WED, 12PM ET
MAL0
JUV2
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV0
MON1

NBC Advertises Premier League Rivalries On New York City Subway [PHOTOS]

new york subway guide NBC Advertises Premier League Rivalries On New York City Subway [PHOTOS]

NBC Sports is continuing to promote its coverage of the upcoming Premier League season that kicks off on August 17. Its latest promotion effort is on the New York City subway where they’ve added wraps inside and outside of subway cars to promote two famous derbies in English soccer — Manchester City versus Manchester United, and Arsenal against Tottenham Hotspur.

Commuters who ride the Times Square Shuttle in New York City may have seen the promotions. On the Manchester-themed subway car, half of the car is emblazoned in red with the words “Keep Calm and Pick Man United,” while the other half is in blue and features the words “Keep Calm and Pick Man City.” Inside the car, half of it is themed in Manchester United colors, while the rest are in City colors.

ReadLiverpool FC subway car spotted in New York City [PHOTO]

man united man city subway wrap 600x395 NBC Advertises Premier League Rivalries On New York City Subway [PHOTOS]

You can see the Arsenal and Tottenham subway car below where commuters entering the subway car are faced with either sitting in the red section (Arsenal) or the blue section (Spurs). On the roof of the car, it reads “Keep Calm and Pick A Side.” Even the seats have the club crests, so you can literally pick a side.

arsenal spurs subway wrap 600x449 NBC Advertises Premier League Rivalries On New York City Subway [PHOTOS]

arsenal subway car 600x448 NBC Advertises Premier League Rivalries On New York City Subway [PHOTOS]

tottenham subway car hor 600x450 NBC Advertises Premier League Rivalries On New York City Subway [PHOTOS]

tottenham subway car vert 600x800 NBC Advertises Premier League Rivalries On New York City Subway [PHOTOS]

As someone who has worked in marketing for 16 years, this is an absolutely brilliant marketing promotion. Even if I wasn’t a soccer fan, I’d be impressed with this. Congratulations to NBC Sports on a well thought out campaign to get the word out to commuters in New York (and now the rest of the country) that the Premier League is coming!

Here’s everything you need to know about NBC’s coverage of the Premier League. Plus, watch all of the promotional videos NBC Sports has released and here’s a photo of the Premier League billboard NBC posted in Times Square.

manchester united subway 600x450 NBC Advertises Premier League Rivalries On New York City Subway [PHOTOS]

arsenal subway 600x381 NBC Advertises Premier League Rivalries On New York City Subway [PHOTOS]

25 Responses to NBC Advertises Premier League Rivalries On New York City Subway [PHOTOS]

1. eddymc2 says:

Pretty cool! Can someone pass the message to the CTA?

2. Fernando says:

That is fantastic, over the top, but still fantastic.

3. Clampdown says:

Very cool.

But what on earth is that subway map at the top with the wrong colors and listing of trains stopping at stations at which they do not stop?

• Christopher Harris says:

Just a generic photo that has nothing to do with NBC.

• Coachie Ballgames says:

The map is correct, it’s just from the 70s when New York’s lines had different colors and names.

• Clampdown says:

Really? I’ve lived in and around NYC since I was born (44 years ago). I’ve seen some older maps, but this just looks off. I’m due for a trip to the Transit Museum, anyway. I’ll see if I can spot it there.

• brendan says:

That’s the classic 1970s NYC subway map designed by Massimo Vignelli. That’s the map I used to learn my way around on the subways as a kid. I’m a few years older than you, though.

4. MNUfan1991 says:

I have a sudden urge to go vandalize a Man City car.
    If arrested, I can always blame it on 9/11.

5. Evan says:

Was in New York recently. Too bad I missed this!

6. Sam says:

Are you kidding? These are quite clearly fake. You only have to have used Microsoft Paint about a dozen times to realise that.

Or am I missing a joke? I re-read the article, and it definitely doesn’t suggest anything other than these photos being real.

Absolutely ridiculous.

• Christopher Harris says:

Hopefully you’re joking. But the photos are real.

• Sam says:

Cmon, you’re kidding right?

They are very clearly not real. There’s no perspective definition on the second image, and you can see alongside the pillar in the first image where the image has been superimposed as there is a slight gap.

FML.

• Christopher Harris says:

Sorry, I thought you were joking.

The photographs are real. I spoke to someone yesterday who said he saw the wraps in the New York Subway, and I confirmed with NBC Sports that this is part of their promotion for the league. The photos are from NBC Sports.

The gap you see is one of the white poles that’s in the shot.

• jamieru says:

They might be fake now, but they are going to be real. Or, they are real currently but the images they are using are photoshopped. It’s pretty much how advertising works now; you get good stock images then you put the art on digitally to mock the lock because having these affixed to train cars THEN shot by a professional photographer empty (which they’d never be) is considerably more expensive.

Open any magazine and look at the products, everything looks ‘fake’, that doesn’t mean those aren’t real products.

• FreddyFreak says:

Troll.

• brian says:

Definitely a photoshop mock-up of what the cars will/do look like.

• SirJonesy says:

This is not fake. This is the S train in New York.

7. Dean Stell says:

Very cool!

8. Frill Artist says:

For a second, I thought the blue train was painted with sh*t.

9. 2nd Generation Blue says:

The photo’s are clearly fake, but the cars will look fantastic. What a great promotion!

10. DiscoBallsDeep says:

As someone born in NJ, and lived in Brooklyn for 8 years….this is fing awesome. As an American who loves international football, if this doesn’t make a statement as to how far the game has come, I don’t know what does.

f yeah.

d.

11. Chris says:

Well coool and good promoting. But I am not a fan of the so called pick a team and follow. I mean. That seems to be the American way but there will be no connection at all to a team or anything when a person thats new to a football will watch the EPL this year. They want you to just a pick team cause you like the club crest or something. That is just all wierd to me. Whats wrong with just enjoying the league and watching all games ? Maybe that could make a person want live in England and actually go to England then properly support a club ?