FRI, 2:30PM ET
SAT, 10AM ET
MUFC
HULL
SAT, 10AM ET
SWA
CRY

How Will You Experience the Final Day of the Premier League Season?

tv overload How Will You Experience the Final Day of the Premier League Season?

The Premier League is a long, arduous marathon of a season, spanning nine months out of the year. The seemingly endless stream of matches is only interrupted by the agonizingly painful international breaks and the brief summer sojourn, which is often filled by international tournaments, preseason friendlies and plenty of transfer news. It is a 24/7 league, 365 days a year. Never does a day go by where there is no Premier League news to tell. It is a lovely beast.

So, here we are, at the sunset of another season. A beautiful one that has been filled with so many unpredictable stories, both on and off the pitch. All we have left to savor is 90 minutes of agony and ecstasy as we indulge ourselves in ten live matches played before our eyes, all at once. Strangely, Premier League season finales leave me saddened because they’re over too quickly. While a typical Premier League weekend spans from a near dawn kickoff on a Saturday morning, where my body clock automatically wakes me up for my weekly trip to Starbucks for a cup of tea, with enough time to rush back for the ESPN2 broadcast. That takes me all the way through to Sunday, and sometimes even a Monday. But for this Premier League Survival Sunday, or whatever you want to call it, it ends too quickly. And with so many matches all at once, and so many highs and lows, the time goes by even more quickly. I love it, but then it’s over. Just like that.

This one will be quite a ride. It’ll be the first time when all ten final matches will be shown live. If memory serves me correctly, we’ve been able to watch most of the matches on the final day for the past two years, but there were often a few of them that weren’t shown live. And only on replay afterwards. But what’s the point in watching them then?

To me, there’s nothing else like the final day of a Premier League season. It’s one of those bizarre days where everyone — from the players, managers and supporters in the grounds — have their minds in two or more places. All of them are watching or playing the game in front of them, but they’re also paying attention to what’s happening in the other games. Hearing wild cheers from the crowd as news comes in via mobile phones and portable radios that a goal has been scored in a different part of the country is a bizarre phenomenon. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for footballers to concentrate on the game at hand.

And then there’s the mad English football fans like us who are watching the games on television and the Internet, trying to act like mission control where our eyes are darting back and forth across the screens, as we watch all of the permutations that happen before our eyes. Or some of us may choose to watch one match with in-game highlights featured in it. Or  some of us may try different strategies altogether.

Personally, I haven’t figured out what my strategy is going to be quite yet. I definitely want to see the Swansea against Liverpool match, for personal reasons, but for one of the first times this season, I may have to skip giving it my full attention to pay attention to the several matches that are of higher importance on Sunday.

For some of us, our Sunday may be free to plan as we see fit. But I know for many of us, there are “minefields” in the way such as Mother’s Day obligations (no wonder the Brits have their Mother’s Day in March, not May), as well as Sunday morning church services, etcetera. Luckily, Mrs Gaffer realizes the importance of the day, so I have the morning to immerse myself in Premier League football before I rush off to meet her for a Mother’s Day lunch afterwards.

What about you? What are your plans for the final day of the Premier League season? Will you be watching it at home, at the pub or on the road? Share your stories in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to How Will You Experience the Final Day of the Premier League Season?

1. Ahmed Yussuf says:

I’ll be staying up on a early Monday morning watching the final day. Cannot contain my excitement and fear, so much to gain and equally so much to loose. But isn’t that why we love this sport called football?

2. Eplnfl says:

Driving I am out early. Which game should I dvr? I do have Fox Soccer 2 Go. So I can watch later but it’s not the same.

3. huhe888 says:

Easy.

Sunderland vs Man Utd on FX via satellite.

Man City vs QPR via ESPN3.com streaming.

With all the score updates and live cut-ins (of Stoke vs Bolton among others), I am completely covered as far as the title race and relegation are concerned.

• The Gaffer says:

Huhe, I think that’s a wise plan if someone wants to follow who will win the Premier League title, but others may be more interested in watching the relegation battle to see who stays up — Bolton Wanderers or Stoke City. Others may want to follow the race for third and fourth. Others may want to see who will finish above each other — Everton or Liverpool. Or to watch their favorite club play on the last day of the season.

I have a feeling I’m going to be switching around quite a bit depending on how the games unfold. If Manchester City scores a couple of early goals, I will probably switch my attention to Spurs vs Fulham, and West Brom vs Arsenal. If Arsenal is winning that one easily, I may switch to Swansea vs Liverpool to see the Swans play their last home game of the season in front of a party atmosphere with all of the fans dressed up as Elvis.

I have a feeling I will be hopping all over the place tomorrow!

• The Gaffer says:

Another thought for how to best enjoy the season finale. Since eight of the 10 games are going to be shown on FOX Soccer 2Go, I can watch one of the games and then set the game alerts so I will get alerted on-screen whenever a goal goes in. That may be faster and more comprehensive than FX’s coverage which will only show in-game highlights of “all the goals that matter.”

Then, I can have ESPN3.com on the same laptop for Manchester City vs QPR, and Spurs against Fulham on my flat-screen TV.

I think that’s my plan for tomorrow. It’s subject to change depending what happens in tomorrow’s matches.

4. IanCransonsKnees says:

I shall be taking me seat at the Britannia Stadium to see if we role over for Bolton, or do QPR a favour. To be honest I think Bolton will win (Stoke have been on teh beach since February), QPR need to play the game of their lives to come anywhere near a point.

It’s been a funny season. I’ve experienced European football, both home and away, which I never ever thought possible. Yet we have regressed in performance, which I can only put down to squad size, number of games played and a manager who find a square peg to put in a round hole even if he has an abundance of round pegs!

Anyone got any tips on which of our three tour games I should take in, Ohio, Kansas or Orlando? There are rumours about a game in Costa Rica though which sounds much more exotic and a bit more of an adventure.

• jtm371 says:

if they play in Costa Rica then go if not pick Orlando much better choice then Columbus Ohio or Kansas.never liked what Coyle did to Burnley so hope Bolton goes down.Thanks for your on the scene reports this year hope you come back next year.enjoy and have a pint for me.Cheers!

• Guy says:

Surprised you didn’t catch The Gaffer’s little gaff. “….the relegation battle to see who stays up—Bolton Wanderers or Stoke City.” Does Tony know? ;-)

5. Why? says:

I’ll be in my seat a the Etihad Stadium where I will hopefully get to see the league trophy being lifted for the first time in my life!

6. Jack Tomczuk says:

I’m still angry that Arsenal vs West Brom will not be shown live on television in Philadelphia. The only benefit of the game only being available online is that I will be able to put on ESPN2 on the TV and check on the title race while I’m watching the Gunners. If Arsenal are not ahead and the second half has started, I may be forced to put on the Spurs vs Fulham match, but I’d like to avoid that.

Also, perhaps you need to look at the bright side Gaffer. The agonizing summer break will include Euro 2012, which should be a very interesting tournament with a high quality of football on display. And then August will be here before we know it!

7. Patrick Starr says:

Unfortunately my uncles wedding is this weekend in vegas….(im from san diego)

thankfully there is Crown and Anchor Pub. where ill be watching Bolton-Stoke!