SAT, 8:45AM ET
HUL
SOU
SAT, 11AM ET
STO
WHU

EPL Talk Podcast: Brian Hough, the Football Pub and Transfer News

Football Pub Logo EPL Talk Podcast: Brian Hough, the Football Pub and Transfer News

On Episode 126, host Kartik Krishnaiyer is joined in a look at the Football Pub show by Brian Hough. Hough, also gives his take on all 20 EPL teams coming into the new season. Then we catch up with Misha Sher to discuss the ESPN rights deal in the US, and all things transfer market from Liverpool to Man City to of course, Real Madrid. Host

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

About Kartik Krishnaiyer

View all posts by Kartik Krishnaiyer →

12 Responses to EPL Talk Podcast: Brian Hough, the Football Pub and Transfer News

1. Don says:

Your guest is the least knowledgeable person I’ve ever heard on a podcast. Like 15 factual errors in a row!

1. It wasn’t a loss of Adebayor & Toure. They were sold.
    2. Arsenal didn’t get better in the 2nd half of last season. Well actually, Arsenal only lost one of their last 24 games in the EPL.
    3. Arsenal was/is after no “young guy from Marseille”.
    4. Wenger has an eye for talent but doesn’t reach full fruition at Arsenal. Is this guy real? It’s a footballing legend (well-rooted in fact) that Wenger’s players give their best to Arsenal and NEVER scale the same heights after leaving!
    5. He says Arsenal need more than RVP & Cesc to get above others. Is he really that ignorant? Eduardo, Rosicky, Arshavin, RVP, Cesc…more world class attacking & creative talent than Liverpool. Arsenal have easily the best attacking lineup in the league.

6. Arsenal going to depend on Young Guns this season. Half true. Look at the first 11 and see serious experience. Even the likes of Bendtner at 21 have close to 30 international caps.

I’m not even an Arsenal fan but this guy got everything so wrong….

2. Brandon says:

1. Loss/Sale They are still without the two of them.
    2. Had Aston Villa stayed on the same pace I think Arsenal would still would have had issues catching them.
    3. I think he just messed up the team. He later referred to Chamakh who is from Bordeaux.
    4. But how much better would they have been had they stayed at Arsenal?
    5. I believe he was referring to true carry over from last year. The other have yet to get a full season under their belt with Arsenal.
    6. They are still young which it sounded like all he was saying. 30 international caps does not make someone a team leader.

I think the point of what The Football Pub guys are trying to do is give an outlet for people to debate about things. He never claimed to be an expert on the game, and even states that they are just fans wanting to give people the opportunity to chat and ask questions of people in the sport.

3. Don says:

1. There’s a big difference between a manager moving players on and losing them.
    2. Arsenal were tops in September. If they’d stayed tops Man Utd would have had problems catching them. Silly argument. He claimed Arsenal didn’t improve in the 2nd half. Factually Incorrect, not matter of opinion. If they’d played the entire season with the form of the last 24 games, they’d have won the league.
    3. Messed up the team. Exactly. He wasn’t on top of his facts.
    4. Fact is, players Arsene Wenger recruited at Arsenal played best under him almost without exception. So the Hough guy was clearly wrong.
    5. Again, he was clearly wrong. Arsenal are not “depending” on Cesc & RVP. They’ve got other world class attacking & creative talent.
    6. Young but not inexperienced. Point is that even younger Arsenal players are not complete novices. Most of them have been at the club 3,5,6 years. And they’re all internationals.

4. Scott says:

Don you might be the least knowledgeable person I’ve ever read complain about someone on a pod-cast. For someone who isn’t an Arsenal fan you sure know a awful lot about them. I am an Arsenal fan and I have no problem with his opinions. Lets go through your points one by one shall we

1. Adebayor & Toure were sold? You mean Arsene woke up and said I don’t need this guy who scored 30 goals for me 2 seasons ago and I don’t need this defender who is the last player from that undefeated season “I’m going to sell them” Adebayor signed a contract extension before last season and Wenger deceides to sell him yeah thats what happened. Both players wanted out in other words they left.

2. Arsenal had four straight 0-0 league games in February. Last time I checked February was in the second half of the season. I saw every game and I can assure you they did not get stronger. They lost 4-1 at home to Chelsea on May 10 for crying out loud you call that getting stronger? On that form you think they would have finished on top? Who’s the moron Don? It’s you.

3. I’m sorry Don I had no idea everyone has to be so perfect to get your approval. He made a mistake with the team because he got the name of the player correct.

4. I guess Henry didn’t win the Champions League with Barcelona. He played for Wenger didn’t he? He had a pretty successful season and he scored a lot of goals. What about Ashley Cole? I guess you forgot about them.

5. Ok lets throw in Eduardo, Rosicky, Arshavin et al. They have talent but you think they have better attacking talent then Liverpool? Who’s the ignorant one here? You Don it’s you.

6. Arsenal is getting younger moron.Period. End of sentence. I don’t care how many times you play for your country. They are inexperienced team again this season. How many games has Eduardo played? Vela? How many chances did Bendtner miss?

In closing Brian said he wasn’t a reporter or a pundant. He is just a guy who has a podcast where they sit and chew the fat on football. He’s also human. He makes mistakes and based on what you wrote not once but twice so do you.

• Kautzie says:

Scott how can you insinuate that Liverpool have more attacking talent than Arsenal? Outside of Torres and Gerrard there’s not much there, Kuyt is a hard worker and a decent player but i’d take RVP over him anyday, Ryan Babel though extremely talented is very inconsistent and Benitez doesn’t have enough confidence to play him anyway take Eduardo over him too, Reira couldn’t lace Nasri’s boots and most people would believe a healthy Rosicky is better than Benayoun. Also we’ve got world class players like Arshavin and Fabregas and talented young guys like Walcott, Wilshere, Vela and even Bendtner, It’s not attacking talent anybody should worry about with Arsenal because we have as much as anybody does it’s DM and CD that people should worry about. Also I love Toure but he is clearly not the player he used to be and 16 million for him is a great deal as is 25 for Adebayor who Citeh fans will grow to hate eventually. It’s not as bad as you think it is Scott, Liverpool overachieved last year just like some people think we overachieved the year before that, this year their luck will even out and we’re only a couple of players away from contending. The big question is will Wenger sign those players or will the crooked board pocket the money.

5. DaveMo says:

Gaffer/KK – The audio on this is a little garbled. It sounds as if the questions and the answers came from different sources, because it’s only the questions that are corrupted. Starts around the 9m mark. Totally unlistenable in parts.

• The Gaffer says:

Dave, sounds like Kartik was having a bandwidth issue during those few minutes while he was on Skype. It fixes itself pretty soon thereafter, though.

6. Don says:

Scott,

1. Both players had years on their contract. Arsenal didn’t have to sell. Adebayor admitted he was shocked to be sold.

2. Use your brain young man. They lost 5 by November and lost one the rest of the season. If that’s not an improvement, tell me what is. From February
    to April they won all their league games, and went to the Champions League semi final.

4. Ashley Cole hasn’t played as well as he did at Arsenal. Neither has Henry. The one Arsenal player sold who came close to his Arsenal form afterwards, funny enough is Anelka. You nitwit, do you really think the Hough guy was correct that Arsene Wenger nurtures talent but they never come to fruition under him. It’s one of the least knowledgeable comments I ever heard any pundit make. Straight out.

5. Again, do you really think it’s correct that Arsenal are banking only on Cesc & RVP to get ahead of the pack? Arsenal have Arshavin, Eduardo, Van Persie, Vela, Rosicky, Nasri, Walcott, Wilshere. Liverpool have Torres, Gerrard, Ngog, El Zhar, Riera, Kuyt. Take your pick. You’re perhaps even less knowledgeable than your mate on the podcast.

6. Actually, Arsenal are not getting younger. Use your effing brain. They’re literally one year older than last year. Look at Arsenal’s first 11 and you don’t find many spring chickens in there. The squad is young, but the core of the team is not. Get it?

You really must be very stupid if you think a pundit should just say outright false things. Everybody can have an opinion but you can’t tell people things that are not true. And those 5 statements are clearly false, and I bet even he would own up to that.

• Scott says:

Don that is no way to treat anybody who’s telling you the truth. Adebeyor deceided to go to man City he wasn’t surprised. Drawing when you should be winning is not championship form. Arsenal lost Adebeyor 25 and Toure 28 so now they are a year older grow a brain dumbell.

• Don says:

Whatever dude. Hold on to Brian’s stuff if it helps you. I’m just giving feedback. It’s not positive feedback, but it doesn’t have to be. Obviously I like and follow the pod, been listening all year, and I felt this one pundit seemed extremely unknowledgeable.

Again, I’m not even an Arsenal fan. I’m a Fulham fan. I watched most of the EPL games last season. I was rooting for Villa against Arsenal so I got to know quite a bit about the club. By the end of the year I realised Arsenal is much stronger than the pundits say. Ask Rafa Benitez. I think he was the one who pointed out that when you look closely Arsenal aren’t so young…And it was the special one who said a team with Van Persie, Gallas & Fabregas should be challenging.

Whatever dude.

7. Scott says:

Don do the world a favor download thefootballpub pod-cast and listen. Brian gives out his email. Instead of writing it out here contact him direct.

8. The Gaffer says:

I finally had a chance to listen to this episode and quite enjoyed the preview of the season with Brian and Kartik. Nice work lads. Readers, if you haven’t listened to the episode yet, do yourself a favor and listen to it today.