Manchester United manager David Moyes has admitted that he passed up the opportunity to sign Mesut Ozil this past summer because he couldn’t find a way to find the German international into his squad.
“We weren’t close to buying him but something was mooted a little bit before that.
“We didn’t need that position at the time. I didn’t even say it was an interest, it was put to us and it was just something at the time we didn’t need.
“We we had Shinji Kagawa and Wayne Rooney and people of a similar ilk so it wasn’t quite what we required at that time. We were looking at different positions.”
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- David Moyes admits Manchester United passed up chance to sign Mesut Ozil before Arsenal switch — The Mirror
- 10 greatest goals from Manchester United vs. Arsenal clashes — Bleacher Report
- Manchester City’s David Silva sidelined for four weeks with calf problem — The Guardian
- Sergio Aguero and Alvaro Negredo better than Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge — MEN
- Former Real Madrid defender Aitor Karanka favourite for Crystal Palace job — The Guardian
- Brad Friedel backs Hugo Lloris decision after Everton concussion — Metro
- Swansea City concern over Ashley Williams’ ankle injury — BBC Sport
- The Arsenal of 1997-98 and now: how the sides measure up — The Guardian
- Sepp Blatter: Qatar World Cup in 2022 could be shared in Gulf — The Independent
- Real Madrid have reached a ‘first priority’ agreement with Borussia Dortmund for Ilkai Gündogan — Marca
- MLS’s worst nightmare comes true as its biggest stars get knocked out of playoffs — Business Insider
- Preview: Liga MX final weekend — FOX Soccer
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.