SUN, 8:30AM ET
VIL
ALM
SUN, 8:30PM ET
LAG
SEA

Reviewing Premier League Refereeing Decisions: Gameweek 32

jose mourinho ballboy incident Reviewing Premier League Refereeing Decisions: Gameweek 32

This weekend’s Premier League fixtures had the least amount of controversial refereeing decisions for a very long time. A good weekend for the officials in that respect, but there were still a few incidents where further punishment could have been taken.

Firstly, Juan Mata was fouled in the box during Man Utd’s 4-1 victory against Aston Villa. Mata was put through after a superb ball by Shinji Kagawa. Mata was just left of goal, on the edge of the six yard box, when Leandro Bacuna clumsily came from behind and took Mata’s legs from beneath him.

Referee Martin Atkinson awarded the spot kick without hesitation and brandished a yellow card almost immediately, but I think there was a case for a red card. Mata was just about to pull the trigger and strike the ball at the goal. Therefore, it was an obvious goal scoring opportunity. Despite the fact that there were defenders covering in the middle, a shot at goal is a goal scoring opportunity, especially when the ball is so close to goal.

Reviewing Premier League Refereeing Decisions: Gameweek 32

In the Crystal Palace-Chelsea game, Gary Cahill challenged Yannick Bolasie in the penalty area in the first half of Chelsea’s 1-0 defeat at Selhurst Park and seemed to take the ball on first viewing, but replays later showed that Cahill went through the back of the Congo international without getting a foot on the ball legally. Referee Lee Mason didn’t deem that there was a foul, but Palace should have had the chance to score a goal before the eventual winner, which came from John Terry’s head.

In the same game, Jose Mourinho was very unhappy and frustrated at the speed at which a Palace ball boy took to return the ball to the field. Mourinho confronted the young lad, and was quoted as saying to him, in his post match press conference:

“I had a chance to get the kid and the kid was cute and I told him ‘you do this, one day somebody punches you.’”

I am surprised that he has escaped punishment for this. Mourinho left his technical area and used poor language, which would only make the young ball boy feel intimidated. Referee Lee Mason didn’t report this in his review of the game, but The FA should be able to act retrospectively on this. Mourinho was correct in thinking that the ball return was slow, but he would have probably been told, as would the rest of the ball boys, to slow the game down, where possible, which isn’t right.

About Andy Turnbull

Hi, I am Andy Turnbull from the UK. I am 19 years of age and a football enthusiast. I will be covering a range of subjects, specialising in key refereeing decisions from the Premier League. I am a referee myself at amateur level, so I hope you enjoy my articles. Follow me on twitter @AJT_1994.
View all posts by Andy Turnbull →

11 Responses to Reviewing Premier League Refereeing Decisions: Gameweek 32

1. CassanovaFrankenstein says:

There is some serious irony in Mourinho saying “you do this, one day somebody punches you”. Stay classless, Jose.

• Andy Turnbull says:

totally agree, let himself down on this one. The ballboy can’t be older than 14 or so. Unfair and intimidating. Should have been charged.

2. Flyvanescence says:

Going by this weekly column, one would think referees hate Man United.

Which is, of course, ridiculous.

3. Andy Turnbull says:

I don’t have an agenda when writing these articles. I simply write about what I’ve seen and have a view on it.

Not sure why you have come up with that point to be honest. More details needed for any sort of a case.

• ThompsonLives says:

More details? Do we need to comb through your weekly musings and come up with myriad examples of you either downplaying a United foul, or saying something committed against them was either unpunished or not punished to your liking? Because we can do that.

Your mistake was admitting you were a United fanboy. If you’d just withheld that fact, at least you’d maintain some deniability. But now you have no credibility, and many readers here know it.

• Andy Turnbull says:

Why should I hide my identity? I think you have an agenda against me to be honest and your thinking way to far into my opinions.

• ThompsonLives says:

*You’re*

*too*

My only agenda against you is the clear bias you bring to these articles. If you want to post a United piece, have at it. But check your fandom at the door for a piece like this.

I think The Gaffer is erring in letting you continue to write these refereeing critiques, and I’ve been reading and commenting on this site since you were tossing off to purloined copies of Nuts.

4. Brian says:

If Mata had completed his move, the ball would have been on his right foot – not a OGO (and I’m a MU fan)

5. Flyvanescence says:

On an unrelated note, babe in the third row behind the Mourinho incident. ;-)