a supporter and u urself are so dim u don’t know why you absolute tard. What does ‘d**k stapled to the ground doesn’t mean I can’t be a fan’ mean pleb?
            Once again you don’t make me mad at all I love pillocks like u it’s fun pulling u apart cos ur thick as pig shxt and know little about football (not soccer) Mwwhahahaha u spanner.

• Phenoum says:

@ Why

Stunning display of intelligence and grammar in that post sir.

That is all

• Troy says:

Oh yeah, you’re real mad. Isn’t it well after midnight over there right now? Does your mom know you’re using her computer this late in order to act like an internet tough guy? I doubt she would appreciate that. To be honest, I only wanted to read a couple lines of your ridiculous babbling, but it was so hilarious I had to read the whole thing.

How typical of a Citeh fan to not do their research. In your attempted insult about my glorious fantasy life in New York, you forgot to mention that the Yankees have won the World Series 27 times, which I guess technically could make them a winner. But of course, facts like that just seem to escape people like you. It’s ok though, I’m not surprised since you probably don’t know how to calculate a number when it appears to be higher than 2 (1937 and 1968).

Woah, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to blow your mind with all those digits there. I’ll put it in letters so you can understand, United are better, always will be. Get over it. Stop trying to compensate for your club’s inadequacies by personally attacking supporters of other clubs.

And for god’s sake. Use a god d*mn period in your sad rants every once in a while. It’s like reading one never ending retarded run-on sentence.

• Troy says:

Secondly, I love the elitist notion that someone can’t become a supporter of a club if they don’t live in the country. Especially, when the only reason Citeh is any good is because they were bought and financed by a group of people who don’t live in the country.

Hypocrisy is a beautiful thing, isn’t it?

• SoccerLimey says:

Man City fans always highlight their laughable bias by slinging hateful comments at Old Trafford followers.

Truth be told is that most United fans could care less about what goes on at Eastlands, because whatever the Berties do, they always seem to find a way to screw it all up, and then squeal like a group of stuck pigs about their bad luck.

It hasn’t changed in 50 years.

It’s great ain’t it !

• eplnfl says:

The score was top rate, over the top, first class, a poster shot. Rooney should rightly be proud.

However, his performance in the match was fair as has been his season. He was a no show in South Africa and continues to have off the field issues. If you watch the play develop he made a mistake which caused the ball to be moved back to the right and then back towards him.

So let us not give more than momentary praise.

• Why? says:

Phenoum,

Yeh nice one pal but it is 3:30 here an am pissed up. If ya dint understand and ur not British sorry bout that but that was part of it. Troy decided to get a bit personal so e got it back.
          P.S. u don’t need good grammar here surely football knowledge is a wee bit more important (Please excuse Troy regarding this as he may do his spelling checks fine but he‘s not a clue about footie lol,) as it’s a football site at the end of the day, unless I’m so pissed I’ve ended up at the writers guild site instead. If so I beg ur pardon and shall start to study Shakespeare straight away!

• SoccerLimey says:

Excellent job me Old Son in showing the football world just how City fans think. Reminds me of the days on Kippax street……

• Troy says:

Jesus, you are dense. Here is a direct quote from your very first pathetic little rant..
            “As for the tool above who seems to think Utd’s midfield dominated what game were you watching? A typical Utd day tripper football fan showing the arrogance of many fake Utd fans that have helped to make them the most disliked team the world over while giving the real supporters a bad name he is the type who will change allegiance with the tide, only a fan if they win. Anderson was piss poor with Scholes and Fletcher not far behind! Utd for most of the game were restricted to long shots by Nani who did have a good game as did Giggs but certainly didn’t dominate midfield.”

You attacked me first moron, do you even try listening to yourself? Don’t try to dish it out if you can’t take it, jackass.

• Why? says:

Who the fuk are the Yankees? U Clown this is a football site!! what’s a World Series surely only American teams play in this as no one else in the world could give two fuks!! No offence to Americans but ur sports are not really known in Europe just like football isn’t over there well especially when it comes to Troy lol, Troy your a fookin loon! But I’ll bet if they’re the best u will follow them, why cos ur sad as fuk! bet you follow all the best teams in the USA don’t u sado makes ya feel better about being such a loser yourself eh? It’s 4 am here tool but it’s cool as I’m self employed and have nowt on tomoz. Bet ur on the dole (welfare there I think) get of the crack pal it’s doing u no good what so ever.

• Troy says:

Is self-employed some sort of English slang for unemployed? Because it sounds like it from the way you type.

• why? says:

The clue’s in the two words think about!! You can’t be real. SELF-EMPLOYED and unemployed, hmmmm what could the difference be?

• Troy says:

I know right. It almost makes as much sense as some retard bringing up New York in some daft attempt to insult someone else on an English football site, when he has no idea where the person he’s trying desperately to insult lives.

Problem logic?

• why? says:

It could have been anywhere in America! The point I was making is that it’s obvious that ur not a supporter and that u choose Utd because they were successful, u sound like a loser so Utd success made u feel part of it and not so bad about being a band wagon jumper LOL. Why New York upsets u so much I have no idea! What u got against New York?

• Why? says:

Troy a tool is basically someone who hasn’t a clue what there talking about. So when you say Utd’s midfield dominated you didn’t know what you were talking about as even the most staunch Utd fan will tell you this wasn‘t the case! So you see you are indeed a tool, this is not attacking you just a fact! I withdraw my day tripper comment this was out of order as u will never take a trip to Old Trafford in your life, but if you do ever visit the UK I suggest you follow Chelsea as they come from a place called London and u would be more likely to visit them.

Troy why are u a fan of Manchester United? My guess is it’s because they have won more then anyone else over the last 20 yrs which if true means that u are a glory hunter, in America this may not be seen as bad but in the UK glory hunters are seen as sad and pathetic people.

What is your fixation with good grammar??? Do u know u are writing on a football blog? And not a literate masterpiece. U understand every word but because u haven’t a clue about football you try to play the grammar Nazi card. If it wasn’t for ur own piss poor grammar on previous posts this would be hilarious but as it is u just look more of a tool.

‘Also, there’s no point for spell checks when the site has those little squiggly red lines that say when you’ve spelled something wrong. All it takes is a little right click to fix.’ ??????????
          Hmmm you seem not to realise I’m in a different Country and do not have this facility. Not that this would bother me in the slightest as long as people understand it’s all good I‘m not after the Booker Prize here!!.

‘P.S. If you did know anything about football, you’d know that soccer was actually a term that originated in England so it would be differentiated from the traditional football (or rugby). Soccer was a slang term for the “Soc” part in Football Association. Get over yourself.’

This is the also inaccurate you should keep off wikipedia it’s full mostly of s**t put on by the ill informed like yourself. The word socca (pronounced differently soccer) was used by a few upper class toffs to describe a game that had split off from rugby, a game that did not even resemble football in the slightest as we know it today. It was more like Rugby with less contact the toffs didn’t want it confused with Rugby but the word soccer is a word nobody used to describe this game. Neither sport was anything like football at the time The rugby group used the word socca as a word to describe a sport that evolved into football eventually after years but the word used by non mainly non-football people at a few of the elite universities to differentiate between the two, not really by the later lower class football people. The word soccer was never used to describe either game in England only in the USA etc many, many years later so if your saying that Americans took the word socca changed the pronunciation and the spelling then you may be near the truth, otherwise ur barking up the wrong tree.
          Rugby was not really known as plain football but as ‘rugby football’ or ‘rugger’ the later by the same person who coined the phrase ‘socca’ . Rugby football then split giving rugby and football. So the word socca may originate in the UK albeit in a tiny window of history and by very few to describe a totally different sport to football. The word soccer was not used here ever my man. These events are disputed and thought to be very hazy at best so it’s difficult to know the full facts. Football has been described in the UK as early as 1170 but really may have well been called throw ball or punch head!! The word soccer is used in the USA etc as u already had football as a sport before it got any popularity. Basically if u call football soccer then football is certainly not you first sport! Nice try though u slightly impressed me!

Hopefully this is long winded enough for ya!

• Why? says:

You can’t support a club unless ur supporting it u tool that means paying wonga, doh, dosh, u Know money fool other wise u are simply a fan an that don’t mean buying a shirt from Nike. What the fuk elitist has to do with anything I don’t know or are u just trying to look clever if so it’s not working lol . Do u get it now? if you were in England u may live in London, Bristol, Birmingham as sado like u would still be a Utd fan but wouldn’t support them as the word is what it is don’t u get that? Any how I’m going bed keep writing your bollocks and I’ll rip the piss out of u some more tomoz. Crack on son.

• Troy says:

Aw are you done slaughtering the English language for tonight? Too bad.

I’m sure you’ll have all the time tomorrow since all you do is sit around with your d**k in your hand thinking about Dzeko’s made-up little haircut.

21. I still do not understand United’s decision not to start Berbatov in the big games.

22. GiovaNYC says:

It was a fantastic goal in a huge game, well done Rooney. But I am getting sick of the English media hype over Rooney. If Nani had struck the same shot, it would have been given far less acclaim and some would have accused him of typical latin showboating.

Did no one else think that Rooney’s goal celebration screamed of self-importance and of someone who really believes everything the press says about him? He held himself up, arms stretched, like Jesus or something.

Until he can deliver greater consistency of good sportsmanship and regular goals and also at the international level, he simply isn’t good enough to act as he does…or be (3) lionized as he is by the press.

For the record, I was a neutral in the Manchester derby so don’t care one way or another who won…

23. that`s wonderful, Rooonneyy, keep One Man United destroying less fancied teams.

24. Chris says:

Yes is was a good goal but was it better than Berbatov’s bicycle in his hat trick vs Liverpool. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4Ay2tfS_E 1:01 mark) No it wasn’t but unfortunately he is not English and is a lazy striker. The British so want an English player to do well that they are blinded or do not give credit to foreign players (because foerign players are the ones causing the English team to play like crap in inter comps)

25. Abid says:

simply stunning

26. chris says:

I was enjoying that spat between Troy and Why. Why did it have to end.

• Troy says:

I’m still here man. Always will be. It was quite enjoyable for me as well. There’s nothing like truly getting under the skin of some bitter blue and watching him try to validate himself and his club by slinging laughable insults in an effort to prove how much of an internet tough guy he is.

Trolling is an art, and that day, I painted a masterpiece.