Liverpool have rejected a £30million bid for Luis Suarez from Arsenal, according to The Telegraph newspaper.
Reliable Merseyside reporter Chris Bascombe reveals that Arsenal made direct contact with Liverpool last week, but the club insisted that Suarez is not for sale and dismissed the bid from the Gunners.
According to Bascombe,
“It remains to be seen if Arsenal plan to improve their offer. If they increase a bid to £40 million, Suárez could seek permission to speak to Arsène Wenger. The conspiracy theory might suggest Arsenal made their move to nudge Real Madrid, who have been focusing on Suárez, into completing negotiations with the London club for Gonzalo Higuaín.
“It may be no coincidence that in the days since Arsenal’s bid for Suárez, Higuaín’s move to London has edged closer. Their bid also explains why there was a flurry of bets on Suárez joining Arsenal last week, prompting some bookmakers to suspend the betting.”
The reporter adds that there is speculation that Chelsea may also be interested in mounting a bid for the Uruguayan striker Suarez.
If the reports are true that Arsenal put in a bid for Suarez, do you think the Gunners should attempt to place a higher bid? If a bid is accepted, can you foresee Suarez fitting into the system at Arsenal? And can you see Suarez signing for another Premier League if Real Madrid isn’t interested? Share your opinions in the comments section below.
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- Arsenal rebuffed after audacious £30m offer for Liverpool striker Luis Suárez — The Telegraph
- Wigan agree fee with Norwich for striker Grant Holt — Sky Sports
- Liverpool agree to sell Jay Spearing to Blackburn for £1.5million — The Mirror
- Swansea close in on record deal for Vitesse Arnhem and Ivory Coast striker Wilfried Bony — Evening Post
- Manchester United’s Paul Scholes turns down chance to join David Moyes’ staff — Sky Sports
- Liverpool bid €9m for 21-year-old Verona midfielder Jorginho — 101 Great Goals
- Álvaro Negredo would fit nicely at Eastlands, provided Sevilla, Man City can strike a deal — Pro Soccer Talk
- Monaco sign midfielder Jeremy Toulalan — FOX Soccer
Major League Soccer
- Players announced for 2013 MLS All-Star Fan XI team — MLS Soccer
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.