WED, 2:45PM ET
MAL
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV
ZEN

The Cord Cutter’s Guide to Watching Soccer on US TV and Internet

The Cord Cutters Guide to Watching Soccer on US TV and Internet

If you are like many out there who don’t want to have a monthly cable/satellite bill anymore, but still want to watch live soccer matches, you are in luck. “Cord cutters” now have many different ways to watch live soccer events without having to fork out $50, $60, or $70 a month in television provider fees. Listed below are seven different ways you can get your soccer fix relatively cheaply.

1. Watch games at a pub – Depending on what city/town you live in, there should be pubs or sports bars nearby that will show live soccer matches. Some pubs are designated “homes” for specific soccer teams and will broadcast many (if not all) of their club’s matches.  Many international soccer clubs have American websites that will list certain pubs that show their team’s matches. Click here for a list of soccer friendly pubs throughout America and Canada (note: this is not necessarily a complete list of pro-soccer pubs in North America, it is just a guide).

2. DishWorld – DishWorld is a streaming device that allows its customers to watch certain international television channels without having a cable box or satellite dish.  For $10 a month you can have their sports package which includes seven channels, two of which provides extensive soccer coverage (beIN Sports and One World Sports). The sports package will air Serie A, La Liga, Ligue 1, and Copa del Rey matches, as well as Arsenal, Barcelona, Chelsea, and Bayern Munich coverage.  For a review of DishWorld’s services, click here.

3. Movie theaters – With help from NBCSN, select movie theaters are now showing one Barclays Premier League game per week for the rest of the 2014-15 season.  33 movie theaters around the country will show a Premier League match on Saturday mornings.  To guarantee top-quality matchups every week, games will be announced every Tuesday.  To view the matchup of the week, buy tickets, and/or to find out if a theater near you will be showing live Premier League matches, click here.

4. MLS Live – For MLS fans, MLS Live offers access through Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, Android, and Panasonic devices for a fee. To subscribe for the rest of this season, MLS Live charges $31.99. If you would rather pay by the month, it would cost $15.99 per month.  Access to MLS Live will let you view every match of the American professional soccer league.

5. FOX Soccer 2GO – This subscription-based app offers soccer matches from the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, CONCACAF Champions League, Scottish Premier League, FA Cup, England National Team (home games), Australian Hyundai A-League, and the Israeli Premier League. With FOX Soccer 2GO you can stream over 1,200 live and on demand soccer matches on your Mac or PC.  Subscription fees are either $19.99 per month, or $169.99 per year.

6. Over-the-air antenna – TV antennas can offer many local channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, etc.) without having to commit to cable or satellite contracts. How many specific channels your antenna picks up usual depends on what part of the country you live in (and the strength of the antenna). NBC airs some Barclays Premier League and MLS matches on the weekends and FOX has shown UEFA Champions League finals in the past.  Some localized Spanish language channels show Liga MX matches as well.  (I have tried different antennas in the past and I would personally suggest the Mohu Leaf).

7. Using a VPN – As discussed in my article last week, using a VPN (virtual private network) to stream live Barclays Premier League matches can be done easily, along with help from BBC’s iPlayer (or iTV).  Hotspot Shield will give you simplified instructions on how to properly download their free VPN and you can quickly start to watch British soccer programing once you receive a UK IP address and download the program.

17 Responses to The Cord Cutter’s Guide to Watching Soccer on US TV and Internet

1. Arsenal Till I Die says:

If you add up all the streaming services needed to legally watch games, it comes out to be not that much less than the cost for cable.

2. Grayson says:

Or if you don’t want to cut the cord, DirecTV is the best way to go in the US in my opinion. You’ve got NBCSN, NBC Live Extra, all the Champions League and Europa League games exclusively (plus all the golf and tennis majors bonus coverage).

With Bein Sports, Fox Sports 1 and 2, Fox Soccer Plus (which isn’t worth it unless you want the Scottish League and some rugby, and some exclusive champions league matches), as well as ESPN deportes (and other extra Spanish language channels that carry many different leagues) in their extra packages, if you want to pay for access to the game conventionally, I think DirecTV offers the best way, although it will cost you.

I do this, and I think Fox Soccer Plus is the only one I really hate myself for paying for, as it’s way too costly, but it’s the only way I can guarantee that I won’t miss Man City games in the champions league and FA cup. Luckily, I can afford it now, but I should drop it on principle.

I hope in the future cutting the cord might be an option, but my wife has her own shows, so I’ll just choose the sports add-ons that I need. I do love the online content that’s out there, as I often use ESPN3, NBC Live app, and some crappy live streams when I’m in a bind that’s not covered by my cable package (with NBC now having all EPL games, that’ few and far between).

• Tim says:

No question Directv is completely worth the money. I subscribed back when Setanta sports was available and since then it has only got better with access to all EPL, UCL and Europa league at no extra charge.

• Mute Button says:

DIRECTV offers the best deal by far. Take the Choice Xtra package (which includes FOX Sports 2 and NBC Sports Network) and add the “Deportes” add-on for $4.99/month (which includes ESPN Deportes, FOX Deportes, beIN Sports en Espanol, GOLTV, and TyC Sports USA) and you are all set. There is really no need for the Sports pack (which includes beIN SPORTS in English) or FS+.

3. Frill Artist says:

Until there is an internet a la carte buffet style option for sports fans, people will continue to use illegal streams.

These greedy execs would rather be stuck in the past and have people pirate events instead of offering it to them Netflix or Hulu style.

4. goatslookshifty says:

“Watch games at a pub”? Yeah, I end up spending just as much getting sloshed and the taxi ride home.

5. Martin J. says:

For the true soccer fan who wants to watch multi league games there is no cord cutting option that saves money. If one is interested in just one league then there may be a better option.

6. Ken says:

Google chrome has several extensions that take away all the work just click and watch.

7. Chris says:

I cut the cord a while ago and can still watch quite a bit of footy surprisingly.. what’s nice about cord cutting is you only have to pay for the league or leagues you want to watch. Instead of paying approx $60 a month for a bunch of junk channels with the occasional two or three footy channels, I can pay for dish world for $10 and MLS package for about $50 a season.. that’s less than half the price if I bought cable… I’m not able to catch many EPL games except the occasional game on NBC, but I can watch La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1 (I don’t watch french soccer though), and MLS. I watch Liga MX over the air on the local Spanish channels. The only league I wish I could find a good solution for watching and one of my favorites is the Bundesliga. If anyone knows of great online options for the Bundesliga let me know!

8. Tony Butterworth says:

BBC and ITV don’t show many live games. I don’t think you can get Sky with a VPN.

9. John says:

Let’s face it, you really can’t be a cord-cutting sports fan unless all you care about is the NFL. I’m not going to drag myself to a bar for 7 am every Saturday just to save $20 on cable.

10. EPLNFL says:

Has anyone tried out the theater yet?

11. Pakapala says:

i was expecting a more extensive article than a get “Dishworld” or go to a bar/theater.

• Christopher Harris says:

Chris wrote about all of the legal options available to soccer fans in the United States, which was pretty comprehensive. What did he miss?

12. Terry says:

Chris

As far as I’m aware, Sky Sports and BT Sport are the only UK networks showing the BPL. How would using a VPN to access BBC’s iPlayer allow me to stream live BPL matches?

Thanks!