Shocking Footage of Fights Between USA and El Salvador Fans In Gold Cup [VIDEO]

us soccer dont tread on me Shocking Footage of Fights Between USA and El Salvador Fans In Gold Cup [VIDEO]

Video footage has been posted on the Internet that shows shocking footage of fights that happened during the USA against El Salvador match in the CONCACAF Gold Cup match that was played in Baltimore on Sunday night.

World Soccer Talk’s Morgan Green reported yesterday that there were a multitude of fights both inside and outside of M&T Bank Stadium.

Green wrote:

“As I met back up with [my friend] Jim for the post game press conferences, he informed me that there were multiple fights outside of the stadium as well as inside. He had spoken to the head of security at the stadium who said they had tripled the amount of security and it still was barely enough to handle what was going on.”

As you can be seen in the footage, which is very concerning to soccer fans who want the sport to grow in this country, where were the stewards, security and police officers? And why weren’t they able to respond more quickly to this disturbance where some of these fans were using belts? I think it’s high time that CONCACAF and the US Soccer Federation looks into employing more security and better training them to help prevent these type of unfortunate skirmishes.

H/T 101GG.

37 Responses to Shocking Footage of Fights Between USA and El Salvador Fans In Gold Cup [VIDEO]

1. christian says:

Gaffer, it’s like this in New York as well. These stadiums don’t provide enough security for football as they see it as on ‘off event’. I always feel uneasy going to matches because you never see enough security around.

2. Harry Cee says:

Well…uuhh this fight DID take place in the nosebleed seats so…uuuuhhhh.

• Christopher Harris says:

So what? That’s no excuse not to have security in each section of the stadium.

• Harry Cee says:

I was being facetious. But I must say that 2 years back when the Gold Cup was in DC, there was hardly any security during the USA v Jamaica match, but in the El Salvador v Panama I did note that the security increased exponentially. And to the author or whomever took the video…the time taken to film this footage was time that you or someone nearby could have spent FINDING security.

• Jersey says:

He was making a joke. “Nosebleed.” Get it?

• Michael says:

Of course, we’re talking about Baltimore, a rough city even when walking down the street.

This wouldn’t have been a problem in Seattle or Kansas City. The USSF and CONCACAF want the money from the Salvadoran community out there, and this is what happens.

• hanoverboxer says:

Those Salvadorans don’t live in Baltimore. They came up from DC.

• Eric says:

I take offense to this being from Baltimore. Obviously we have some rough areas but around the stadiums and Inner Harbor is very safe, even at night. One bad incident between a few select fans should not be categorized as the entire city. It could happen and does happen just about anywhere fans from opposing countries watch a match, especially if alcohol is involved.
        As for CONCACAF putting the game in a city like Baltimore, it gives people of other nationalities the opportunity to see their countries play without having to travel across the country. Just outside of DC is the largest population of El Salvadorans in the country. Why not have a match here when the only two countries to ever host the Gold Cup are the USA and Mexico?

• Foxy_Woxy says:

Please. I live in SF and I was treated to the sight of two men kicking another in the head right in plain daylight yesterday. Has really nowt to do with location and more with aggro stupidity.

• gbewing says:

somebody saw too many episodes of The Wire

• RJ says:

I got the joke.

3. John K says:

This behavior is nothing new at US matches.

The last game I went to littered with fights was the 2010 WC send off friendly vs Turkey in Philly, after the match there were a number of Yank fans intimidating groups of Turkish folks in the parking lot and fights breaking out.

I went to the USA v Mex WCQ in 2009 and made the mistake of sitting in the Mexican section and when I put my American flag next to a woman who had some sign up a couple Mexicans came down and threatened me.

Heightened security would be good, but your never going to see the type of security measures you have overseas at US venues.

• Harry Cee says:

Nothing new at US matches…?
      (for one if you are in Philly you can expect to see a few fights but that’s besides the point). There are plenty of places globally where fights break out during matches so to a degree, I don’t even know why this was declared ‘shocking’. And again we have 1 minute’s worth of footage where we don’t know how long it actually took for someone to get up there. Let’s be honest people, you can’t expect security to be right on the spot when the first punch was thrown but they will get there if needed. I say again, if someone can take the time to record this, they could take the time to find security.

• John K says:

Yes, nothing new at all. It seems like we were making the same point? I don’t see why this is shocking or even cause for such a big concern.

• krazymunky says:

I was at the 2011 Gold Cup final USA vs Mexico at the Rosebowl.

It was actually safer to be sitting in a sea of mexicans compared to being with a large group of americans. We did not have bottles thrown at our small group of 4 americans. (there was a fight in the row infront of us between mexican fans though)

Security was non existent at that game. It was ‘Elite’ security and most of them were not trained and had no idea what to do.

4. Cody says:

Heightened Security? Please. That is going to cost money. Don’t for one second think that cost isn’t going to get shoved down the line directly to ticket prices. Tickets for the upper deck seats at these games are already too expensive.

2 Reasonable alternatives would be that our fans be more mature, and more importantly that there is a clear separation of seating for opposing fans.

• Christopher Harris says:

For the amount of profit that the soccer federations generate from these matches, they can afford to increase security and keep ticket prices the same if they really wanted to. If they don’t do anything, they risk declining ticket sales.

• John K says:

I agree the best solution is a more defined separation of fans. One thing I notice in this video, is that the guys in the USA kits and the El Salvadorians are both of seemingly latin backgrounds, and Baltimore is currently dealing with a serious latin gang problem. I don’t think this one video should be cause for alarmist reactions. But I do think its good to discuss, especially since the game is growing and we want to avoid the type of violence that can happen at international matches.

• hanoverboxer says:

I’m from Baltimore, and I’ve never heard of any “latin gang problem” there. Baltimore doesn’t even have many Hispanics, its overwhelmingly native African-American.

5. Sed says:

I was at the Gold Cup match in Hartford, sitting in the end across the field from the AO section. It was a pretty good mix of supporters from both sides. I saw a fight nearly break out when a clearly drunk US supporter called one of the Costa Rica supporters “Pedro” and slurred some other such nonsense at him. Fortunately, I think that the fact that most of the crowd – supporters on both sides – jumped to the defense of the Costa Rica supporter helped to avert a fight. It was a real shame. There was plenty of banter before and after the incident, but it was all good-natured and supporters for both sides had a good time. It just sucks that there are always some clowns who don’t know how to behave.

6. Alan Llanes says:

I was there seated in the club level which was significantly more docile then what you could look up an see in the upper deck. The problem here was not just a security issue but an issue of the type of people the support teams like El Salvador. I am Nicaraguan/American, with Central American heritage just like these fans, the problem is that a large majority of that fan base is simply latin TRASH they are disrespectful people with no concept of what it is to live in a civilized manner and behave in a civilized way in public places. Add the fuel of a 5-1 loss to the fire and all hell breaks loose. This may come off as racist but as a latino and american. I can say that they are, what they are, disgusting 3rd world trash. My parents were the first to warn me “Don’t tangle with those Salvadorans, they will cut you quick”, that coming from 2 Nicaraguan born American citizens in their 60′s. Behavior like this gives the rest of the Latin American world a terrible name. The only real way I can see to alleviate these problems is to clearly separate supporters on opposite sides of the field and in this case, sell tickets to each game separately. I met and spoke with Honduran and Costa Rican fans who were very nice and very respectful, in fact they were cheering for the U.S. They were being hassled by a Salvadoran population who was beer fueled and angry that their beloved team is miles apart on the pitch than their opponents. I just hope this doesn’t have a big bearing on future games coming to Baltimore because are facility is gorgeous and perfect for games like this. Unfortunately you can’t always pick your opponent and in this case one country showed it’s true colors in the face of defeat.

7. Gus says:

The abomination that was Gus’ commentary on Fox sent the fans into a rage. This is clearly the cause.

8. Dean Stell says:

The thing I see in these videos is that the fans shouldn’t be all mixed up. There should be a defined seating for each group and some way to make it less convenient for the troublemakers to bother people.

I don’t understand why with all these fancy-internet based ticket systems they can’t ask, “What country do you support?” and then fill in parts of the stadium as people buy tickets.

Not to mention that it is way more fun to sit with your own fans at a game. Nobody likes having to worry about whether the drunk dude cheering the other team might start a fight with you or whether you are cheering too loudly and offending some drunk guy.

• IanCransonsKnees says:

It happens over here Dean. That said when I was securing seats for European away games it was easy enough to book tickets and sit amongst the home fans.

Does it kick off at other sporting events in the US? I’m guessing not at league games but assuming possibly at internationals because of the melting pot of cultures?

• Dean Stell says:

I guess there are stray incidents of violence at sporting events, but they’re pretty rare. I’m not sure why that is.

9. rkujay says:

Instant A**hole…Just add beer.

• Wigglesworth81 says:

Here in the States it is unfortunate that the trend is to get rip roaring drunk to enjoy a sporting event. The same minority audience does so at the pub and it is embaressing to see a fellow supporter act as such.

10. Jersey says:

I’ve never been to a match featuring the Salvadoran side, but I’ve been around in DC immediately after one, a few years (?) ago now. Was unimpressed with the supporters’ behavior enough to feel safer taking a cab instead of Metro home.

11. jamieru says:

About time we American’s get into proper football hooliganism.

Obviously kidding.

12. John Kelly says:

Disgusting
    Pathetic

13. Brian says:

I was at the game in the US supporters section. The utter lack of security was astounding. There was a cop “pointer” down on the field that was using a walkie talkie to point out “issues”. That has to change.

The other thing that strikes me as odd is that MS-13 (ES gang) is a major issue down in DC (and around the country for that matter) and El Salvadoran games should have heightened security.

Fights we saw in our section:

*We saw an intoxicated ES fan charge some guys above us, and he got popped in the chin. Luckily he had a glass jaw, and sat down quickly.

*There was also another fight that they got security to eject some ES rabble rousers earlier in the game, but we didn’t see who started it.

*There was a third fight involving and ES woman that the security was pinning against a wall.

More security for these games please.

Also, there is no honor in hitting someone from behind. None. Cowards…

14. Johhny FOotball says:

All Salvadorians are MS-13 gang members. ALL!!

15. Mufc77 says:

These little boys wouldn’t last 5 min at a match in the UK acting like that. You have to be a real idiot to stand and throw punches at someone who’s in a elevated position and at the 30 second mark you see why.

Anyway until both sets of fans are seated in different areas you’re unfortunately going to see more of this stuff.

16. Wongo1 says:

Sorry but was that a fight, lmfao!! I remember being at OT in 1983 now that was some fighting!!