MON, 3PM ET
TUES, 2:45PM ET
BAR
AJA
TUES, 2:45PM ET
SCH
SPC

alex mcleish2 Aston Villa Sacks Manager Alex McLeish; Will Randy Lerner Try Again For Roberto Martinez?

Alex McLeish has been sacked as manager of Aston Villa Football Club.

“The club has been disappointed with this season’s results, performances and the general message these have sent to our fans,” said a club statement. “The board wishes to assure supporters that we are conscious in every sense that Villa expects and deserves more and we will strive to deliver this. The most immediate action that we can take is to look carefully at our options in terms of bringing in a new manager who sees the club’s potential and embraces our collective expectations.”

The decision by Aston Villa comes just one day after Aston Villa finished just two points above relegation. By Aston Villa’s standards, this was a woeful season where the club failed to display the attacking football and positive results that Villa supporters are accustomed to seeing.

What makes matters worse is that the 2011-12 Premier League season was a wasted one for Villa. Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner made the controversial decision to pick McLeish after Martin O’Neill quit the Villa job last summer. It was a move by Lerner that very few people approved of, given the dour brand of football that McLeish’s teams are known to play. Plus, McLeish’s Birmingham City had just been relegated from the Premier League.

Overall, it was an abysmal decision by Lerner.

Hopefully Randy Lerner will have learned from his mistakes and will find a manager who prefers to play a more positive brand of football. Two names that jump to mind are Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers and Wigan boss Roberto Martinez. Last summer, Lerner tried to convince Martinez to join Villa from Wigan, but Martinez decided to stay at the Latics. If Lerner is willing to try to convince Martinez to join the club and is willing to increase the amount of compensation that Wigan and Martinez would expect, it may be an offer too good to pass up for Roberto Martinez who is one of the rising managers in British football.

What do you think? Who would you like to see as the next Aston Villa manager? Give us your suggestions and reasons why below.

This entry was posted in Aston Villa, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Aston Villa Sacks Manager Alex McLeish; Will Randy Lerner Try Again For Roberto Martinez?

1. Buster42 says:

Lets knock the ‘Coyle, McCarthy, Bruce, Curbishley’ rumors on the head now. Randy is once bitten.
    Bookies have quit taking bets on Martinez, which I do approve of. He does play some good football, but hasn’t quite had the consistency in a Wigan squad to do better with. AVB has been mentioned, but I don’t think we can afford his wages, although he could work well with our youngsters, of which we have plenty. Benitez, yes, but again, too high a wage demand. Pep is 66/1 and I’m dreaming.
    I’d like to see a Rodgers/Lambert/Hughton because of how well they can work with wage bills, and players from the Championship.

2. omakbob says:

Hopefully, whoever brought up McLeish’s name last year is no longer allowed to speak.

“pick McLeish after Martin O’Neill quit the Villa job last summer”. I see what you did there. lol

3. dust says:

Maybe I’m just cuckoo for coacoa pops but I think Holloway would be a good choice. If West Ham go up that is. I think the browns owner will be aiming for Rodgers tho, Swansea have a task on their hands keeping Rodgers, if they do this season then I would expect him to definitely be gone at the end of next season.

• The Gaffer says:

Paul Lambert is the other contender who would be a good fit for the Villa job, in my opinion.

• dust says:

Yeah, I just can’t see Norwich letting lambert go after only 1 season in the perm. If Norwich stay up next year comfortably then he may go. what about bob bradley? or bruce arena?

• Patrick says:

I hope Paul Lambert stays at Carrow Road…at least for one more season.

• Brn442 says:

Gaffer, unless Lambert is promised a mountian of cash (both in his pocket and in the transfer kitty) he is better off stayting at Norwich.

I have no idea what Lerner was thinking hiring the ex-Birmingham manager – both the football and the results were predictably awful. It was clear he could not take the club forward.

If Lerner wants to be bold – he should give either Bruce Arena or Bob Bradley a shot. Villa needs youth, energy, and fitness – something American coaches are good at.

4. Paul says:

If Martinez doesn’t stay at Wigan I think a move to Villa would be great for him to prove his worth. I’d much rather he went there instead of coming to Anfield as current reports are suggesting.

• dust says:

kenny on his way out? I thought he had the full support of the board?

• Paul says:

Personally I think they’ll give him until January to see if he has a good start to the season but the papers here yesterday were running full back page “MARTINEZ IN KOP SHOCKER” headlines. I’ve learnt over the yeas never to believe the hype until it’s official so as it stands Kenny is the man for the job until were officially told otherwise.

• dust says:

Do you think he should stay until jan? he’s had his big players for a year and a half and just finished below Everton. who would you have instead?

• Paul says:

Looks like he’s gone. Statement expected soon but club refusing to comment at the moment. Still speculation at the moment but the bookies have all followed suit and all bets on Kenny being Liverpool manager have been suspended.

Benitez hot favourite.

5. dust says:

With the coaching carousel starting to spin and play music. I have a thought, if harry stays and doesn’t win anything next year, I expect him to be gone and then Rodgers (fingers crossed) will come to WHL after proving himself for a second year.

Chasing top four for UCL league isn’t good enough, I want to win a league title, the rest will take care of itself. I expect more ‘array!

6. RobKey says:

I would hope that we get Rodgers or Martinez.

7. Neil says:

Brendan Rodgers for me. I am resigned to the fact that we don’t have the money to compete for trophies, so at least let’s see some attactive football at Villa Park.

8. Alex Wolcott says:

If you know anything about American football, the performance of Lerner’s Cleveland Browns would tend to indicate that “abysmal” decisions by this guy are fairly well par for the course.

9. JC says:

Thank goodness McLeish is gone. His style of football is a plague to all fans of the game.

10. James says:

“Villa owner Randy Lerner made the controversial decision to pick McLeish after Martin O’Neill quit the Villa job last summer.”

Actually, O’Neill left two summers ago, and Houllier came in as his replacement. So McLeish was actually Villa’s third manager in as many seasons.

I agree with the Gaffer that Paul Lambert should be high up on Lerner’s wishlist. He has done a fantastic job at Norwich (with virtually no money to spend on improving a squad largely assembled in League One) and is known to be very ambitious. I know some people are questioning why he’d leave to join Villa, but realistically, he has probably taken Norwich as far as he can and – no disrespect to the Canaries – but Villa are much bigger club, and a great stepping-stone to the top tier jobs at United, Arsenal etc