SUN, 8:30AM ET
LAG1
SEA0
MON, 3PM ET
AST
SOU

Liverpool vs Tottenham Hotspur, Friendly: Open Thread

spurs liverpool baltimore 600x450 Liverpool vs Tottenham Hotspur, Friendly: Open Thread

Hello, Baltimore! This fine city along the tidal portion of the Patapsco River, in the great state of Maryland will be the unlikely host today to one of the biggest friendlies of this summer’s US tour among foreign clubs, where Liverpool plays Tottenham Hotspur in front of a packed house at the M&T Stadium.

For viewers in the United States, the match kicks off at 1pm ET on ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/ESPN3.com.

EPL Talk’s Morgan Green and Earl Reed will be at the stadium covering the game for EPL Talk, so be sure to follow Morgan Green and Earl Reed on Twitter for additional updates throughout the afternoon. On top of that, if you’re an Instagram user, you can follow Morgan Green and Earl Reed on Instagram for photos before, during and after today’s match. While Morgan and Earl will be in the press box, EPL Talk blogger Harry Cee will be in the crowd to get a fan’s perspective.

Plus, after the match, listen to Morgan Green being interviewed on radio station WBAL, giving his perspective and analysis on the match. You can listen live on the radio or listen live online beginning at 2:30pm ET.

As for the match itself, we’re expecting Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers to play more of his first team players that he has in the preceding two friendlies. It’s Liverpool last match of their North American tour, so it’s the perfect opportunity to give the Reds a big send off before they head back to England. Liverpool has yet to win a friendly on their North American tour, so it’ll be vitally important for a good showing today against a Tottenham Hotspur side also looking for their first win on American soil this summer. After all of the controversy surrounding Gareth Bale starring for Tottenham against LA Galaxy last weekend, today is a good opportunity for Andre Villas-Boas to give some playing time to fringe players who may end up making his team for their first match of the season in a few weeks.

Tottenham Hotspur: Friedel; Assou-Ekotto, Gallas, Kaboul, Naughton; Jenas, Livermore; Bale, Sigurdsson, Lennon; Kane

Liverpool: Jones; Enrique, Skrtel, Carragher, Flanagan; Spearing, Adam, Shelvey; Downing, Morgan, Cole

Note: Fabio Borini starts on the bench for Liverpool, but expect him to see some playing time in the second half.

Before, during and after today’s match, post your rants, raves, questions and observations in the comments section below. Follow along with the game and banter, no matter whether you’re at the stadium, watching it on TV or if you’re at work.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Liverpool vs Tottenham Hotspur, Friendly: Open Thread

1. Craig says:

This is Liverpool’s last friendly game before their Europa League game next Thursday so I think that Rodgers will use the players he expects to play on Thursday. That means they should be stronger than the ones that have played on tour so far.

As for Spurs it will be interesting to see of Bale plays after all the controversy of him playing for his club but not being available for Great Britain. Also of interest will be former Swansea midfielder Sigi playing for Spurs against the club he shunned in favor of Spurs.

2. Andyb says:

Bale’s playing so it look like I’m going to have to double up on my sport watching. Olympics on the tv + Spurs on the laptop!! Come on uuuuu Baleeeeeee show gb what they’re missing.

3. Alex Wolcott says:

Brad Friedel in net! Big up to a guy that I played youth soccer with in Bay Village, Ohio WAAAAAY back when.

4. Dust says:

Kane upfront should be interesting….why the American anthem before the friendly between 2 English clubs?

5. Dust says:

The heat means this will lows slow game

6. jtm371 says:

is Kelly on team GB? have not seen him in the preseason.

7. Dust says:

Dirty Charlie adam

• Clampdown says:

I don’t think he intends to be dirty. He is just really slow and doesn’t seem to be the brightest bulb in the pack. It looked like he stepped on Bale’s foot and not much more. Dumb challenge, but Bale made a real show of it and was able to play afterward.

After spending so much on the train to get down there and then sit through that match in the 100 degree heat, I’d reconsider that trip again. I was hoping to get more of an idea of who would be regular starters for Liverpool in a couple of weeks (other than the obvious), and instead we saw a lot of players who probably will play in the reserves yet again.

However, I would do a Boston trip again. The atmosphere, weather, and venue were all amazing.

• Howard says:

When I first saw Charlie Adam with Blackpool, I thought he was just a tough player. The more I’ve seen of him, I agree–he’s quite dirty. That tackle on Gareth Bale in a friendly is ridiculous and very dangerous. That’s twice now he’s taken out Gareth Bale. What’s his problem? Hope he remembers–what goes around, comes around.

8. John says:

COYS. We need Sandro. Na Levada Do Pan

9. cnl. onions says:

Kind of a waste of time. Drew under 40k, way too hot, lfc in black, game too early in the day, and a piss poor pitch. I understand the desire to draw in people lower on the East Coast, but maybe NYC would’ve been a better idea. Guess it was hard to get the schedules together. Geez, I sound like a moaner. Sorry!

10. Harry Cee says:

actually attendance was 47,000.

It was hot but we had a breeze.

Plus we play American football and baseball in this weather so we are used to this.

One game down…one to go…time to eat recharge and go to DC United v PSG

• REDblooded American says:

Sorry we missed you at the pub. I am SURE I saw you at the stadium but by the time I grabbed my hubby and turned back, you were long gone :(

WOW it was hot, but we had a great time. Hubby spent a good part of the game in the cool hallway watching for the Tigers score but brought me cool treats so I didn’t have to miss a minute of the action. AND he hasn’t even made any rude comments about the 0-0 score. So maybe what you all have taught me and I’ve been passing along has helped make him, if not a footy fan, at least no longer anti-footy. bwahaha

11. Jason says:

I was at the game and it was a great crowd for Liverpool but why did they wear black?

• Clampdown says:

Good job, Harry. Two matches in that heat and humidity is admirable. I couldn’t wait to get into an air conditioned pub after the match in Baltimore.

12. Nooblior says:

I had a good time at the match. It was pretty hot but nothing too unbearable.

13. Howard says:

I and family at the game–not very good. Spurs missing many first-team players (Parker, Sandro, Van der Vaart, Defoe, Modric, and (an assumption) Adebeyor. Excessive heat and very slow turf were a real detriment to the game.

On the positive, both sides played all players available. Nice to see Gerrard play, even though I’m a long time Spurs fan (since 1969). Crowd, at least where I sat, was very cordial. Supporters from both sides (and a few others). Kudos to the fans–close to 43,000 of them. This can only help in bringing more EPL teams over here in the future.

• The Gaffer says:

To be fair, Tottenham has been playing more first-team players than many other Premier League clubs this preseason.

Parker — Injured,
      Sando — Playing in Olympics,
      Van der Vaart — Injured,
      Defoe — Returned to England due to the death of his cousin,
      Modric — On his way to Real Madrid,
      Adebayor — Still a Manchester City player; his loan to Spurs has ended.