A move for Ajax centre-back Jan Vertonghen has been agreed with Tottenham Hotspur, and the Ajax captain is now just a medical and signature away from officially being a Tottenham Hotspur footballer. The on-again off-again race to sign Vertonghen, who was Ajax captain, appears to be over, which is wonderful news for Tottenham supporters given the recent signing of Gylfi Sigurddson from Hoffenheim as well as new manager Andre Villas-Boas at the helm.
Meanwhile, over at Arsenal, they look set to lose their star striker and there hasn’t been much talk of new players being added now that Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud have signed.
Here are the top Premier League news headlines of the day:
- Jan Vertonghen move agreed from Ajax to Tottenham — Tottenham Hotspur FC
- Ryan Giggs to captain GB Olympic football team — The Guardian
- John Terry trial over Anton Ferdinand race row starts on Monday — The Daily Mail
- Roberto Di Matteo: Fernando Torres not guaranteed to start for Chelsea — The Guardian
- Luuk De Jong has blasted FC Twente for trying to price him out of a move away from the club — Sky Sports
- Senegal omit Newcastle’s Papiss Cisse from their Olympic squad but include West Ham’s Mohamed Diame — BBC Sport